This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#282017 by GuitarMikeB
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:33 pm
Here in the northeast we've been having a pretty f**k up cold winter so far. This morning it was -6F when I got up, tying the coldest morning from last week. We had 15" of snow here on Thursday (I worked from home) and it was a slippery ride to work the next day (and yesterday morning) in my truck with almost 200K miles on it and 80K miles on the old tires!
My truck had 4WD, at least. The previous Frontier I had was 2WD and I could only do so much with adding weight in the bed to get traction on bad days, and vowed I'd never NOT have 4WD/AWD again - at least while living up here.
Yesterday finally got my new wheels - delay at the port due to the weather, than delay at the dealer's due to huge volume of sales over the New Years weekend, and then the snowstorm. Hope this lasts me as long as my Nissans did - but at lower maintenance cost. Nissans are good, but parts are prohibitively expensive.

#282018 by schmedidiah
Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:49 pm
my dad had a shop that specialized in repairing Volkswagens and eventually all import cars. he always told us go Honda or Toyota but never Nissan. a true "parts and labor nightmare" in his words. sweet ride.
#282020 by Planetguy
Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 pm
nice looking ride, mike. looks like you can get some equipment in there!

congrats and stay safe.
#282024 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:49 pm
Planetguy wrote:nice looking ride, mike. looks like you can get some equipment in there!

congrats and stay safe.

DITTO MIKE.

Minus 6 and we used to walk out a half mile on the bay in Huntington. These temps and everything starts to break. Silly thought, Keep your animal friends safe. This is dangerous weather. Some idiot left their dog out for a few hours and found it frozen.
Be safe.
#282052 by J-HALEY
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:24 am
Wow, I would never make it in that kind of cold. I was miserable last week with temps In the low 20’s.
#282055 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:19 am
:lol: IOWA. Water tower freezes solid. I don't remember where , but DRAW BRIDGES were freezing in an UP position or a down position. I think it was North Dakota that registered a MINUS 58 degree temp. WOOOOW!
Normally if there is NO wind... People would be surprised at how much cold they can tolerate.
Funny Jeff, the only time I need a jacket is when the "SPRING BREEZE" is blowing. :oops: (shameless plug ) :)

You would do fine up here. Even the local polar bear swim was canceled. It was so iced over the chain saws couldn't cut a big enough opening to let a bunch of crazies to go running into the water. :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
#282059 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:45 pm
Planetguy wrote:nice looking ride, mike. looks like you can get some equipment in there!

congrats and stay safe.

My gigging gear setup is not too big with the new band - combo bass amp is the largest thing, plus milk crate with cables/mics/etc, pedal board/case, mic stand case, guitars and bass. 4 loads in/out, 3 if someone's holding the doors.
#282064 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 am
We used to truck around huge bass speakers that were around 250 pounds.They were reverse design thumpers and don't even remember what they were called.Oh yeah, REFLEX SPEAKERS. Speaker tech has come along way. LAUGHING MY ASS OFF. Just thinking about it. We had a truck and small triamp system. 500 watts of high end, 1000 watts of midrange and 2000 watts of bass. We could take down walls with that.Now you just put up a few speaker stands and you blow away the room.

Just laughing and sharing a story. Good luck with your truck Mike!
#282067 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 pm
I don't miss the days of hauling around big heavy gear. It's why I got rid of my Fender amp - the 2-12 cabinet weight 90 lbs and head 45 lbs.
We had a keyboard player who played a Hammond B3 and had one of those authentic Leslie wood cabinets with the twin rotors. The organ weighed about 300 lbs and the Leslie 200 lbs. Keyboard player had a van (good thing), but it sucked moving those things.
#282069 by Planetguy
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:27 pm
me too on the downsizing.

these days for the big volume bass gigs i use my ASHDOWN MI 550 class D amp. 6" x 6" and 550 watts at around 5lbs! i plug that into two EDEN cabs w one 12" spkr in ea that weigh a mere 30lb.

gtr....i use my FENDER Deluxe.

only big thing i cart around these days is an upright... aka ACOUSTIC BASS..and my vibraphone. and the vibes are on wheels.

hell...i've even downsized by playing an "itsy bitsy guitar"! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSDjDv0LBUU
#282074 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 am
Mark, that is some really god music. I thought we were talking about Mike's new car... Don't Matter.

Cool vids, thanks for sharing them,especially squirrel curfew. I understand how much talent it takes to pick up those mallets.

Just a funny side note... Piggy loves the jazz channel up here. We put it on and he just crashes and listens for hours. You would have to see it to believe it... He doesn't like rock... spoiled f'ing piggy...
#282082 by Planetguy
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:43 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:Mark, that is some really god music. I thought we were talking about Mike's new car... Don't Matter.

cold weather ....vehicles....equipment used back in the day....equip used today....video of "itsy bitsy gtrs".....

sheeeeet, sounds like typical conversation to me... conversation goes where it goes!

Cool vids, thanks for sharing them,especially squirrel curfew. I understand how much talent it takes to pick up those mallets.

you're welcome. and thanks for checking them out and the thumbs up! now, when are YOU gonna share some of your stuff??!?!!! I seem to recall you can play quite well, but for the life of me i can't remember the last time you shared anything.

Just a funny side note... Piggy loves the jazz channel up here. We put it on and he just crashes and listens for hours. You would have to see it to believe it... He doesn't like rock... spoiled f'ing piggy...

well, that makes sense. as you know.....they ARE highly intelligent critters. :D

BTW....we knew that gig was gonna be videotaped and were excited about possibly getting some decent video that we might use for demo material to snag gigs. we had the best intentions of dressing all presentable like, but the weather was not gonna have any of it.....99 degrees and humidity off the charts! haberdash be damned.

(see what i did there.....bringing it BACK to "weather"?) :D
#282086 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 pm
Weather! 52F here today, and supposed to be even warmer tomorrow. But heavy rains moving in, followed by more 'seasonal' temperatures in the 20s to freeze everything up solid again.
#282087 by J-HALEY
Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:51 am
Ya’ll can have all that cold ass weather. It is supposed to be 35 in the morning. We have a gig Saturday it is outside under a palapa they have heavy duty clear plastic curtain type walls. It is supposed to be 33 for a low Sunday morning. Thank God the gig is from 7 to 11. This gig is with Daze Of Nite the Classic Rock band. I played last Friday and Saturday with the country band.
#282088 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:35 am
WINTER... I don't snowboard or ski. My business is built on helping people protect against WINTER. These last 17 days of extended cold have pushed people to the max... I know it will pass, and all damage repaired, and egos will heal.

I've been dealing with people I don't KNOW. NON CUSTOMERS. They are killing me. ..." I can't get in touch with my "GUY" or I have a contract with a major company... THE PHONE IS SHUT OFF!!!!
We have actually gone into triage... Older people first. This got really bad.

I have never seen such aggression from people when they realize they are in real danger and their perfect little lives are getting phucked up.

After these last 17 days of stupidity from people that don't understand the danger, they add to it with relentless aggressive driving. I am getting tired...

Sorry if my thoughts go off in many directions. I am a very pragmatic person. I solve problems. But that is also based on the reality of what is true.

We fight, we are nasty... But, all of you guys up here are some of the best people any musician could ever call friend.

Sorry for being nice. It has been a tough 2 weeks... Right now I just want a beach with a warm "SPRING BREEZE" that I can go fly a kite on, and take piggy and wife out for a stroll...

WINTER... :lol: