This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279355 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:47 pm
'Solo acoustic guitar with female singer'? Here's a few I've done with a local singer recently:

Crazy Train (yes, the Ozzy song)
FIre & Rain
Exes and Ohs
Losing My Religion
Turn Back Time
Linger
My Church
#279664 by ghost 62
Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:46 pm
thx for all the input,sorry it took so long to reply been very busy had some real nice gigs and trying to move my elderly mother in ,as for my grammer ,your right it sucks ,just be happy I spell most of the words right lol,and no its not gonna get any better .so deal with it or dont reply ps my computer skills suck too ,but im on here to correspond with musicians not english teachers.as for my skill level you can check out my bandmix profile and my vids and make your own assessment ,again to those of you who responded thx ghost
#279678 by Planetguy
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:51 pm
ghost 62 wrote: as for my grammer ,your right it sucks ,just be happy I spell most of the words right lol,and no its not gonna get any better .so deal with it or dont reply ps my computer skills suck too ,but im on here to correspond with musicians not english teachers.

very well said!

while hitting wrong strings at the wrong frets DOES impact communication.....those who aren't "snowflakes" surely would have no trouble understating what you communicated.

that aside, let me weigh in with my thoughts on songs of a female persuasion before i distress any "snowflakes" by straying too far afield of the OP's original post.

i can't offer up much when it comes to current day stuff as i couldn't name you one song by adelle, katy perry, lady gaga, or any of the other present day popular female singers. but, last yr I played a one off (one and done!) gig accompanying a female singer. she was a royal pain in the ass to work with, but that's another story for another day.

she did a lot of newer songs that i was unfamiliar with....most were sing-song pop swill that made my skin crawl, but she did introduce me to sara bareilles and eva casidy. both really impressed me. especially casidy.

a cpl of other females whose work you might want to check out and possibly mine would be nora jones, alison Kraus, and a wonderful singersongwriter I recently discovered....zoe muth.

good luck.
#279810 by schmedidiah
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm
saraha1228147 wrote:I would like to hear catlyin jenner sing my dingaling

:lol:

FAVORITE NEW MEMBER!
#279829 by Displaced Pianist
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:53 pm
Just to add to what P-guy said--but then, I'm told we're one and the same person, so...
Planetguy wrote:i can't offer up much when it comes to current day stuff as i couldn't name you one song by adelle, katy perry, lady gaga, or any of the other present day popular female singers. but, last yr I played a one off (one and done!) gig accompanying a female singer. she was a royal pain in the ass to work with, but that's another story for another day.

Ditto, and one of the reasons why I mostly avoid dedicated singers, regardless of gender. I don't have a problem w/ a singer who can actually play an instrument, but for whatever reason, chooses not to do so. They tend not to be annoying at all. Regardless of gender.
Planetguy wrote: a cpl of other females whose work you might want to check out and possibly mine would be nora jones, alison Kraus, and a wonderful singersongwriter I recently discovered....zoe muth.

Been checkin' out Nora Jones more lately, after seeing her on Austin City Limits a couple times. Very good stuff--and hey, whattaya know: she plays the piano!

I go way back w/ Alison Krause--and hey, whattaya know: she plays the fiddle! A former gf got me to go see her when she was doing her time in Columbus; if you want to know if something is palatable to the masses, try it out in Columbus. I was sloggin' along doing blues piano at the time, but still got out to hear other folks, and Union Station was completely different from anything I'd ever heard. At first, that soprano voice took some time to get used to, but US was still well worth seeing. Got to gab w/ her a few times after gigs. I gotta admit, while they were really good, I wasn't so sure they'd become as significant as they are today. But what do I know 'bout anything...
#279912 by Displaced Pianist
Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:52 pm
yod wrote:
Displaced Pianist wrote: if you want to know if something is palatable to the masses, try it out in Columbus..

Ohio? Georgia? S Carolina?

Ohio. Might be a dismal admission, but way back in da day, I didn't know there were other places called "Columbus." Found out about Columbus, GA when I was in the army, and hadda drive there from Anniston to catch a flight to...Columbus. Weird.

Columbus was well known as a 'test-case' city; might still be, dunno. Fast-food chains like Wendy's got their start there, and very often, when a major corp. (fast food or otherwise) wanted to try out something new/different, they tried it in Columbus first (for ex., I heard that the McRib was tried out in Columbus first). I guess the rationale was that it had a large, diverse population in the melting-pot Midwest, the largest university (at the time--might still be) in the country, etc. If it didn't fly there, it prob. wouldn't anywhere else, but if it did, it had a chance.

This was true of music as well. Bands like The Cars and The Godz did time there (sorta like being in jail--ha!), likewise Joe Walsh (used to date his cousin), L.A. Jenkins, McGuffey Lane (remember them?), Union Station, etc. Not all of them made it big, but proportionately, quite a few did, and many others at least got recording contracts. The music scene was anything but homogeneous, and on any given night, you could go hear whatever genre you wanted. Even jazz.
#279913 by DainNobody
Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:38 pm
The McCoys with Rick Derringer are from Ohio..
:)
#279918 by Planetguy
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:14 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote: The music scene was anything but homogeneous, and on any given night, you could go hear whatever genre you wanted. Even jazz.

NON HOMOGENIZED YOU SAY????!!!!!!

and even jazz????? ah, different times. different times. :(
#279919 by Planetguy
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:19 pm
Displaced Pianist wrote:
Ohio. Might be a dismal admission, but way back in da day, I didn't know there were other places called "Columbus."

don't feel bad DP. i had the same thing happen to me about Monitcello! WHAT...there's ANOTHER Monticello BESIDES the one in NY????

being a typical NY'er, i assumed everything began and ended at the NY border.....and truth be told, in full disclosure.....it REALLY all began and ended at NYC's border!
#279920 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:41 pm
The Cars came from Boston. Saw them open for Rick Derringer at the Paradise in 77, I think, before they released their first album. They didn't even have Greg Hawkes on keyboards playing with them yet. they were pretty bad.
#279930 by Displaced Pianist
Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:51 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:The Cars came from Boston. Saw them open for Rick Derringer at the Paradise in 77, I think, before they released their first album. They didn't even have Greg Hawkes on keyboards playing with them yet. they were pretty bad.

Right, Mike. There's a concert vid of them on YT from around that time--but just after their first album--and they were still pretty bad. The story is that Rik Ocasek met Bennie Orr in Cleveland, and they both ended up in Columbus, doing folk-type music (imagine that!) and going nowhere. They ended up in Boston, where they hooked up w/ Elliot Easton, etc. and started to evolve into what they became. I guess flopping in Columbus can be as instructive as making it.

A personal Cars anecdote. After the 1st album was out and "Just What I Needed" was in heavy rotation, they were on the bill for a rock fest @ Legend Valley, just outside Columbus, in '78. My folks had the concessions contract and I worked it (sorta) which gave me a backstage pass. I hit the buffet tent and sat at 1 of the long tables, and there's these guys sitting across from me w/ multi-colored, streaked hair; I had never seen even a photo of the Cars and had no idea who they were. So we're chowin' down, smokin' some weed and yakkin' about this-and-that, and they were pretty low-key: just some folks gettin' some grub and chillin' out. I figured they were 1 of the bands, but thought it might be too fan-ish to ask. I was just happy to be out of the hot sun and get some decent food. It was a long day.

It wasn't until they went on--they weren't the headliner--that I realized who they were. They did a really good set that day. So I hung out w/ the Cars for a while...and didn't even know it.