This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#239193 by Badstrat
Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:02 am
Goody Goody. Now the Internet will be safer, more organized and more efficient and we will have far more freedom! I for one am really excited about this move!!!! :) :)

Feb. 4, 2015 2:11pm Jon Street .... (From TheBlaze,com)

Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler confirmed Wednesday what many industry experts had already widely speculated: that he will recommend the strongest rules for the Internet that the agency has ever proposed.

The proposal to reclassify the Internet under Title II of the Communications Act of 1934 would allow the FCC to regulate the Internet it as a public utility like phone service, barring Internet service providers from prioritizing Internet speed for some sites over others, among other controls.
Activists chant as they gather outside the headquarters of the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) on December 11, 2014 in Washington, DC. The group gathered to rally for net neutrality prior to the FCC's monthly meeting. AFP PHOTO/BRENDAN SMIALOWSKI

Activists chant as they gather outside the headquarters of the Federal Communication Commission, Dec. 11, 2014 in Washington. (AFP/Brendan Smialowski)

“Using this authority, I am submitting to my colleagues the strongest open Internet protections ever proposed by the FCC,” Wheeler wrote in an op-ed published by WIRED. “These enforceable, bright-line rules will ban paid prioritization, and the blocking and throttling of lawful content and services.

“I propose to fully apply—for the first time ever—those bright-line rules to mobile broadband. My proposal assures the rights of Internet users to go where they want, when they want, and the rights of innovators to introduce new products without asking anyone’s permission,” Wheeler said.

The FCC calls “blocking” any attempt by Internet service providers to prevent consumer access to legal content while the “no throttling” rule would prohibit providers from affecting the flow of lawful Internet traffic. The “paid prioritization” rule would make it unlawful for service providers to show favoritism to legal content or traffic.

The concept of net neutrality is strongly opposed by those who say the government should not interfere with private enterprise. Wheeler said the commission has previously trusted commercial Internet providers to manage their own networks based on their perceived interest of the good of their business, but said those actions may not always be optimal for network users.

“I became concerned that this relatively new concept might, down the road, be interpreted to mean what is reasonable for commercial interests, not consumers,” he wrote.

The five commissioners of the FCC will vote on whether to approve Wheeler’s proposal on Feb. 26.

UPDATE: Title II of the Communications Act of 1934 is the rule by which the FCC regulates “public utilities,” such as phone service. It is also the rule under which the FCC claims it has the authority to impose net neutrality rules. However, as one FCC senior official claimed to TheBlaze Wednesday, the specific Title II rules that classify a “public utility,” such as rate approvals, are not among the rules the FCC is using to regulate the Internet.
#239194 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29 am
Good post Badstrat. Only this goes much further into the realm where CONGRESS no longer makes the laws.
The average person is SO STUPID.
Once again a federal agency is in control and bypassing all the basic rules of the CONSTITUTION, and the only possible control is the purse strings of Congress.

SINCE WHEN DID WE ALLOW THIS FOURTH ARM OF GOVERNMENT TO BE CREATED?????

Sorry for getting a bit heated.... NYC just made it ILEGAL FOR MERCHANTS TO ACCEPT MANUFACTURERS COUPONS IN SUFFOLK COUNTY... WHAT???? We are not NYC, we were all ready raped once with the illegal, overturned MTA tax.

This is pure POLITICS. The kind that was signed in 2013 that basically under executive order gave HOMELAND SECURITY the RIGHT to violate ALL of YOURS, under the rule of LAW.... THE CONSTITUTION of THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA. That was 13603.... Go look it up if you care...
#239215 by MikeTalbot
Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:57 pm
Glen

I often wonder if people are as stupid as we think. I hear these constant admonitions for people to 'wake up' yet that seems to translate into 'and think like me.'

There is no 'silent majority' if there ever was. We were kidding ourselves.

I reckon folks have made up their minds. Given the state of our country, and indeed, the world; that is a pretty scare thought.

Back to the question 'are people stupid?' And yes many are- far too many and we are importing as many dummies as we can as fast as zero can do it. There is nothing more dangerous than an idiot who has made up their mind. That is what I fear we are facing.

Talbot
#239220 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:49 pm
Good post Talbot. When we have crazies running around this world, willing to burn a human being to death in a cage... This world is starting to sound like it was a thousand years ago.

Progressive politics, I think not.

