This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281232 by J-HALEY
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:28 pm
Thanks Mark, I am actually off this weekend. I have been playing almost every Friday and Saturday with the country band. The Classic rock band plays on December 2, then country band. I’m hoping I can use this guitar for the Classic rock band too. I bought it mostly for country I’m really enjoying the challenge of mastering those country licks. One might say “I’ve Gone Country” :D
#281236 by MikeTalbot
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:37 pm
Great looking Tele!

I have to confess Mr. Haley, that years ago I played lead guitar in a country band and I really did not get it. Some of the stuff is pretty darn good but it was way outside how I knew to play. So I scouted up a 'real' country player and switched back to bass! :)

cheers
Talbot
#281246 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:41 pm
J-HALEY wrote:I ordered this Yesterday it is suppose to arrive this Friday I am so stoked!
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleAPM3SB

And Tele's aren't just for country music, of course. Through a good amp (or your Helix), you can get some good rock tones.
It took me some time to 'break in' my Tele (1972) - they used to come with a clearcoat on the neck and frets that took some time wear in correctly.
#281248 by J-HALEY
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:44 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
J-HALEY wrote:I ordered this Yesterday it is suppose to arrive this Friday I am so stoked!
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleAPM3SB

And Tele's aren't just for country music, of course. Through a good amp (or your Helix), you can get some good rock tones.
It took me some time to 'break in' my Tele (1972) - they used to come with a clearcoat on the neck and frets that took some time wear in correctly.

That's what I was hoping to hear Mike thanks! I have never owned a Tele and was looking to get some comments from experienced tele owners.
#281252 by schmedidiah
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:43 pm
:lol:
#281258 by Planetguy
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:27 pm
Jeff, no doubt you've heard me mention before that one of my favorite jazz axes is my thinline tele w .012 -.053 Thomastik flats on it.

w lighter gauge roundwounds on it, it's a killer blues, and rock gtr. teles are true chameleons that like wearing different clothes!

other than the maple fingerboard on your's ...that tele you have coming looks a lot like the '96 Tele i recently traded for a '97 GUILD Bluesbird.

#281259 by J-HALEY
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:43 pm
Planetguy wrote:Jeff, no doubt you've heard me mention before that one of my favorite jazz axes is my thinline tele w .012 -.053 Thomastik flats on it.

w lighter gauge roundwounds on it, it's a killer blues, and rock gtr. teles are true chameleons that like wearing different clothes!

other than the maple fingerboard on your's ...that tele you have coming looks a lot like the '96 Tele i recently traded for a '97 GUILD Bluesbird.

Both of those are Beautiful Mark! Yes the tele I have coming looks just like that but with a maple neck. I did a lot of research and folks are saying you lose a little of that Tele twang with the rosewood fretboard. I bought this mainly for country but am hoping I can use it for rock too. It looks like I will be able to so I can't wait for Friday and it's arrival!
#281260 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:51 pm
F*ck mojo. A good guitar player can make a Walmart guitar sound good. Don't believe me, do a youtube search.

I've never been a country music player, but have been a Tele player for 45 years. Through the clean channel of a Fender amp, you can sure get that twang, but put some juice into that sound, and it'll rock, do blues or anything else. Again, don't believe me, just do a youtube search. And listen for yourself.

Jeff - I use Fender Bullet 9s on my tele most of the time, even though I'm a hard strummer, always liked how slinky they were at this gauge.
BTW - go buy a few of the chromed 'grommets' that fit in the back of the guitar that the strings go through. If you ever break a string on stage, it can be a PITA to go searching for one that fell out and rolled away.
And I don't need to tell you about straplocks - Teles are a lot heavier than Strats, although not as heavy as LPs.
#281261 by MikeTalbot
Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:44 pm
Many of the Stones biggest hits feature Keith on a Tele. I set mine up like his just for grins, five strings and banjo tuning. It was the first time my guitar ever sounded right on Honky Tonk Woman.

The amp does matter though, I sold an old Standell amp to a country player who loved it for the same reason I didn't. It was just too clean.

I prefer my Firebird to all six string guitars but can say for sure I've never played a better action than my Tele and that thing does roar.

Talbot
#281266 by Planetguy
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:15 pm
J-HALEY wrote:
Both of those are Beautiful Mark!
Thanks. I do miss that tele....it played like the proverbial "butter" (but not as messy)

I've never really been much of a Les Paul guy but i used to have an '85 Gibson THE PAUL that i dug and have missed after selling it a few yrs ago. I've always liked the smokey jazz tones you can find on the neck p/u of LPs when you roll the tone back and I was hoping to get some of that w this Bluesbird but my, my....those Seymour Duncan SD1's are pretty hot pickups.

It's chambered so not too heavy and that does seem to lend a little more "airy" resonance to it.

Still, I'm really digging the gtr even if it is in black (my LEAST favorite color for gtrs).

Yes the tele I have coming looks just like that but with a maple neck. I did a lot of research and folks are saying you lose a little of that Tele twang with the rosewood fretboard. I bought this mainly for country but am hoping I can use it for rock too. It looks like I will be able to so I can't wait for Friday and it's arrival!

quite right, there. (and that's EXACTLY why i prefer rosewood on my FENDERS.....i can still get 'em pretty bright and snappy but they're a little more "mellow" sounding. another advantage of maple is w that stronger fundamental maple neck/f-brd imparts, they seem to do better if running effects is your thing.
#281273 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:21 pm
Thank you Mr Argue-with-everything. I read what you wrote and I said I what I felt about it - F*CK MOJO - what you say is just BS.

This pic is my original pickguard, signed by Todd Rundgren, along with pics of him playing his 52 Reissue Tele and an old pic of me playing my 72 - my wife gave this to me a few years ago.

#281274 by J-HALEY
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:43 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Thank you Mr Argue-with-everything. I read what you wrote and I said I what I felt about it - F*CK MOJO - what you say is just BS.

This pic is my original pickguard, signed by Todd Rundgren, along with pics of him playing his 52 Reissue Tele and an old pic of me playing my 72 - my wife gave this to me a few years ago.

That pretty badass Mike! How did you get his autograph on your pickguard?
#281286 by schmedidiah
Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:16 pm
I play heavy rock music on a 72 Tele Deluxe (reproduction). Even with 2 humbuckers, I'm wondering if Mr Argumentative Genius thinks my MOJO is compromised. :lol: