This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#272176 by Badstrat
Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:12 am
A friend of mine brought over a nice laptop with win 7 Pro on it. Being ignorant of the "Don't do thats" of laptops I wanted to partition the drive to protect my files. Partition master went 3/4 through the process of transferring files and stalled. Yup. I cut a swath through the Win7 OS. I originally intended to get a small Hdd and use that to install Ubuntu and keep the win pro system in tact, but not to be. Windows tried a recovery but failed, so I put my Ubuntu DVD in the drive and rebooted.

I love it far better than Win 7, and as far as the Internet, it is almost a virus free OS. Very few hackers would write a virus or spy ware for Ubuntu, as there aren't enough people using it to make it worth their time. I believe it is 16.04 but without looking I can't be sure, however it is the latest version download.

After it loaded it asked me if I wanted the new 16.04.5 as I was using 14.04.5. I hit yes and 2 gigs of packets flew into my computer. After several hours of messing with it I like it better than Win7. AND IT IS ALL FREE OF CHARGE. Need updates? Need add ons? When windows charges for almost everything, Ubuntu does it all automatically and most for free. There is a store that sells specific software, but it is very inexpensive and once you buy it updates are free so it doesn't rapidly go obsolete like the closet full of Windows software that I can't ever use.

Man I love this old laptop now. It is the perfect tool for the job. An i3 2.5 Ghz , with just a few Gigs of memory and it makes a great surfer. When I was using my windows i5 laptop I could depend on crap getting in almost every other day... but not with this. And the Ad blocker plus knocked out all the pop-ups.

I bought a wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse pad for $19 @ Walmart, hooked a HDMI cable to my TV and presto.. an Internet surfing movie watching virus & malware free (almost immune) big screen TV for cheap. I'm loving it.

This is not an advertisement, it is a testimony from a happy camper. :) Man this machine is fun to mess with.
#272178 by DainNobody
Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:38 am
my 5 gHz of data for $50.00 is used up within 17 or 18 days if I watch many youtube videos ..watching movies at netflix or wherever you are getting them and it would be over in a day or two.. one of the drawbacks of living in a remote, rural, region..
#272184 by Badstrat
Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:25 am
I have an i3 and a couple of i5 towers with Sonar X1 and X2 in them. They are pretty fast machines. The best recording setup for me was a Pentium D 3.4 and 3.3 CPUs. The D's never share IRQ's with either the video or the sound. Now it doesn't matter much due to the increased system speed.

I have a friend that recorded a song using 23 or so tracks on a Pentium 330mhz machine. No dropouts, clicks or pops but it took over 5 minutes to load the wav pictures in the tracks. He could record a whole track before the "scope" view of the track showed up. Naturally he was playing back most of them but only recording two at a time. Audio is so less demanding than video.

I hate the feel of a laptop key. I make more mistakes on this because my long picking nails over hang and I end up hitting two keys at a time. If I forget to look up I'll find that I hit the caps lock and end up typing a sentence or two before I notice. I probably should use that wireless instead of this sucky keyboard.

I have a problem playing DVD movies because my system can't find a file it needs on th Internet. No biggy as this is for Internet and not a DVD player... but no reason to wear out a funky laptop DVD player when I have two Blue Ray's hooked to the same system TV

Dane, I only have 7 meg service and they throttle it down to 5 megs. But on the brighter side I can watch movies @ 3 megs without buffering. When I over use they choke it down to 2.8 and it still works just fine.

Sucky key, but I do love the OS. :) Damn I like this OS. About 10 years ago I tried Linux OS but I couldn't load the packets because my phone line was too slow. Later on I tried again, but this version and the ability of the machine to actually fetch packets is great. Oops. Time to go watch robots dirty dancing.
#272268 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:31 am
Slacker

I had to learn AIX Unix and several Linux distributions on a consulting job a few years ago. It starts to make sense but for me it was sort of like learning Dos all over again. And it makes me edgy that it seems to upgrade itself anytime it senses electricity!

That said I still have a Ubuntu Distro on one of my machines.

Cheers
Talbot