This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#276793 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sun May 21, 2017 10:50 am
Hey Kick.
You are turning into a very interesting person.
Are you truly in your late 50s?
You have no music up... I'll overlook that. This time. I usually don't take anyone here seriously if they don't share a bit of their soul.
To get to the crux of your interesting observation...
Even when I don't have enough to share... Especially when I do have enough to share... I look at it in the strangest way... It is never really my money. It is God's money. The dumbest point I am trying to make, is it is just proof of the greatest gift, I feel God has given me... Not money...
FREEDOM OF CHOICE.
#277144 by oliev
Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:47 pm
I think we need a useful definition of "greed" b/c otherwise we might confuse it with envy. There is one in the comments but I can't sign onto it.

"Greed" can't mean "the desire for more stuff". If we didn't all pretty much have that desire, there'd be no point in worrying about upward mobility. It has to mean something like "the attempt to get stuff you're not entitled to". So you could want stuff, and work very hard, and invest wisely, and end up very wealthy, but totally without greed.

But then one might want to encompass situations like a business owner who is raking it in, who pays his employees minimum wage and lets them be on Medicaid b/c he doesn't provide benefits (actually found real cases when doing some research with paperwritings). He could pay them more, and offer benefits, and never see a change in his lifestyle, but the priority is everything for himself, needed or not, and the less he can pay the people making his money for him, the better. In a decent economy, the market fixes this, but not when people are desperate for work.

And then "envy" ought to mean resenting that somebody else has stuff the envious person doesn't have. You could look at somebody else's quality of life, and wish you had a similar quality of life, and be inspired to figure out what you need to do to get it. That's not envy.

And yes, they are close cousins.