As hard as I try I can NOT over come stupidity. I must be a bad teacher. Shame on me.
#239223 by schmedidiah
Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:09 am
Great news! Obama hath come down from the mountain to tell us that people committed atrocities in the name of Christ. We're all saved! :roll:
#239255 by Paleopete
Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:37 am
On the surface it may sound good.

Stop the meanies that are slowing people's internet down ( that they are paying less than premium price for) and blocking content...(seems the only time I find any legal content blocked is when I'm not online at all.)

But think about it. Really.

Since when have you seen the government get their hands on anything that turned out for the better, for the long forgotten "We the People"???

Health care? Social security? Education? Income tax? Welfare? Food Stamps? VA? USDA? FDA?

Everything the government has ever taken over has gone to hell in a handbasket. Let any government agency start regulating anything and before long it will cost you twice as much to get 1/3 as much if you're lucky. This will also stifle any tendency for investing in new technologies.

Government regulations always mean the companies involved have to cough up money to comply with those regulations. That means the price to the consumer goes up and the incentive to create more jobs or salary increases also goes down. Smaller companies will fold. As you can already see in the coal industry.

If our government had a good track record for doing anything at all that is in the better interest of "we the people", I might be able to see a positive side to this. As it stands right now, I see it as hurting the consumer in the end.
#239256 by MikeTalbot
Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:03 am
It's only - make believe!

The big corps and government are one. President Pavlov1 rings his bell and we all start drooling. Next year, President Pavlov2 rings his bell - and the folks who didn't agree with Pavlov1 start drooling.

Net result. No change - both sets of droolers get hosed, lots of drool on the floor. Mike has less money, and somehow there is always a new Hitler showing up that our various Pavlovs assure must be taken down before he destroys our freedom. Which doesn't exist anyway.

It's confusing but I'm trained to see patterns and this one's hard to miss.

Talbot
#239257 by Vampier
Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:37 am
Excellent Thread and Posts. Step One ... The "thing" laughingly called "government" gets involved.

Step Two..By telling Lies the Corporate and Political Filth along with their "Lobbyists" make proposals, guarentees, proclamations and decrees... all assuring they have TOTAL CONTROL and have Fooled the Masses yet once again.

Step Three ... Chinese Hackers, Martian Hackers and Moslem Hackers ... Worms, viruses, human errors ... whatever are suddenly rampant infecting and plaguing the innocent and free government controlled Internet.

Step Four .. The Black Messiah is forced to issue yet more "Executive Orders" to solve the problems because Congress will not work with him and more money will also be needed ... alot more money from the masses for the government... for their protection from the unspeakable but ever present danger of Te --0r.

Step Five ...The Kill Switch and Police State will have to be used to preserve Freedom and safety and censorship, high priced usage, zero tolerance on any citizen deemed to be a you know what ... hacker, terrorist, whistleblower or leaker. Prison, assassination and disppearence along with the odd high profile trial.

Step Six ...In a very short time public and independent commercial use of the internet will disappear all together and bee replaced by Government "News", announcements, propaganda and "Hate Sessions".

Step Seven ... the internet will become a part of the government spy grid only much more actively than it is currently and tied into methods of "Smart" control. Of all this will cost the masses huge amounts of money ... but that will not matter because they have a long history of paying huge amounts to their Masters in order to f--- themselves and their families and their children and the planet and their very Spiritual existences.
#239258 by Badstrat
Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:12 am
Amen brother Vamp. Quite prophetic.

But then has the government ever exceeded our low expectations? Nope. Their track record is impeccable.............. always has been. :)
#239262 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:51 am
Amen Vamp. First and foremost is censorship in any form. Something Mike Birch will never understand.

I will never visit the national "TEA PARTY" site. They have their own form of censorship. DISGUSTING!

Fox news has their own form of censorship. Disgusting!

Media in general have their own form of censorship. Disgusting!

Now our government needs to install a new method of censorship. Disgusting!

There is a reason why the first amendment was so important... Even more important than the second amendment. It was to allow all free men to express their opinions. More important than the right to protect ourselves.

Did any one go back and read executive order 13603? It clearly defines our governments right to take away everything you ever were... or ever will be.

Vamp is pointing out that truth.
#239263 by schmedidiah
Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:27 pm
If they can still get half the population to keep parroting that Obama Care is a positive reform, with no harmful effects on anyone..... :roll:

This will happen. Obama will send as much crap as he can to the Supreme Overlord, er, I mean Supreme Court.
Net neutrality is an inevitability. :(