This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

All users can post to this forum on general music topics.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#279472 by yod
Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:21 am
MikeTalbot wrote:As a songwriter I learn toward Ted's view just a bit. George has a made a good, if rather heated case that has some merit.

So here is something for both of you to consider. Kieth Richards wrote that songwriting is like chasing butterflies with a net, if you don't catch it you lose it, it doesn't belong to you until you have it. That suggests to me that songwriters, perhaps even me, might grab songs in their net that didn't really belong to them, they just reeled them in...

Our nets seem usually to catch songs that fit us as who we are, our personalities. But that doesn't mean something else doesn't slip into the net on occasion and sits there stoically awaiting the folks that can bring it to life.

Talbot

yep, thanks for trying anyway....

:lol: :roll:

drat, drat, and double-drat to those evil butterflies!!!! :evil:

#279479 by george1146561
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:34 pm
The problem with any metaphor to describe songs is that none of them are truly accurate. Creating a piece of music, recorded or performed live, usually requires a team of people, and though writing the song comes first chronologically, it isn't necessarily the most important aspect of the finished product.

I've noticed that the worst, most insufferable egotists in music are those who claim that whatever they do is always most important. That goes for singers, instrument players, producers, arrangers, and of course, songwriters. Even then, in a partnership of composer and lyricist, often the two each claim they're most important.
#279608 by Dave Huffman
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:58 pm
I see a lot of starving "Uncover"l bands around here. If you want to gig & make some $$ do covers & throw in a few songs written by the band. I make every song I play my own & hate when the band wants to sound just like the album.

Cheese 1955 8)
#279609 by yod
Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:16 pm
....especially when they couldn't if they tried their hardest
#279616 by george1146561
Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:39 pm
Dave Huffman wrote:I see a lot of starving "Uncover"l bands around here. If you want to gig & make some $$ do covers & throw in a few songs written by the band. I make every song I play my own & hate when the band wants to sound just like the album.

Cheese 1955 8)

There's another option. Do like this band, and write "original" songs that are almost indistinguishable from original songs by other artists. That way, you get to brag that you write "originals", even though your songs are derivative semi-copies of other artists' work.

Here's a great example or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qf8y7v0WIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukIsUd0r0YM

Here's another example from a different band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n03a7cLf0M

The thing is, there's nothing wrong with re-working the musical cliches of a genre to make a slightly different song and calling it "original". Just don't let your ego run wild when that's all you're really doing.