This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#290460 by schmedidiah
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:06 pm

:lol:
#290487 by Planetguy
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:12 pm
hard for me to imagine anyone signing up, knowing the entire time they're at The Space Academy.... they're going to be referred to as Space Cadets.
#290516 by Jahva
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:08 pm
Neil deGrasse Tyson seems to think it's a needed dept.
Says we probably need a Cyber force as well... we do have quite a lot of money invested floating around out there... someone needs to protect it.
He brought up a point that there is no plan in place anywhere in the world to protect us from an asteroid heading towards us and how to stop it...
#290569 by MikeTalbot
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:14 am
It's interesting to me as a sci fi type that we have allowed our politics to get so messed up that no one trusts any politician or govt anymore. Probably wise in most cases except for one:

What if they have actually detected an alien space fleet heading towards Earth? Who would believe them? We better hope that if that is the case, the aliens simply want to enslave us rather than consume us! "It's a cookbook!"

Talbot
#290570 by schmedidiah
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:57 am
if an alien civilization can travel from there to here, it's all over. they have our number. computer viruses, human viruses and water? that's Hollywood. better hope it's a swift and painful death instead of enslavement or medical experimentation or whatever..... :shock:
#290574 by Jahva
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:22 pm
I don't recall any talk about "Aliens" :lol: but we do have adversaries right here that can be a threat to our satellite systems... and then there's the possibility of something like and asteroid that can potentially do some damage.
IDK... it seems reasonable to have land, sea, air, cyber and space... protection.
#290578 by J-HALEY
Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:15 pm
It’s not just aliens from another planet we have to worry about. Their are terrestrial human civilizations such as China that we have to worry about!
#290591 by J-HALEY
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:25 pm
Here is an example of why a space force is needed. FYI this is an article in sapce.com about a new satellite the Russians launched recently into orbit that is behaving quite oddly.

https://www.space.com/41503-russian-sat ... eapon.html
#290592 by MikeTalbot
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:27 pm
Maybe Ivan knows something we don't? 8)

Talbot
#290925 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:09 am
Al Coholic wrote:Space Farce?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

We need to start calling you AASS OHOLIC. Maybe just ASSSS.

obama DEFUNDED NASA. It was expensive. That was the excuse...

IT was the greatest think tank in the world. Brilliant men brought together to solve problems as complicated as space travel.
When everyone is screaming for GREEN TECH,...
WHY WOULD A PERSON in a POWERFUL POSITION in favor of RENEWABLE ENERGY...

DESTROY WHAT WAS IN PLACE!

I can only come to the conclusion it was to stop America from being GREAT.
#290934 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:25 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:We need to start calling you AASS OHOLIC. Maybe just ASSSS.

obama DEFUNDED NASA. It was expensive.

I already showed that this is not true. Stop repeating yourself. Check the numbers here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA (but there's probably too much math involved for you)
#290935 by Jahva
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:13 pm
From an article a few years ago...

As measured by the absolute total federal dollars devoted annually to civilian space activity, space exploration resources are near an all time high (approximately 17.6 billion dollars). Even accounting for inflation, the absolute dollar amount devoted to space is roughly comparable to the NASA budgets throughout the agency's history with the exception of the heaviest expenditures during the Apollo program. Improvements in productivity in the US economy allow NASA budgets to remain significant even as such expenditures represent a smaller percentage of overall federal spending.

Moreover, if we are to base activity on the quantity of useful science accomplished, the rate of progress has never been greater. Advancements in space technology and, perhaps more importantly, electronics have made it possible to achieve far more with much less money. Historically, approximately half of all unmanned probes have been launched since the turn of the century. Moore’s Law ensures that as a general proposition, on a dollar for dollar basis, each succeeding spacecraft is more capable than the one before it.

:roll:

I worked for a DOD contractor for about 10 years at what was then called Lewis Research Center in Cleveland Ohio... it's now Glenn Research Center.. just so we're clear here... named after John Glenn :)
Every year we'd go through this stress of possibly losing some of our budget... or getting out-right slashed
NASA doesn't have protected funding like SS or Welfare... so it's had it's ups and downs over the decades.
And before you jump all over me... just saying it's much more difficult for a politician to say they are going to cut SS or Welfare than NASA..
#291006 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:37 am
Let's talk about this some more.
Java brought up some good points and so did you., Mike.
But the statistics you pointed to do not cover all the truth and the #s do not show the total truth.
By the way thanks for the little dig in your post stating that I am too stupid to understand simple numbers.

IN MY OPINION. A major funding of from government and personal resources to fund exponential space research....

WILL BE THE ONLY THING TO SAVE MANKIND.
(there might be a helping hand behind this.)