This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#288739 by Mordgeld
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:33 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:Try this one. One of many.
https://youtu.be/UB62DMoNUvU

Now that is dangerous. Close in, if you don't stun them with the shock wave, you will burn them with the muzzle blast.

Mordgeld, In respect to Talbot... It takes no longer to regain site picture with a 500 than a rifle. The difference is it will go through the refrigerator, the bad guy is hiding behind and firing his nine millimeter pop gun.

Notice: All those old Garands were not designed for modern ammo.

I'm going to have to disagree. The fire rate of most rifles will be higher due to less muzzle rise. The recoil energy is delivered mostly straight back to the shoulder. You're kidding yourself if you think you can put as many rounds on target as a properly set up rifle in the same amount of time. This is why they say, in war, a handgun is good for one thing, getting another rifle.

Notice: That old-azz Garand ammo is going to carry refrigerator penetrating energy out to 300-500m. The 500s&w carries less energy and is down to the same ft lbs by 100m. A simple gas system upgrade will apparently set a Garand up for modern ammo with the faster burning powders.
#288748 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:02 am
Now back to the original question... The idiots didn't leave.
They are just busy wiggling a bunch of BS, like a customer in front of a prostitute.
#288760 by schmedidiah
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:22 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:Now back to the original question... The idiots didn't leave.
They are just busy wiggling a bunch of BS, like a customer in front of a prostitute.

Just come right out and say it. You believe only people you agree with have a right to post on this side of the forum. :roll:
#288769 by MikeTalbot
Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:53 pm
Mord

RE winter coats. I was trying to set up a test but couldn't find a daggone sould willing to put on a winter coat. 8)

Talbot
#288772 by Mordgeld
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:44 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:Mord

RE winter coats. I was trying to set up a test but couldn't find a daggone sould willing to put on a winter coat. 8)

Talbot

LOL, "hold my beer" and "check this out, y'all". Sounds like it would make a tragic YouTube vid.
#288777 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:20 pm
Mordgeld wrote:
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:Try this one. One of many.
https://youtu.be/UB62DMoNUvU

Now that is dangerous. Close in, if you don't stun them with the shock wave, you will burn them with the muzzle blast.

Mordgeld, In respect to Talbot... It takes no longer to regain site picture with a 500 than a rifle. The difference is it will go through the refrigerator, the bad guy is hiding behind and firing his nine millimeter pop gun.

Notice: All those old Garands were not designed for modern ammo.

I'm going to have to disagree. The fire rate of most rifles will be higher due to less muzzle rise. The recoil energy is delivered mostly straight back to the shoulder. You're kidding yourself if you think you can put as many rounds on target as a properly set up rifle in the same amount of time. This is why they say, in war, a handgun is good for one thing, getting another rifle.

Notice: That old-azz Garand ammo is going to carry refrigerator penetrating energy out to 300-500m. The 500s&w carries less energy and is down to the same ft lbs by 100m. A simple gas system upgrade will apparently set a Garand up for modern ammo with the faster burning powders.

No sorry. That is not true.
I don't own a Garand. However in reloading terms the neck spacing is different from modern available rounds. The older rounds will not match some of the modern ammo and is not recomended to be used in these older rifles.
A simple gas system upgrade will not fix this.

As far as powder, let explain. Faster powders create a fast pop that generates tremendous barrel pressure . These include typical powders, long shot and tight group and many more. Powders that burn slower actually produce a hiss out of the barrel because the force is not just creating tremendous barrel pressure but still creating tremendous follow through force, out of the muzzle.
This is a very short explanation.
Most people just buy bullets for their gun.

I guess you didn't look at the video. With the right ammo the 500 will go out 300 yards and still penetrate a fridge.
Just saying.
#288805 by schmedidiah
Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:41 pm
schmedidiah wrote:
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:Now back to the original question... The idiots didn't leave.

Just come right out and say it. You believe only people you agree with have a right to post on this side of the forum. :roll:

Bump!
#288806 by Mordgeld
Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:25 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:
... No sorry. That is not true.
I don't own a Garand. However in reloading terms the neck spacing is different from modern available rounds. The older rounds will not match some of the modern ammo and is not recomended to be used in these older rifles.
A simple gas system upgrade will not fix this.

As far as powder, let explain. Faster powders create a fast pop that generates tremendous barrel pressure . These include typical powders, long shot and tight group and many more. Powders that burn slower actually produce a hiss out of the barrel because the force is not just creating tremendous barrel pressure but still creating tremendous follow through force, out of the muzzle.
This is a very short explanation.
Most people just buy bullets for their gun.

I guess you didn't look at the video. With the right ammo the 500 will go out 300 yards and still penetrate a fridge.
Just saying.

I was not aware the dimensions of 30-06 or the related go gauge ever changed. The military used a different datum point for headspace but the actual dimension didn't change. I don't reload for it, so I'm going to leave it alone.

I'm not sure what you are saying about powder. Fast burning powders don't generate enough gas to operate the gas action in a rifle. The shorter impulse can bend the rod in a direct impingement system whereas the rod would already be moving when the slower powder reached max pressure. On a short action gas system like an AK, I can successfully use many pistol powders with no damage to the system.

My point was that the 30-06 had the same energy at 400ish meters as the .500 at 100m. Certainly, 30-06 will continue out much further losing less energy on the way. This is a function of the ballistic coefficient of a longer bullet. And your average refrigerater can be shot through by my 38 Super pop-gun anyway.
#288815 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:51 am
My point is it does come down to the ammo and the knowledge to do this safely.
Interesting fact about the 500. I can actually load "COWBOY ROUNDS" that are so mild (700 fps) that they make a standard 38, a big round. :) Then I can load a HOT round that is equal to rifle ballistics. And yes, it similar to firing a 12 gauge slug in your hand. Yes it is not for everyone.
Just saying it is the ammo. It is important to understand that to fully utilize any barrel.
#288820 by Mordgeld
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:37 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:My point is it does come down to the ammo and the knowledge to do this safely.
Interesting fact about the 500. I can actually load "COWBOY ROUNDS" that are so mild (700 fps) that they make a standard 38, a big round. :) Then I can load a HOT round that is equal to rifle ballistics. And yes, it similar to firing a 12 gauge slug in your hand. Yes it is not for everyone.
Just saying it is the ammo. It is important to understand that to fully utilize any barrel.

No, I get it. I actually have reloading experience for a couple of 50 cal rounds, both semi-auto. In the larger cal, sometimes you get more pronounced counterintuitive internal ballistics. Even the reloading tables specify a hard minimum for certain powders. With so much bullet surface against the lands, an undercharged case with fast powder will start the bullet out of the case where it stops for a moment after meeting the lands, creating a pressure spike before the action unlocks. I get that my setup is different than yours but be safe. 50s pack a lot of power that can escape in tragic ways if you are not diligent. Now that I think of it, a friend of mine had a. 500S&W pistol for a week. He cracked the frame with factory ammo; full refund.
#288828 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:13 am
I find that difficult to believe. I've put 2000 rounds through mine.The back strap is so over designed, the barrel, the cylinders.
X FRAME.
Can't talk now, my wife is looking for me to be real friendly.
#288831 by schmedidiah
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:09 am
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote: looking for me to be real friendly.

First time for everything :lol:
#288873 by Mordgeld
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:41 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:See that Mordgeld... If the idiots leave there is a first time of everything.

Good luck with that.