This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279695 by ClearancePuppy
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:35 pm
Sup guys, I'm a rapper. I feel like I made some pretty original content that a lot of people would like, but I don't know how to make it blow up (if it's possible). I already finished the ep and want to upload it to youtube but don't know what I can do to get it more recognition. Should I post it all as one video? Or upload them all as a bunch of videos in a playlist? If I post it in one video then it'd get more views probably, but most video don't like to watch from that format. If I put them in a playlist individually I'd probably get very few views on each video, at least in the beginning. (I'm trying to release it this weekend.)

What do you guys think I should do? I've been thinking about this for a while and am still not sure.
Thanks in advance for your help
#279747 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:41 pm
You could do it both ways, but the fact is most people don't watch more than a minute (if that) of any video. The only way to get views is spread the word to fans and friends. Assume you have FB, twitter, etc.
#279751 by schmedidiah
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:59 am
You need DJs playing your stuff. Start at parties and events, work your way up from there. Ask yourself, is there a shortage of unsigned rappers on YouTube?
#279763 by MikeTalbot
Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:34 pm
GMike

1 Minute into video? Maybe some folks but not me. I love YouTube, I'm seeing all my favorite bands playing live and since I've rarely owned a TV it's pretty cool. Watching the Airplane do Two Heads is definitely more than a one minute experience. I can watch the whole history of Nightwish, the War of the Worlds musical production, it's really hog heaven out there...

But I get your point. Back in the day when we sent out tapes we knew that producers weren't going to listen to more than a minute or two.

Talbot
#279779 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:00 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:GMike

1 Minute into video? Maybe some folks but not me. I love YouTube, I'm seeing all my favorite bands playing live and since I've rarely owned a TV it's pretty cool. Watching the Airplane do Two Heads is definitely more than a one minute experience. I can watch the whole history of Nightwish, the War of the Worlds musical production, it's really hog heaven out there...

But I get your point. Back in the day when we sent out tapes we knew that producers weren't going to listen to more than a minute or two.

Talbot

Talbot - I'm referring to today's teen and twenty-somethings with ADHD. Their attention span is less than a minute.
#279784 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:34 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:
Talbot - I'm referring to today's teen and twenty-somethings with ADHD. Their attention span is less than a minute.

Actually those are the very people driving YouTube to be the monstrous giant it is. They watch YouTube instead of television because of that ADHD thing.

Advise to the OP:
Put everything on YouTube but don't depend on youtube to get people there. You can use each video as a way of streaming your songs to people instead of making them download. This is the beauty of youtube. Start a youtube channel for your music that is linked from your website.

Also, try to get your songs on another playlist of hip-hop that has millions of views for gaining new fans.
#279806 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:40 pm
yod wrote:Actually those are the very people driving YouTube to be the monstrous giant it is. They watch YouTube instead of television because of that ADHD thing.

Yeah, but they are clicking to the next video after a minute (or less) unless they are horny teen boys and there are half-dressed women in the video.