This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#238633 by Badstrat
Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:31 pm
Have you noticed the onslaught of incredibly moronic juvenile sounding Public Service Announcements that are bombarding the TV networks as of late? They are almost as prevalent as the “Lets Sue Their Asses ” commercials.

Shouldn’t these announcements begin with a “Big Muther Says” ?

It’s cold out.
Bundle up.
Be sure to wear warm clothes
Wear several layers of clothes
Wear a hat so you don’t catch cold
Make sure to wear your gloves
Be sure to wear your overshoes
Don’t exert yourself while shoveling the walk
If someone says something bad tell your mommy
If someone points with only one finger tell the teacher they have a gun.
Don’t eat this
Don’t eat that
Don’t text while driving
Be sure to get your flu shot
It’s hot out
Put on your sunscreen
Be sure to drink lots of water
Don’t stay outside in the heat too long
Stay out of the direct sunlight
Don't sun bathe you'll get Cancer
Do use tanning booths
Don't play in the deep water
Don't drive your car through flooded streets
Tell your mother where you are going and for how long

Don’t do this, Don’t do that……… and on and on and on and on and on about every little thing. Doesn’t all of that sound just like your mother???

So I ask you this. Media, don’t you believe in evolution? Don’t you believe in Darwin's survival of the fittest? Then STOP SCREWING WITH THE GENE POOL!!!!!… Shouldn’t people without common sense be weeded out for the betterment of society? Why are you selectively preserving the stupid for breeding? Stop messing with nature Big Muther, we ain’t down with that!

And another thing. Why not put giant mirrors in the mall for mall rats to view themselves entering and leaving? Shouldn’t ugly couples see what they look like together? Shouldn’t there be a warning above the mirrors telling them to try and imagine what their children would look like?

Nuff said. :)
#238636 by schmedidiah
Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:17 pm
Too funny! The only one I would disagree with you on. Texting while driving. It sucks. I'm a trucker. I see people doing it all the time. If they can drive into a pole or a ditch in the middle of nowhere, fine. But don't let them hurt innocent bystanders. That's all
:D
#238638 by DainNobody
Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:08 pm
geez Slacker, you left out "don't let your water pipes freeze" "let your faucet drip".. between you and me, if I see that "advice" shown just one more time on the noon news, the 5 o'clock news, the 6 o'clock news the morning news just one more time I'm gonna lose it.. too many years I have been on earth I guess..and too many times hearing the same ole same ole, every year..
#238640 by MikeTalbot
Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:12 pm
Get over it guys.

I've read that the average American IQ (not necessarily citizens but people superimposed territorially) is just around 70. Some of them can make change.

They get all their news from TV.

Do you want their pipes to burst? 8)

Talbot
#238643 by schmedidiah
Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:46 am
You do if you're a plumber! :lol:
#238644 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:04 pm
I have to agree with Schmed. Texting and driving is very dangerous. As a progressive liberal that I am, I propose a ten thousand dollar a year tax on every any cell phone that is capable of texting. Also since auto deaths are such a major cause of death in society I would propose a 1 million dollar a year tax on every registered vehicle. What could be the harm... Lives saved, consumption of carbon fuels slowed, global warming stopped, BP out of business, and the money could be used to let people know they shouldn't go swimming if they don't know how.

Definitely a win win. :lol:
#238649 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:43 pm
Like MikeT says, - average tv viewer is close to moron-level IQ and needs to be told what to do, or have devices that assist them - look at all the crap required on new cars for people too stupid to drive - lane drift sensors, tire pressure readers, automatic emergency braking, etc etc.

Don't watch TV if you can avoid it. mute the commercials, or flip the channel during them if you have to watch something.
#238651 by schmedidiah
Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:48 pm
I'm not in favor of any new laws against texting, or Facebooking, or you name it. They're already on the books. Distracted Driving. Boom!
I read that the current emissions/ smogcheck scheme could be scrapped and you could clean up more air pollution by targeting freeway exits with sensors to find the most egregious violators.
You could do the same thing with a distracted drivers task force. Truckers are targeted by a Commercial Enforcement Division. I don't see why the public at large couldn't be subject to the same scrutiny.
If you're looking at a 3" screen in your lap, hitting the like button, while moving hundreds of feet per second, you are a danger to yourself and others. The not-so-fine print on your driver's license exam will tell you that you could lose your driving privileges for crap like that.
My proposal; one cop in a bobtail with a bird's eye view into the cockpits of these social media mavens. This unit will videotape the action and dispatch the motorcycle units.
Two to five motorcycle units being dispatched to stop and cite the violators.
Start with the same fines and points against your license as a speeding violation.
Right now we need solutions like this in every department of government. We don't need president yomama using the EPA or the Dept of the Interior to punish productive, tax paying citizens for living their lives.
We don't need more laws, or lawyers or bureaucracy. We just need people who can implement solutions, the way a new generation of military leaders had to figure out that fighting terrorists on their own turf was not the same thing as kicking the German Army out of France and Italy.
#238654 by Badstrat
Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:41 pm
“If you or anyone you know has eaten “Butter Crunch Donuts” and have “suffered” excessive gas, ingrown toenails, warts, uncontrolled rage or death you may be in for a SUBSTANTIAL AWARD!!! Call NOW!!! Dial “1-800-HOT–SCAM”

