This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288809 by MikeTalbot
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:02 pm
A little essay where I stop complaining about politics and announce a real solution. The key of course is to identify the real issues.

Meat Pie Politics
----------------------

My cat is sitting happily in one of the many boxes I leave sitting around for her. Cats love boxes and rectangles for some reason. It was too dark for a picture and I didn't want to disturb her, yet for some reason my thoughts moved to politics.

Everyone seems obsessed with politics these days but the USA rivals Italy for constant revisions of the national outlook. With no false modesty, I'll state clearly that not only have I identified the problem but ladies and gentlemen, I have found the solution.

Having lived overseas I was able to identify what was holding this country back, why we had never really achieved gastronomic greatness...it was the lack of a decent meat pie.

Candy bars, chewing gum, hot dogs...please, it's no wonder we are mocked by the serious eaters of this world. Daggone it there are folks who want a snack that matters!

Yet even now, as I resist the temptation to reach into those tantalizing areas of my icebox where redemption awaits; I can know, I can believe again, that we will rise above mediocrity; that we have achieved greatness at last.

Who cares about that silly political nonsense! It's time to cut to the chase and dare I say it, to eat! In the freezer section of Publix in Atlanta, one can find both Jamaican and Australian meat pies!

It's our time! lift up you hands, my fellow Americans; stand up and cheer! All we ever really needed was a decent meat pie.

cheers
Talbot
#288810 by schmedidiah
Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:22 pm
I've heard of these but unfortunately, the only country I've been to besides the USA (*and technically Texas and Hawaii) is Mexico. And who knows what breed of pooch would be in your meat pie there. :wink:
#288811 by MikeTalbot
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:34 am
Meat pies are European burritos! The Brits and Scots are good at cranking them out. I just had a frozen pie from Publix and I'm in a mild state of ecstasy.

Talbot
#288814 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:40 am
Tourtiere, the Quebec meat pie is well worth trying. But must be made right - a combination of spices that give it some heat, but just a little.
We have a meat market in town that makes good ones, and also offers individual meat pies in a variety of flavors, the most-popular ones being pork and chicken, but they have pepper steak, hamburg/onion, even salmon and veggie ones for non-meat eaters. And of course there is shepherd's pie, which is meat pie with veggies and potatoes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourti%C3%A8re Oh, now I've done it, Vampsmear and Glenny will now go off about immigrants, Canada-Trudeau, blah blah blah ....
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#288821 by Mordgeld
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:42 pm
Had some great meat pies at the Celtic Games. (formerly the Scottish Games) I wouldn't expect that haggis politics would go over as well, though.
#288833 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:01 am
I love a schawarma (arabic/israeli) or maybe a doner kabob (Turkish in Germany) a lot lot lot more....but those english meat pies aren't bad when properly done.
Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#288846 by Ancient Vegan
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:17 pm
Eat a Peach
#288869 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:29 pm
Ancient Vegan wrote:Eat a Peach

Why did you bring up Duane Allmans death?
That's freaky.
#288891 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:32 am
A friend sent me a link to an outfit in the UP in Michigan that purports to ship very decent meat pies. But no...they noticed somehow that it gets hot in the summer and suspended shipping until September.

Ted - there is a great Shcharma (sp?) about six miles from me called the Jerusalem Bakery. I was sort of gobsmacked the first time I checked that out. I guess they are sort of Middle Eastern burritos but I've never had a burrito that compared, at least not on the east coast.

Talbot