This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#282390 by MikeTalbot
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:36 pm
In Africa the rural peoples use wood for their fires. I enjoy a good campfire as much as the next man. But I've seen whole areas as far as the eye can see, denuded of trees. It goes pretty fast.

I've been researching oil / pipelines/ refineries and so on for my latest book. It does not look good for places like NY and New England - the infrastructure is ridiculous vulnerable and there is not much of it.

Even Atlanta, which is much closer to the sources of petroleum products; got kicked in the ass twice in the last year or so, when one (ONE!) pipeline had problems. Within a couple days regular gas was not to be found and the others had shortages. I would image that problem propagated itself further north since the same pipeline supplies them as well as us.

Take a stroll through Wiki and you get the idea our infrastructure was created by people with no sense of what 'redundant' means.

Thus I'd suggest saving the wood for those 'just in case' moments.

Talbot
#282395 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:29 am
Interesting Mike. Infrastructure is so poor it is ridiculous. Regulation and more regulation has reached the point of point where little old ladies and babies are freezing because because there are not enough "QUALIFIED"people to move the firewood. (OIL,NAT GAS,PROPANE)
I am amazed when I have to beg for an extra thousand gallons. We just went through an extended cold snap that most were not prepared for. Terminals were running out of oil because there are so many regulations.
This is how your lawmakers are taking care of you. This is my government... When the shiit goes down... I DON'T LIKE IT! Don't even want to go there.

Good man Mike. God help us when they run out of FOOD. :roll:
#282401 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:45 pm
Yeah, if the US depending on wood for heating and cooking - with close to 400 million people, we'd have no trees in a few years.
Last year's Gulf hurricanes and coastal flooding showed how weak the oil infrastructure is. Meanwhile up here in the Northeast no one wants fracking or natural gas pipelines in their backyards.
I can't imagine what things will be like in 50 years in the US, but I won't be around to find out.
#282403 by DainNobody
Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:14 pm
We export a lot of LNG on cargo ships too
#282409 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 pm
How did you get to 400 million?
Did you start counting all those illegal aliens? :roll:

I'm just going to go over 90 year old Mrs Smith and let her know that people just want to let her freeze.
I guess you forgot that obama disbanded NASA. Instead of charging that great think tank with the need for solutions, ...
He mandated NASA as too expensive and helping illegal aliens was more important. I apologize for that extrapolation, but it is obvious. This is not about energy, this about dominance that really doesn't give a ratsass about you.

Different from way you think huh? Mike.
#282433 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm
Ok, I overstated. In 2016 it was 323 million. gonna shoot me for that? :lol:

BTW, Obama didn't "disband" NASA, he proposed a 5-year freeze on their budget in 2011, and subsequently reduced their budget - but it was still close to $18 billion a year.
#282456 by MikeTalbot
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:25 pm
Actually, to the amazement of all and the horror of most, Obama actually demanded that NASA spend their time determining the many accomplishments of Islam in the US.

What they did the second day I have no idea.

And yes I write fiction, but I can't keep up with reality, it's so bizarre...

Talbot
#282457 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:27 am
GuitarMikeB wrote:Ok, I overstated. In 2016 it was 323 million. gonna shoot me for that? :lol:

BTW, Obama didn't "disband" NASA, he proposed a 5-year freeze on their budget in 2011, and subsequently reduced their budget - but it was still close to $18 billion a year.

Of course I would never shoot you :lol: I love you.
Your figures were almost correct if you added in the 7hundred and 77 million illegal aliens in country.

As for NASA it wasn't 18 billion... More like 18 million. My My My... Some of these brilliant people had to go out and get a job.

Shoot you? Why are so leaning to violent outcomes? Just asking...
#282460 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:32 pm
ANGELSSHOTGUN wrote:As for NASA it wasn't 18 billion... More like 18 million.

Nope, BILLION. Fact checks:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_NASA
#282478 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:16 am
OK. If we all want to settle the energy problems of the world... It may take 1.8 TRILLION. So let's up the pot and really do the right thing. It is going to take some brilliant thinking to get the job done.
Forget the simple short term "GREEN" solutions... 100 years from now, if we invest in unfettered research, using the genius of mankind, we will unlock the secrets of the universe.

It may take much more that 1.8 trillion... I would say that is still better than men killing men over drilling rights.

I agree with a lot you are saying Mike but we are just looking at it in a different way.
#282479 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:01 am
Just a side dish Mike.
You basically told me to S.T.F.U..
I haven't forgotten anything. You got a little power and you exercised it.
However you NEVER exercised deadly force.
That does not mean I hate you... That is far from the truth.
I really only want to wish you the best...

Yesterday was really rough for me... I had to deal with a customer... A customer I have known for 15 years....His wife of 65 years passed away a few weeks ago. I'm just the best burner mechanic around. Why? because I try to protect all my customers the best I can... Anyway this 86 year old man is devastated . I can fix your boiler, but I can't change the normal complications of life.

I get it.
Are there any words I could truly say?
Posting on this site has actually become an outlet to vent some of stuff I deal with. Bandmix... Glen deals with all the world problems and provides solutions to all problems...
How is that for BS.
Mike... Everyone else... I love the people that have the intelligence to read between the lines and contribute. OH, AND...
PHUCK! I'm just trying to make an honest living.

I guess I have written to much already. I've been with my wife 35 years I am sure that I would be devastated just the same. What do you say?