This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#289114 by Planetguy
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:38 pm
J-HALEY wrote: hopefully we can raise enough money that they can get metal detectors and demolish the Art Hall where the shootings took place so the kids don’t have to be reminded of what happed there!

is that a decided deal...tearing down the Art Hall? if so i don't know how i feel about that. i get that it'd be a reminder of what happened but is that necessarily a "bad thing"? following the logic of it being a painful reminder ...why stop w just the Art Hall? I mean, along THOSE lines....would not the whole school be a painful reminder?

were i the parent of child slain there...i'm not sure I'd want it torn down.

then again, it's just a matter of time til the repubs would tear it down anyway as they continue to cut money to the arts. right? why are we wasting money on the arts when we have to beef up our military with the Space Force?
#289115 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:48 pm
J-HALEY wrote:Mark, MickB, Schmedd are you for open borders?

No, I'm not. But WTF has that got to do with WHY you posted your original link - and why do you continue to not explain why you did?
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#289128 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:42 pm
Planetguy wrote: it's just a matter of time til the repubs would tear it down anyway as they continue to cut money to the arts. right? why are we wasting money on the arts when we have to beef up our military with the Space Force?

That's a good question. We damn sure need to win the Space Race to maintain military dominance, true.

But the remark about funding the arts? That's baloney. REAL artists have no shortage of ability or funding to create art....without taking money from my pocket to insult all people of faith. Money for the arts dried up because of abuse from liberals....not from miserly Republicans.

#289129 by Planetguy
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:52 pm
i was referring to money for music and programs in schools that REPUBLICANS want to cut.

and who wants to do aways with PBS , not dems....REPUBLICANS. who wants to cut money to fund the arts? REPUBLICANS...not dems.

get real, ted....sometimes you're just plain silly. (this is one of them) :wink:
#289130 by Mordgeld
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:56 pm
yod wrote:
Planetguy wrote: it's just a matter of time til the repubs would tear it down anyway as they continue to cut money to the arts. right? why are we wasting money on the arts when we have to beef up our military with the Space Force?

That's a good question. We damn sure need to win the Space Race to maintain military dominance, true.

But the remark about funding the arts? That's baloney. REAL artists have no shortage of ability or funding to create art....without taking money from my pocket to insult all people of faith. Money for the arts dried up because of abuse from liberals....not from miserly Republicans.

Hmm, so the arts wouldn't exist if they didn't take money from me to support them? Why am I buying tickets/entrance to shows or galleries then? I'm with you on this one, yod. If something is in demand, it doesn't need help from the government to thrive.

I thought we had some treaties with respect to militarizing space but I don't have that info handy. With proper budgeting (not the baseline budgeting crap) we are certainly affluent enough that we could fund many things that would make our life better. The moral hazard lies in using someone else's money to do it. Here's some good speculation. Maybe we already have a space force and Trump is trying to find an excuse to get it above-the-table funding.
#289134 by schmedidiah
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:08 pm
For me, I would prefer to cut welfare and food stamps to fund art and music education for our kids, defund public broadcasting and NEA (natl endowment for the arts), and militarize space all you want, it won't keep us safe from attacks on our antiquated power grid or from cyber attacks.
#289135 by Planetguy
Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:09 pm
I could have been more clear, but i hoped that in the context of tearing down the Art Hall at that school it might have been clear that I was referring to funding music programs and art programs in our schools....funding for trips to art museums and concerts and the like. The truth it's not the dems and lefties who are for cutting money for that.

like i said...i could have been clearer on that.
#289144 by J-HALEY
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:32 pm
Mark, Santa Fe is a small town population under 13k. Relax no one is targeting the arts. Yes the decision has already been made the school district will build a new building. It Boggles my mind that you can try and make this political, you really are a piece of work dude. You should get some help for this hatred problem you have.
#289169 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:33 pm
Planetguy wrote:i was referring to money for music and programs in schools that REPUBLICANS want to cut.

and who wants to do aways with PBS , not dems....REPUBLICANS. who wants to cut money to fund the arts? REPUBLICANS...not dems.

get real, ted....sometimes you're just plain silly. (this is one of them) :wink:

Right.....I'm fully aware.

Evidently you don't know how all that started with "Piss Christ" in the 80s

.. Then one offensive piece of "art" after another kept coming until Republicans, urged by their constituents like me, decided we shouldn't have to pay to be insulted. Heck, we get that from mainstream media free every day?

The absolute WORST liberal organization in America is the N.E.A. teachers union. No thanks.....I'll get my kid music lessons elsewhere.

#289172 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:55 pm
"I'm taking your guns..."

The one time I heard that when it didn't annoy me. I was drinking with some friends at the sort of Old Atlanta place called Canton Street in Roswell GA. A wonderful place, beautiful waitresses, good friends and decent bourbon.

We were chatting about one of our visits to my friend's farm - a wonderful place in Alabama that I liked so much I used it in a book. Rebecca reminded Lewis and I that we got absolutely hammered. That had slipped my mind for some reason. Rebecca is the kind of wife men will kill for. She wasn't angry, just responsible. After all, we were out in the middle of nowhere and if we wanted to get drunk, so what?

We routinely wear side arms out in the wilds, and the farm sure qualifies. She reminded us that she had announced, "Hand over the guns boys, you all are drunk." And so we were. Being gentlemen, we handed her our pistols and poured another shot.

I'm so very lucky to have friends like that.

cheers
Talbot
#289484 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:50 pm
J-HALEY wrote:
Planetguy wrote:the "point"?

....just another example of some of the conservatives here stirring the pot...and for what purpose? to further unity and solidarity? to point out that it's the LEFTIES (as has been suggested here) who are keeping us divided and at each other's throats?

take a look at who starts all these threads. on rare occasions mike b will start a thread here, but scroll down and have a look at the threads and their titles to see who it is starting threads w the intent to argue, provoke, and talk $hit. how many have i started? how many has schmed? Mike B?

Jeff, how long ago was it that you claimed you were leaving the political sh*t slinging behind? Not long. But it hasn't taken you very long jump back in and to pick up the mantle from Slacker, has it? Damn, son ....my, how you picked up that ball! and my, my... how you run w it! You're the new Emmitt Smith!

So, tell me.....has that brought you much joy and satisfaction...has it brought you much peace and well being to you since you've taken up the "slack"? I'm guessing maybe not.

And let's be clear, none of that was said to insult you, or provoke more $hit slinging. I hope you don't misconstrue it that way. :)

You ARE the ones dividing the country! Look at the news nothing but hatred to the right. Look at this site you 3 libtards pounce on anyone with an opinion different from yours. Ya'll have been on me like a pack of rabid dogs!
Do you call that keeping the peace? :lol:
Glen is going to engage you and not back down. I will engage you when you start flinging the insults like Barney did this morning "Trumpeters" you calling Trump a "Shitbag". Now that's being civil isn't it.
All Punkass Schmeddley has is spelling and punctuation. Funny he never calls you out when you lack capitalization and spell coz?

YA KNOW WHAT?
I have known JEFF FOR YEARS... I Love the guy, he is a GREAT PLAYER and been through so much personal hell...
He put it best...

Glen is going to engage you and not back down.
:lol:
#289492 by schmedidiah
Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:05 pm
Glen is going to attack you and not back down. :roll:
#289504 by schmedidiah
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:35 am
Gleen is also going to call you a child rapist, because you're just an anonymous person on the internet. And he has no real arguments to offer. :roll:

:lol: