This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#276273 by DainNobody
Wed May 03, 2017 5:43 pm
but it does not always get there! LMAO :D :lol:
#276282 by GuitarMikeB
Wed May 03, 2017 8:45 pm
Each or for the whole band?
The guys I just joined up with get about $250/gig (split 3 ways, obviously). This is actually better than many places around here hiring acoustic music (whether its solo, duo or band).
#276330 by DainNobody
Thu May 04, 2017 10:10 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Each or for the whole band?
The guys I just joined up with get about $250/gig (split 3 ways, obviously). This is actually better than many places around here hiring acoustic music (whether its solo, duo or band).

each Mike, I won't play for less than $200.00 a night..UNLESS busking.. then that is a day time gig, no drunks or drinkers to deal with, no lumping back breaking PA gear etc. the more than occasional biz opportunity as a bonus like when a woman wanted to pay me for guitar lessons for her son at her home in Willard, etc. ( I declined cause I don't do driving to clients places), and if you don't bring a lot of merch to watch, to keep from getting ripped off from thieves while playing, you can sell some stuff generally at a profit.. not to mention meeting other musicians
#276342 by GuitarMikeB
Fri May 05, 2017 12:50 pm
Dayne -$200 each? So a 5 piece band $1000 minimum? Don't move to New England, you'll starve before taking a gig!
#276348 by Planetguy
Fri May 05, 2017 2:39 pm
and don't move to MO...oh, wait.

or.... just have very low expectations about how often you're gonna find bars and restaurants who are gonna pay that much when there's a long list of other bands willing to go in there for a lot less.

corp gigs, private functions, weddings, etc are another story....but bars in MO shelling out that kinda scratch? i don't think so.

and any perspective band dangling a promise of that kind of bread playing the bar scene i'd be highly suspicious of. my BS meter would be dinging. loudly.
#276349 by DainNobody
Fri May 05, 2017 2:43 pm
thank-you, I like it when everybody can say what's on their minds without insults.. very good.. :)
#276358 by GuitarMikeB
Fri May 05, 2017 8:47 pm
Yep, around these parts only the corporate gigs and wedding bands are making that kind of money - for local bands. And the gigs don't come that often, either, as there's plenty of competition. Once every month or two for the newer bands trying to break into the circuit. And most likely, you have to have an agent or service that takes 10% of the money too.

For solo (mostly acoustic) artists, they can make $200-300, including tips, at some of the better venues. But most gigs are restaurant-type places where they are background music and seldom getting tips. Usual pay is about $50 per hour - whether its a solo player or a duo.
Note that the above are all cover songs (you can sneak an occasional original in) and people want to hear 'popular' tunes - rock, country, mainstream pop/whatever.

The next step up is the 'local band/artist opening for touring band' in the smaller venues - 200-500 seats. These can pay $500-$1000 (depending on the band). This is the 'original' music phase. There's also a slew of 'coffeehouse' venues around (not coffee shops!) with seating from 50-200 that pay $500 to $2000, but these are mostly 'folk' singers. Opening acts at these places can get anywhere from $100 to $300. All original music of course, and usually solo artists.