I hate those ambulance chaser advertisements. When they first started airing you would see a group of sleazy lawyers standing together gawking at the camera. Then it went to the “I’m not a lawyer but I’m a “spokes person”. So were the lawyers afraid someone would recognize them? Does it really matter who speaks on the ad?

Now it’s skanky blond women that sound like they’re nagging you. I was married so I don’t need that.

I’ll grab the remote, kill the sound and go spank my guitar while I’m waiting for the nagging to stop. But then I get involved with the music and I forget I was watching a TV show…..because the sound was off. TV’s a wasteland anyway. I generally leave it on for the noise since my dog isn’t much for conversation.

PSA’s do not do anything but irritate people. I doubt that they have much if any effect on the brain dead who will text and driver.

Cell phones could be blocked when the phone is moving over 5mph. The towers could do that easily. They simply do not want to do that.
#238657 by schmedidiah
Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:43 pm
"Spank the guitar"!
I always assumed the guitarist was the bad part of the equation. Is that where you got your handle? The guitar was bad? :lol:
There's a Clear Channel sports station I listen to that will play about six PSAs in a row. Stuff that no adult sports fan, driving a beer truck at 10:00 am could possibly care about. I think they just dump them all on this station so they can play more crap music on fm, while still satisfying the FCC. :roll:
#238658 by DainNobody
Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:26 pm
schmedidiah wrote:You do if you're a plumber! :lol:

when I lived in Ft. Walton Beach from1980 thru 1986 I lived in a trailer (from Febr. 1984 to June 1986) I bought from Mr. Petro, and rented the lot off of Paul Petro in his trailer park..I think lot rent was $115.00 a month, not the best 12 X60 trailer in the world but kept the elements at bay.. anyhow, winter of '85 ? we had a frigid cold blast kinda what like hit yesterday with a record low of 17 deg. in Mobile, Al. and my water pipes froze even with skirting on the trailer.. and although they are easily fixed with what the plumbers call a "union" I was unable to crawl under the trailer and fix them myself because I was needed at work and called a plumber to repair them.. he actually chewed me out for letting it happen although he got plumber's wages for the service call..
so I disagree, plumbers hate repairing busted water lines that could have been avoided by letting the faucet drip.. just kiddin, maybe they enjoy crawling around in 17 deg. weather with a 40 mph. wind blowing..LOL
#238662 by Badstrat
Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:29 pm
"Is that where you got your handle? The guitar was bad?"

Somewhat. There is a song called "Tele Spanking" on my SoundClick site but I played it using a Telecaster instead of a Strat. The song is actually "Long Tall Texan" but it used a lot of slapping strings so it sounds like I was spanking it. :) When I played it at jams I referred to it as spanking my Strat. It just seemed like the thing to do at the time. I thought it had a nice ring to it. New board, new screen name.
#238667 by schmedidiah
Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:05 am
Dayne and Badstrat :lol: I had someone accuse me of leaving the water on at a vacant house I was working at. It was really the home inspector. I work outside. I didn't turn on the water into the house. Duh!
Anyway, it froze for five nights. Even got to about 19. Pipes burst. House flooded. Turn off the water, ya hoser! :P
#238671 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:57 am
In NY, Home inspectors are NOT liable for any mistakes. Unreal!
#238673 by schmedidiah
Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:56 pm
Putting this where I thought I was posting it. All of that hard work. Can't let it go to waste! :mrgreen:

Warning!
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TUNE YOUR GUITAR WITH A MODULATION EFFECT ON. Turn all modulation effects off, when attempting to tune your guitar. This includes, but is not limited to; Flangers, Phasers, Auto Wah, (some) Reverb Units, Univibe, Tremolo, Pitch Shifter, Whammy Pedal and Rotary Speaker Simulators. Failure to do so could cause you to tune your guitar to sound like "ASS", or the undesirable "My Dog Has Anthrax, Siphilis and Ringworm" tuning! :shock: