This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288206 by MikeTalbot
Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:44 pm
I propose a new rule for BM: Every time you call some one a dirty or vulgar name, or suggest that they are involved in unseemly conduct, you must also put up a music post. Don't hold back, we need all the music posts we can get!

Then we can all pretend that we "don't take no sh*t" while reminding ourselves that we are artists. And then compare the two posts and see which we feel better about.

Anyone who thinks that is a bad idea might consider this: we're on a music forum. Try counting your posts historically and see how they stack up.

Anger is our enemy. How many of us have played to empty rooms, hostile crowds or been jerked around by venue owners? It ain't like anger solves those issues. I've actually played a soul gig in Blythe California with out losing my temper. (too much, anyway...) 8)

What happened to those great posts where we discussed scales and modes? It's not exactly like those topics can be said to be concluded simply because one of us says, "Yeah, cool..."

So can someone explain why there are three types of minor scales (natural, harmonic and melodic) and why we'd select one over the other? How does that affect the modes played against minors? (and poor dummy Mike - I'm
trying to understand from the perspective of guitar, bass and piano)

Talbot
#288208 by schmedidiah
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:06 pm
Very admirable post.
#288209 by DainNobody
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:48 pm
#288212 by Planetguy
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:11 am
I'm on break of gig number two today w another two sets to go.

Yeah, I'm pretty fried but there's a good dancing crowd at the Truckstop so that helps.

Got an afternoon gig tomorrow then I MUST spend some time w the old lady tomorrow night or she's gonna forget who I am!

If no one answers your question about minor chords by Monday... I promise to do so then.

BTW.... I am always ready to answer any theory question to the best that I can.

Good on you, Mike!
#288218 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:23 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:I propose a new rule for BM: Every time you call some one a dirty or vulgar name, or suggest that they are involved in unseemly conduct, you must also put up a music post. Don't hold back, we need all the music posts we can get! ? (and poor dummy Mike - I'm
trying to understand from the perspective of guitar, bass and piano)

Talbot

you stinkin' dirty a-hole!!!!

Scales and theory make my eyes roll to the back of my head....so I have a different question.

What are the top 10 songs a solo guitarist/singer should cover to get gigs?

I'm doing way too well at my "regular" gig to consider anything else, but I do like going into jams/open mics on my nights off and showing off for the girls.

And isn't girls the reason why we're musicians, you stinkin' dirty rat?

:wink:

These are the songs I've learned in the last couple of weeks.

Wonderwall - Oasis
Don't Know Why - Nora Jones (this is quite a challenging part to learn!?)
You are Beautiful - Agullera
Love Me Like YOu Do - Ellie Goulding
Dirty Work - Steely Dan
Show Them To Me - Rodney Carrington
Best of You - Foo Fighters
The Reason - Hubistank
Fire & Rain - James Taylor
Everything I Own - Bread
Feel It Still (Rebel Just for Kicks)

#288224 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:22 am
Geez, I don't think Glenny and Vampy are going to adhere to this....

'Modes' - never paid attention to things like that. I use the chords/notes that feel 'right' to me.

As to Yod's '10 songs' - very dependent on where you are, who is there, age range, etc. FOr jamming, its going to be songs that are easy to play, and repetitive (unfortunately. Last night I jammed with a bunch of folks and 'You Can't Always Get What You Want was one song, a John Prine song another - both 3 chord wonders.
#288235 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:57 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Geez, I don't think Glenny and Vampy are going to adhere to this....

'Modes' - never paid attention to things like that. I use the chords/notes that feel 'right' to me.

As to Yod's '10 songs' - very dependent on where you are, who is there, age range, etc. FOr jamming, its going to be songs that are easy to play, and repetitive (unfortunately. Last night I jammed with a bunch of folks and 'You Can't Always Get What You Want was one song, a John Prine song another - both 3 chord wonders.

"Jamming" isn't something to be planned, but the kind of songs that could be pulled off with one guitar/vocal that engage a current nightclub audience doesn't seem as unlimited, especially if you limit "old fart" songs.

#288240 by Ancient Vegan
Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:34 pm
You know the third defines whether it's major or minor.

I think I call one of the minor scale the blues scale, and the other The Aeolian scale, the
sixth position of the major scale. Now I use to play more melodic when I was drinking and
partaking in the juke joints, here you could play either the blues scale, or the Aeolian scale,
and ramble around all those neighboring and passing tones. I do believe a certain amount of
beer and weed enhances this melodic effect.
#288264 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:59 am
You guys want to talk music, please go back to general music chat and I will once again waste a few words about how to TUNA A FISH!

Otherwise this side of the forum was set up to write about other things in a manner of civil discourse.

Funny how boring it gets when all you do is talk about tuning guitars. Funny when really good musicians post great music and they get ripped a new one...

We don't need new rules, we need all the little boys to go back to general chat where they can play with their peckers until they reach a point of mutual satisfaction. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!
#288272 by schmedidiah
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:09 am
Keep it up. It'll never happen. :lol:
#288301 by Ancient Vegan
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:28 pm
Glenn

MAN UP PECKERHEAD EVERYBODY KNOWS HOW YOU ARE

NARC I'LL TELL BM

WE CAN POST ANYWHERE WE WANT

YOU FIND FAULT IN EVERYTHING

LOOK IN THE MIRROR

THEY RUINED A GOOD DICK WHEN THEY PUT A SET OF EARS ON YOUR HEAD

I MEAN THAT IN THE NICEST WAY
#288312 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 pm
Well Glenn, if you'd prefer to call names and yell at folks, I have to ask where the 'civility' part kicks in. I had no idea I shouldn't post about music on a music forum.

Talbot
#288316 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:22 am
Ancient Vegan wrote:Glenn

MAN UP PECKERHEAD EVERYBODY KNOWS HOW YOU ARE

NARC I'LL TELL BM

WE CAN POST ANYWHERE WE WANT

YOU FIND FAULT IN EVERYTHING

LOOK IN THE MIRROR

THEY RUINED A GOOD DICK WHEN THEY PUT A SET OF EARS ON YOUR HEAD

I MEAN THAT IN THE NICEST WAY

Wow... You just displayed all your pitiful little life in one stupid attack.
You have to hang out here. You have no place else to go.
#288317 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:26 am
MikeTalbot wrote:Well Glenn, if you'd prefer to call names and yell at folks, I have to ask where the 'civility' part kicks in. I had no idea I shouldn't post about music on a music forum.

Talbot

Mike, please don't post things like that. YOU KNOW and I know BAND MIX separated the two forums to stop this, and leave the one MUSICAL SIDE, musical.
WHY are YOU posting BS like that!
I thought you were an American reasonable... Now you write shiiitt like that!