This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279666 by GuitarMikeB
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 pm
Been playing for 45+ years, and finally got my first nylon string guitar! The main reason I never got one before (other than lack of need) was the too-wide fingerboards n classical guitars. For my short fingers, they were just plain uncomfortable and hard to play.
So when I played a hybrid Taylor earlier this year, I knew that's what I wanted. Yeah, laminated body (walnut), but has a very nice sound - and was within my price range!
https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/114ce-n
#279669 by J-HALEY
Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:57 am
Congrats on the new acquisition! My first nylon was the wide neck. I absolutely loved it! I was 15 and my stepmom Consuelo bought it for me. To this day I can pick one up and instantly feel at home!
#279675 by Planetguy
Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:18 pm
what jeff said....congrats on the new axe! those are some nice gtrs.

a few yrs back when I was in the mkt for a nylon string I tried one but couldn't get w the thinner neck!

that's one of the things that sold me on my Godin Multiac.... it's 1 7/8" neck.
#279688 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:26 pm
The Taylor has a 1-7/8" nut width, too. The same as my 12-string. My Taylor 310 has a 1-3/4", which took some getting used to as my older acoustic are all 1-5/8".
The Godins are good for plugged-in use, but I don't like their (lack of) acoustic sound at all. I doubt I will ever play this plugged in much, but for recording it should be great with a couple of condenser mics on it.
#279736 by J-HALEY
Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:31 pm
Crazy how much difference 1/8" makes. When getting a new guitar I prefer the differences they have. It forces you to adapt and play them like they were meant to be played. That's my opinion.
#279738 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:27 pm
I always liked classical guitars because they have a wider neck. Makes finger picking easier.

Congrats on the new ax, Mike. How is the trio doing?

A lady tried to sell me her dead husband's Godin last week. I didn't know what it was worth. Anybody looking for something like that? I think she'd take any serious offer.
#279746 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:40 pm
yod wrote:I always liked classical guitars because How is the trio doing?

Our next gig is in 3 weeks, then we've got a couple gigs booked in each of November and December - one place just had us commit to once a month through 2018.
There are way too many bands around here playing for peanuts, which just hurts it for the rest of us.
#279749 by MikeTalbot
Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:26 am
I was at an art show in Roswell (GA) last weekend and we do things like that in a big way here. Streets blocked off, live band and so on.

The bad news, nobody was really paying any attention to the music at all.

Talbot
#279780 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:02 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I was at an art show in Roswell (GA) last weekend and we do things like that in a big way here. Streets blocked off, live band and so on.

The bad news, nobody was really paying any attention to the music at all.

Talbot

There's one of those this weekend in Nashua (New Hampshire, about 30 miles from me) and again in 3 weeks. They were soliciting bands and players - at NO pay, and you had to bring your own sound system, too. That would be fine if there was a chance of getting booked at a local club or bar, or selling some CDs, but it will be the same thing - people just walking by, not paying attention.
#279805 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 pm
george1146561 wrote:We have some excellent free outdoor concerts on the town square in Duluth, GA. And usually, people pay attention to the performers.

Yes, people will pay attention to the music at a CONCERT (where most likely the performers are getting paid) - Talbot was talking about an ART SHOW where there was music playing. Around here, we have those, we have craft fairs, and farmers markets, all of which may have bands or soloists playing. Some actually pay the players, but not all, and the number of people paying attention (for more than a minute or two) is minimal, because the people are not there to listen to music, they are there for other purposes. really no different than playing at a restaurant or bar where you are 'background music' - people are there to eat or drink, the music is not what they go there for.
#279818 by MikeTalbot
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:49 am
George

If you have as many pretty girls as I saw last weekend I may have to consider Duluth as my backup location!

Talbot
#279828 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:28 pm
george1146561 wrote:
GuitarMikeB wrote:
george1146561 wrote:We have some excellent free outdoor concerts on the town square in Duluth, GA. And usually, people pay attention to the performers.

Yes, people will pay attention to the music at a CONCERT (where most likely the performers are getting paid) - Talbot was talking about an ART SHOW where there was music playing. Around here, we have those, we have craft fairs, and farmers markets, all of which may have bands or soloists playing. Some actually pay the players, but not all, and the number of people paying attention (for more than a minute or two) is minimal, because the people are not there to listen to music, they are there for other purposes. really no different than playing at a restaurant or bar where you are 'background music' - people are there to eat or drink, the music is not what they go there for.

When Duluth has a public event, like our Fall Festival, there are art displays, rows and rows of 10 x 10 displays of artists' and crafters' wares, food trucks, and all the other stuff you refer to. And, there is a small stage where troubadours, singer/songwriters, and small groups perform that usually get audiences that'll sit and enjoy for longer than a few moments. And then there's the main event act on the main stage. Sometimes there are also buskers, and they draw and hold audiences based on their skills and talents. If a busker or small stage performer can't hold an audience, it's the performer's fault, not the audience's or the venue's.

Again, that's not an ART SHOW, it's a festival with music as one of its components.