This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#166845 by Shapeshifter
Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:56 pm
I agree with you KLUGMO. I think the key words here are "patience" and "tolerance". We have quite a variety of people here: Socially conscious, spiritual, Addiction-indulgent (You know who you are... :lol: ).
It takes all kinds. Trust me, I spent a lot of time on other forums, and they were just...boring. I look forward to coming here daily and seeing who is attacking whom (and trying to stay out of it... :lol: ).

Hopefully, Vampier will put up some tunes soon and put an end to the debate. He did say he was working on resolving that issue.

#166847 by Tennessee Jedi
Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:02 pm
KLUGMO wrote:Not that he is on or even near the same level but in an odd way he reminds of
the kind of artist that is very mental, on a level even other artists cant
understand. Like a Salvador Dali or Van Gogh or Pollard type of mind that cant
relate to common man on most levels. These minds are rare and fascinating
to those who observe them.
Many times they are found to be nut bags who really cant function in
social situations and isolate themselves kinda like this guy has.
This guy talks as if he exists in another era. I think its cool and look forward to his and
our remarks. So far he has produced nothing but words.[/b]

He helped build the Millennium Falcon and was in Star Wars ....
Not that the approval of anyone on bandmix means a whole a lot.

:lol: :lol:
#166848 by Vampier
Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:14 pm
Joseph ... I have some knowledge of Lady GaGa but not of Justin Bieber ... so forgive me as my own knowledge of what is around me is lacking. There is argument to what you have stated in "shutting off access". Most of those I have known that do get a remote mountain cabin to write in actually do no writing or painting or drawing or composing. I have known far too many musicians whose parents, girlfriend's or wives support them so they can create but nothing gets done more times than not. I believe that struggle, pain and living life and gaining experiences (the Journey) is vastly more beneficial than soe holiday time. I do understand that this is not exactly what you refer to and support the concept of isolation and recognize that your point of view is well taken and does have relevance as well as mine. Perhaps my view is spawned from the sense of oneness advocated by many philosophies and spiritual beliefs as well as my own experiences and inspirations ... even the misguided ones. A domesticated hooligan or a hooliganized domestic ? I think I like the domesticated hooligan although my wife may possibly disagree. I have just sent an email to "Purple" the bass player so in my Ludite fashion I am working towards things. My subconcious tells me to not mimic but to "feed" Ta.

#166849 by Shapeshifter
Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:44 pm
I don't think it's so much an issue of isolation (although I realize my post certainly leaned that way)...it's more of an issue of being selective in ones choice of muses and influences. Art that comes from "the Journey" is legitimate and pure. On the other hand, art that is derived from outside influences (i.e., the life around the artist, as you put it) tends to be, well, derivative. The bottom line is that there is a difference artistically speaking between creating something from your soul and translating the events around you into something that you identify with. It's a fine line sometimes.

If I write a song about how I feel about the U.S. government, then I am putting my personal feelings a bit of myself, into my art.
However, If I wrote a song about the current Rush Limbaugh debacle, of which the only knowledge I have is what I've read on here, then I am really only mimicking. I have nothing internally to add.

#166855 by PaperDog
Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:43 pm
Arrrrrrgh! It's "LUDDITE"... Not Ludite... And yes, in keeping with the true spirit, I found this out ...without using Spell-Check :shock: :lol: 8)

#166866 by Shapeshifter
Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:51 pm
Sorry, PD. I knew that, too, but when Vampier wrote it that way I just went with it...I'm such a sheep. There I go, giving in to outside influences... :lol:

#166873 by Starfish Scott
Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:45 am
excuse me, what does Luddite mean? lol
#166878 by Vampier
Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:51 am
Oh these modern terms. I have never seen it properly spelled until now so I was merely going with it phonetically. I do miss my "nerdy" friends in Northern CA....Satellite Greg, The Toad and Eric. It seems that many "Talk Show" hosts are being "clamped" down on now with the new gestapo of the media. I also have heard something about Rush" but know not the details. Michael Savage has body guards and now broadcasts from six different locations apparently. When I write anything that has anything to do with politics or government I really opt out and write more about the nature of mankind. I detest politics. Of course my feelings in this respect do nothing to create even a ripple in the cesspool. I must go feed the rabbits now. Yhe fig trees are sprouting as of two days ago and it seems the weather is starting now to warm here. Thank You

#166880 by Starfish Scott
Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:55 am
Way to avoid the question !!!

Thanks, I looked it up.

It's just an overly complicated way to say "against technological change".

-1 for being a verbose pile of excrement.
-1 for being inflexible.

Now show me some music or it gets the hose.

(put the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose) lol

#166887 by Shapeshifter
Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:02 am
Sh!t.

Scott's taking off the love beads.

I got "luddite" from Philbymon...

What does "verbose" mean? Lol.

#166906 by MikeTalbot
Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 am
I once wrote a song I liked so much I had a few drinks and called my boss. Suggested he throw away all his rock and roll rocords.

"Why?" he asked

"Because I've wrapped that up. What needed to be done has been done."

There was a time when it was fun being me.

Talbot
#166923 by Vampier
Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 am
I only just now say your post...so to answer your question without a dictionary...where I was living in Northern CA. luddite was commonly used and taken to mean...one who is unfamiliar with any of the modern electronics and digital devices....one who could not even beam another up. You really must learn some patience and enjoy the trip ... we you spoiled as a young child ? When you lose your temper you are at the mercy of others and therefore can become easily manipulated. At least put your shields up before you engage your warped drive. I will do my best to keep you updated and hopefully you will not explode before it happens. I used to think klingon's were those bits of lint that stuck to your jumpers when they were washed. Have a drink o Buchanan's and hang on a bit longer. Thank You

#166939 by KLUGMO
Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:54 pm
Spelling, this is a subject I get reminded of here often.
I fully admit I suck at it but it does identify me with its quirkyness. I
enjoy when different people complain about it like JD & SCOTTY.
I like to add country sayins to my posts here. My back ground is very
varied. I have eaten dinner with Colin Powell and also slept under
a bridge abutment in the middle of Kansas.[/b]
#166971 by Vampier
Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:24 pm
Very well stated and utterly thought provoking. I always think when I am in an elevator about those there with me and what their lives are and what kind of people they are. I started striking up conversations one day just to see and I am almost always impressed with their knowledge, experiences and beliefs...sometimes in a negative manner but mostly it is impressive and positive and somehow I find it reassuring and it gives me more faith in mankind. You never know who is around you and what they know and have seen. At times it is tragic but even then the person has such strength and such an outlook that I am always moved. It is the joy and magic of life. Sorry I must have had some sort of "attack" but I do feel thus. Thank You
#167002 by PaperDog
Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:33 am
Vampier wrote:Very well stated and utterly thought provoking. I always think when I am in an elevator about those there with me and what their lives are and what kind of people they are. I started striking up conversations one day just to see and I am almost always impressed with their knowledge, experiences and beliefs...sometimes in a negative manner but mostly it is impressive and positive and somehow I find it reassuring and it gives me more faith in mankind. You never know who is around you and what they know and have seen. At times it is tragic but even then the person has such strength and such an outlook that I am always moved. It is the joy and magic of life. Sorry I must have had some sort of "attack" but I do feel thus. Thank You

When I am in an elevator with others.. All I can think about is how I hope they don't catch on... that it was me...