This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#282425 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:57 am
:lol: :lol:
If it is appropriate or required to wear a tie...
I was watching the sotu speech. I was bit disappointed in the number of politicians that can NOT tie a tie. Maybe it is just that they don't give a damn.

Anyway, I would only give President Trump's tie a B+. His tie was twisted to the left and left a dimple.
Our VP Mike Pence had a nice red and black tie. However it was bent and twisted to the left. I would have to give him an A-.
Then let's take a look at Speaker Ryan. Now that is a a tie. Single color, but dimpled in the the middle perfectly. A+++++.

Let's look through the rest of our representatives. I couldn't find one with a tie I would even give a D- too. Bent knots, twisted backstaps, basically just poor ornamentation.
I would have to say in a very opinionated way... That is how much they really give a krap about America. If you can't spend an extra 2 minutes to tie a tie ...

:P :roll:

(just being a PITA)(nicely)
#282428 by J-HALEY
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:58 pm
Did you notice the color of the Presidents tie? I thought for sure it should have been RED Lol! What about the congressman that couldn't stand the patriotic USA chant so he bolted from the room! He is an Illinois congressman if I remember correctly that is a strong supporter of illegal aliens!
#282440 by Ancient Vegan
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:08 pm
My Dad tied my tie for me in 1977 when I got out of basic training, I just loosened it and used the same knot the 3 yrs I was in the army. :lol:
#282447 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:54 pm
These days I only wear a tie for 4 reasons:
Wedding
Funeral
Job interview
Court appearance!
#282451 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:31 pm
I like Mikes response the best.

Wedding get the damn thing off fast so you can party.
Funeral, the dude is gone... Don't make me suffer by wearing this thing.
Job interview.... If I am going to wear a tie, it better be a20 million a year position.
Court appearance... You are phuched no matter what. Even the judge isn't wearing a tie. What a disrespectful representative of the law... We don't even know if he wearing pants under that robe. Didn't the KKK make huge use of judicial robes? Just saying...

I just brought up some ridiculosity for some fun.
#282454 by MikeTalbot
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:18 pm
I worked for three years bringing IT into a trucking company. The interview was a classic. The owner's son was chatting with me when the grumpy old bastard who owned the place walked in and said, "What's that stupid thing hanging around your neck?"

I stood up, pulled off the tie and tossed it in the trash can and sat back down. Got the job too.

Talbot
#282461 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:39 pm
Job I had 20 years ago, boss's rule was all guys in office had to wear a tie. That was his rule. I had a nightmare last night that I went back to work there - thanks for bringing up the subject. :roll:

For interviews - really depends on what the job is. If it's a professional job (i.e. white collar), then a tie is expected on the interview, even if not required when working.

Funeral - its a sign of respect, but if I go to a wake right after work, then I just wear whatever I was wearing at work that day. ('office casual' is our standard)

Court - why take a chance by looking shabby? No, it probably won't do any good, but won't do any harm either.
#282468 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Job I had 20 years ago, boss's rule was all guys in office had to wear a tie. That was his rule. I had a nightmare last night that I went back to work there - thanks for bringing up the subject. :roll:

Why a nightmare, you might ask? Some of the things that went on at that job:

The boss was the 'owner' - inherited from his father (his qualifications being that he had a Phys Ed degree from college). He was about 5'2" and his wife was 6 ft tall (looked like Olive Oyl) and really "pulled the strings". She really didn't like it if anyone working for her husband was smarter than him, so I was a target right away.

He hired a local high school kid to do any IT-equipment work (because it was cheaper). One of the things he had the kid do was install secret microphones in various places around the building, running lines to a controller hidden in his desk so he could listen to people's conversations.

One of my co-workers (there were several, none lasted long) was always cutting corny jokes and laughing at them himself. Our office was a skinny file room (about 6'x20') that was around the corner from the boss's office - whenever he heard anyone laughing he would come running into the office and say 'what's so funny?" and then push everyone to 'get back to work'. He's always say 'let's nip it in the butt and stop ___now' (not 'bud').

Because this was a small 'family run' business, there were Christmas bonuses - always announced at the mandatory-to-go-to Christmas party (had to wear a tie to that too). But he didn't hand out cash or checks, instead the 'bonus' was added to the company retirement fund/pension - and you had to work for the company for 10 years before you had any vesture in it. I lasted 5 years, so nothing for me.
#282470 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:34 am
I get it Mike. That is part of what is so messed up with selling your minutes.
That's why most of my life I have only worked for myself. I'm going to post an old song from 40 years ago. I wished I had polished it off better many years ago. The greatest thing about this song is this little young girl sax player came in and put down some really simple but great lines. Stuff was out of tune, Tempo was off, recorded on 6 track without headphones , and like I said bounced and never finished... Let me go see if I can find it and put it up.
Called FREE SPIRIT. Before you laugh I was just a 20 year old kid.

I know what you are saying... What I am saying is I don't count on anyone else BUT my wife. Especially not my government.
#282471 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:39 am
I did get it on my profile Mike. I just remember all the intonation problems I had with the equipment and the room. The drummer that put down those tracks was boring as heck. Vocals were near impossible. Mics were limited to a Beyer or a 58. Headphones were listening around the corner to control booth playback and the only reason I just posted this ...
Was because of what you posted about working for other people.
Even if it was a poor quality demo... I still love the heart that little girl sax player put into in to it. God that was so long ago. Wow.
Sorry if I'm unloading on you Mike. Just had another customer lose his wife of 56 years, and that was one more important thing I had to deal with today.

I haven't lost my sense of humor yet... Remember if you walk a mile in another mans shoes... At least you have his shoes and your a mile away. :roll: (groan)
#282486 by J-HALEY
Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:17 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:I did get it on my profile Mike. I just remember all the intonation problems I had with the equipment and the room. The drummer that put down those tracks was boring as heck. Vocals were near impossible. Mics were limited to a Beyer or a 58. Headphones were listening around the corner to control booth playback and the only reason I just posted this ...
Was because of what you posted about working for other people.
Even if it was a poor quality demo... I still love the heart that little girl sax player put into in to it. God that was so long ago. Wow.
Sorry if I'm unloading on you Mike. Just had another customer lose his wife of 56 years, and that was one more important thing I had to deal with today.

I haven't lost my sense of humor yet... Remember if you walk a mile in another mans shoes... At least you have his shoes and your a mile away. :roll: (groan)

Cool song, has a nice groove!