This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#277251 by J-HALEY
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:57 am
Last weekend our band played a gig of which I posted some video on the music chat side of this forum.
Two days later on Sunday we had a rehearsal scheduled. The rehearsal went great we sounded so good. When we finished it started raining. I loaded my new Helix and guitar in my truck, the drummer was walking in front of me as we rehearse at his house. As I stepped onto his porch both my feet went out from under me I slipped and fell on my right shoulder. As soon as I stood up I knew something was wrong because my arm wouldn't move it just didn't work. I thought my shoulder was dislocated. I went to an Urgent Care facility and had it x-rayed. The X-ray came back negative. No break and not dislocated. Sunday night I was in the most excruciating pain and could not sleep. I went to my Primary Care Doctor the next day. After some mobility test the doctor told me I have a rotator cuff injury and needed to get an MRI. I did the MRI this morning and my doctor called me tonight to tell me 2 of the 4 tendon/muscles are actually detached from the rotator cuff and one other is badly torn. I have to meet with an orthopedic surgeon to schedule surgery. Bottom line is I won't be able to play guitar for 2 to 3 months and won't be able to work for 4 months. I am so bummed! We had some really cool gigs coming up. In 2015 I went through a divorce and had to start over with a place to live furniture everything so that year was screwed, 2016 the drummer had surgery and we were out for 4 months, now 2017 and this!
Last edited by J-HALEY on Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#277254 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:26 am
oh man, I feel for you. That's why I never go to doctors. Play through the pain. Who needs an arm anyway?

Seriously....so sorry to hear about this, Jeff, but look on the bright side. You still have one arm to lift Shiner Bock frequently.
#277260 by schmedidiah
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 pm
bummer :cry:
#277265 by Vampier
Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:21 pm
Haley ... very sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds rather major and therefore it needs to be fully recovered before you begin again. At times "Life" pushes you in a direction by preventing you going in another. At the moment this happens you feel only pure frustration and also like you are letting the others down. Let the frustration go as it is utterly negative and counterproductive. Regarding letting the others down ... it depends upon the situation. You can stay involved, help get a fill in guitarist and work with them in order to resume the Band playing or focus on another aspect of your music ... writing, producing and arranging . I personally think that regardless you need to keep active in the Band in some way.

Good luck to you .
#277266 by J-HALEY
Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:55 pm
Thanks Ted.

Thanks Vamp those are words of wisdom and I am doing exactly that. I will be out gigs in fact I just cancelled one 5 minutes ago! Very frustrating it is one of the coolest gigs in this area. I did talk to the band and they don't want to replace even temporarily. I am going to play some guitar a couple months after surgery. Until then I intend on diving deeply into the new amp modeler Helix. I will custom build many patchs to exactly duplicate the artist I am covering. When I come back my sound will be impeccable and the envy of other guitar players. That part I am looking forward to. Your advise is useful and I thank you sir!
#277268 by Vampier
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:10 pm
Awesome Haley ... you are welcome ... however it seems with an attitude like yours no advice was necessary. Your Band is fortunate to have you and very loyal ... turn the disadvantage into an advantage and the problem disappears. Most excellent !!!!
#277269 by J-HALEY
Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:18 pm
Vamp, you reminded me what I have always preached "with every negative life event there is always a positive if you look hard enough"!
#277274 by MikeTalbot
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:52 pm
Mr. Haley

I've been on medical leave from one band for over a year and had to quit the other. I'd told them to go ahead and replace me but they won't, which is kind of nice. Things go wrong, always at the wrong time.

When it seems really shitty just remind yourself as I do, "The Lord my God will sustain me, He will be enough for me..."

God bless
Talbot
#277301 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:42 am
Jeff I ripped up EVERY MUSCLE in my knee. After 2 months, it still wasn't getting better. Mind you this was middle winter, I had people counting on me and every step was becoming more painful than the last. I TORE EVERYTHING. Including the tendon that runs down the front of your shin, calf muscle, hamstrings, and quadriceps . I was ready to submit myself to modern medical miracles . It was that serious. I was close to being totally crippled.

Now I'm not going to tell you this is totally perfect, but I was so desperate that my wife cooked me up some bone broth.
Amazing.
All the amino acids in that bone marrow started to heal me the next day... 4 months later I'm almost healed to the point where I may be able to go surfing... I sent this to Vamp... Don't know if he got it. Old world recipe. Must be seasoned to taste. Smile.

Beef Bone Broth Recipe
Total Time: 48 hours
Serves: Varies
INGREDIENTS:
4 pounds organic/grass fed beef bones with marrow
4 organic carrots, chopped
4 organic celery stalks, chopped
2 organic medium onions, peel on, sliced in half lengthwise and quartered
4 organic garlic cloves, peel on and smashed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
5-6 sprigs parsley
¼ cup ACV apple cider vinegar.
18-20 filtered cups cold water
DIRECTIONS:
Place all ingredients in a 10 quart capacity crock-pot.
Add in water.
Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce and simmer gently, skimming the fat that rises to the surface occasionally.
Simmer for 24-48 hours.
Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Discard solids and strain remainder in a bowl through a colander. Let stock cool to room temperature, cover and chill.
Use within a week or freeze up to 3 months.

I think that if I had just submitted myself to medicine... I would still be in trouble.
I watched your videos. They were great . I hope you feel better!
#277352 by Paleopete
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:23 pm
Good luck old man, sorry to hear about this injury. I know how bad it sucks.

My band played a private party Saturday might, my back was bothering me so much I played on a Stoll most of the night. Far from the first time I've done that...

On the bright side though, the Pro Jr amp sounds great in that garage every time, and new additions to the pedal board are working well... Large box Dan Electro Echo and Chorus, both sound great. Also have a small box Dan Electro Tremolo but never use it so far, so it stays in the wire bag.

So my playing was a little off, back pain has that effect, but when I wasn't screwing up it sounded great.
#277353 by Paleopete
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:34 pm
Sorry, I meant to add, wish I was closer to Houston, I'd contact you and see about filling in. I lived on fill in gigs for 3 years in the late 80s. Can't drive 3 hours every time or to practice though...sure wish I could help...
#277372 by MikeTalbot
Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:28 pm
Glen

I just copied that bone broth recipe. The drugs I've had to take have caused severe injuries to my right arm called Avascular Necrosis. They killed some of the bone. The quacks want drill some holes in the bone to get the blood flowing and only requires three bloody months of recuperation! Geeze. I'll try your way, sounds more sensible than getting drilled!

thanks
Talbot
#277373 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:55 pm
Mike, after all the pissing we do at each other, the last thing I want to see is any of us getting hurt.

Really sucks getting hurt. For tendons and muscle repair you need protein. The more the better. If you feel strong enough just get the bones and chew the marrow to pieces. I'm not that tough. :lol:

You really have to work up your own recipe to be palatable... But the alternative to what you are describing is just plain scary.
For your information only... You are a good guy Mike... Give it a chance...
#277386 by DainNobody
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:04 pm
the rotor cuff injury will require surgery, Tony an associate vendor at the swap meet showed me the scars rotor cuff surgery causes.. you will have 4 ea. small 1-1/2" scars orbiting around your rotor cuff equally spaced, one below one above and one to each side..I had a rotor cuff injury a while back but don't think it was as bad as yours, I let it heal by itself, and now my shoulder pops and cracks making noises and some days it gets "bound up" lack for a better term and when it does that it aches like hell until it pops again back into place.. :?