This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#284820 by J-HALEY
Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 am
Did anyone else watch last night? It was very refreshing to see Great music with REAL singers performing! The production was just phenomenal the performances were equally PHENOMENAL! I felt as though I was watching a Classic in the making and I was just blown away in the celebration and story of Jesus at church yesterday (Sunday) morning and on tv last night.
#284825 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:43 pm
You could have put this in the General Music section of the forum, Haley, not the 'Non-Music-Related', unless you want to talk about the religious aspect of it rather than the music.

I watched part of it. It seemed in the early part the 'chorus' were not singing live (while they were dancing) - I figured this was the case during the 'temple scene' as well, when the camera work was all blurry/out of focus, too. Also seemed the mixing was TOO GOOD during some of these chorus scenes, whereas when they were for sure doing it live, sometimes the mics were a little low, and you could tell they were slowly turning them up during the parts.
Missed Alice Cooper's scene, will have to catch the whole thing OnDemand. I knew all the parts by heart when this first came out, still have the double vinyl set.
#284829 by schmedidiah
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:01 pm
Nope. Never had any interest in this play/ production. Heard a bit of it on a live Deep Purple tape once and barfed a little. Sold the tape, too! :D
#284835 by Ancient Vegan
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:27 pm
I didn't watch it, but loved the original movie.

It'll probably be on Netflix
#284843 by J-HALEY
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:57 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:You could have put this in the General Music section of the forum, Haley, not the 'Non-Music-Related', unless you want to talk about the religious aspect of it rather than the music.

I watched part of it. It seemed in the early part the 'chorus' were not singing live (while they were dancing) - I figured this was the case during the 'temple scene' as well, when the camera work was all blurry/out of focus, too. Also seemed the mixing was TOO GOOD during some of these chorus scenes, whereas when they were for sure doing it live, sometimes the mics were a little low, and you could tell they were slowly turning them up during the parts.
Missed Alice Cooper's scene, will have to catch the whole thing OnDemand. I knew all the parts by heart when this first came out, still have the double vinyl set.

I didn't see any signs of lip singing in this production. It was a real live performance Mike. There were times when the singing was a bit pitchy. Not really looking to talk religion or politics with you guys anymore. No offense it just leads to nasty feelings. I don't know if you guys have noticed a difference in my attitude. I don't feel the need to be "right" all the time anymore. Friendship is more important to me these days than trying to prove a point. It's like Einstein's rule of trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
#284862 by MikeTalbot
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:30 am
Mr. Haley

I confess I used to hate that title song. I was in a band that had retired to a house in a small town to create our second album. (we bungled it of course) and periodically the local high school band would start blaring the song as loud as possible (right across the street) with what seemed like dozens of brass instruments, all playing badly! We usually rehearsed well into the night so having that descend upon us at 0800 was like waking up from a bad dream! 8)

That said, I'll check it out when it hits youTube. (no TV).

Talbot
#284866 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:58 am
I'm only going to say I was very fortunate to see this on Broadway 47 years ago. That was a great high school teacher that went way beyond to make that happen. She even paid for tickets for kids that had parents that couldn't afford them.
What a great teacher. She shared something that was amazing with a bunch of 15 year old kids.... And it was.
#284871 by Vampier
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:55 am
Haley ... excellent words defining how you feel and where you are coming from. I must confess I never liked GodSpell or the music. I was into very different productions at the time , although II fully understand the thrill of a massive live show well done and on a scale that one does not normally witness. I have never been into BroadWay Productions. Even when I dwelt in The Massive Pomme . When I moved to Dallas and got the buidling for my Project on Ervay St. then I met someone from the original production, I think his name was Michael Greenblatt or something like that. He was trying to get something going there and was vying for the same building. There was a newspaper article on it in which he stated that he stood on the corner outside the building for half an hour or something and counted cars driving by. I forget the number but he firmly believed that it somehow justified the location as a good one. He must have been speaking to Real Estate Trash a bit too much.
#284941 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:24 pm
In 71 I saw the traveling rock show version of JCS - no acting or dancing, just a good band backing the singers up. Here's the details I found online for that show:

The original touring company visited 54 locations across the USA and performed the show 74 times. Yvonne Elliman reprised her role as Mary, with Jeff Fenholt as Jesus, and Carl Anderson as Judas. The Pittsburgh event kicked off a sell-out concert tour of the US, booked by William Morris. These concerts included a cast of 26 plus 26 musicians, with lighting and costumes but no staging or sets. The first tour was so successful and demand so great that by the end of the summer of 1971, there were two arena concerts simultaneously touring America. Robert Stigwood unleashed the Second Company on September 17th in Providence, Rhode Island. He would later add a college touring company meaning that, at one stage, there would be three simultaneous arena tours performing the work around the United States. The arena tour of Jesus Christ Superstar sold out two nights at Los Angeles' famous Hollywood Bowl, taking $200,000 with a top ticket price of $10.

In 1975 I saw a 'theater in the round' version in Hyannis that featured Mark Volman ('Flo' of the Turtles/Frank Zappa fame) as a very flamboyant King Herod.
#284944 by J-HALEY
Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:43 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:In 71 I saw the traveling rock show version of JCS - no acting or dancing, just a good band backing the singers up. Here's the details I found online for that show:

The original touring company visited 54 locations across the USA and performed the show 74 times. Yvonne Elliman reprised her role as Mary, with Jeff Fenholt as Jesus, and Carl Anderson as Judas. The Pittsburgh event kicked off a sell-out concert tour of the US, booked by William Morris. These concerts included a cast of 26 plus 26 musicians, with lighting and costumes but no staging or sets. The first tour was so successful and demand so great that by the end of the summer of 1971, there were two arena concerts simultaneously touring America. Robert Stigwood unleashed the Second Company on September 17th in Providence, Rhode Island. He would later add a college touring company meaning that, at one stage, there would be three simultaneous arena tours performing the work around the United States. The arena tour of Jesus Christ Superstar sold out two nights at Los Angeles' famous Hollywood Bowl, taking $200,000 with a top ticket price of $10.

In 1975 I saw a 'theater in the round' version in Hyannis that featured Mark Volman ('Flo' of the Turtles/Frank Zappa fame) as a very flamboyant King Herod.

Very Cool, thanks for posting this Mike.
#285315 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm
Last night at an open mic I did a combination of 'My Jerusalem' and 'Pilate's Dream' - might be a first, doing JCS songs at an open mic!