This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#287988 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:19 am
Gentlemen

Want some politics? It won't be as pretty as you think. Left / right, who cares? Nobody wins in total war. Gun control, insanity? And how about a little love? No name calling? It's doable.

I thought I was writing about an imaginary zombie war. Nope. I'm writing about post nuclear life styles, the failure of libertarianism (my own political belief system) in total war, the harsh realities of men and women fighting side by side in the forces, insanity and ptsd, and perhaps most importantly, (non graphic) romance.

I assume most folks don't' require a biology text book.

Mostly though, I'm working through some of my own war time issues and watching my characters show me what to write.

Decent people can win. But to do it, they must hold onto their decency if they can.

Note - you can send me an email at the address below and I'll send you a free ebook copy in .docx or .pdf. It's all about folks trying to survive. Without hatred. (sorry I'm too poor to send out paperbacks)

[email protected]

Or on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Generals-Daughte ... s+Daughter

I believe we can live together.

cheers
Talbot
Last edited by MikeTalbot on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#287992 by GuitarMikeB
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:09 pm
MikeTalbot wrote:NB - I duplicated some of the text. No idea how to edit. Sorry.

MT

When you look at your thread, there's a little 'gear' with an arrow next to it in the upper right corner of the post, click it for a drop down, one of the options is 'Edit post'.

Good luck with the new book. Might I suggest that your description in Amazon be changed - what you've got is a list of many characters, too many. A plot synopsis 9without giving away the ending) and excerpt are usually the best way to stir interest.
Last edited by GuitarMikeB on Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#287995 by Planetguy
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:41 pm
say whaaaaaaaat?????

...no graphic sex? how are we to get an acuurate picture w/o graphs? are you using "pie charts" then?

very generous offer of you MT to offer up the E-book version. i'd like to take you up on that and check it out.

look for my email coming your way. 8)
#288020 by MikeTalbot
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 pm
GMike

I like using an ensemble cast. They are all interlinked and between them the story comes out and my ideas about ad hoc families come into play. My stuff is not about some silly survivors stabbing Zs in the head (as if one can pierce a skull that way) while searching for a can of beans and emoting...It's a war story about an entire state under arms, and how it affects the different characters.

You may find the gun control aspect interesting. I'm not sure what to do about that when the war ends and everyone is armed to the teeth and half insane. A real quandary for a libertarian like me.

I won't pretend I always liked James Mitchener's books but I liked the way he constructed them and learned from it. My characters tell the story.

Drop me an email and check it out. If you still don't like it - write a bad review! 8)

My problem is always how much detail to include, which is why I've been using a glossary; war stories can get boring easily with all the tech stuff.

I tried a Dramatis Personae to introduce my characters but didn't like it. This new book is (among other things) an attempt to show readers the characters and conflicts without that. I apprenticed years ago with a screen writer and learned just how important dialogue is in pushing the story forward.

I was tutoring a Nigerian kid who wanted to be a writer but when he found out just what a pain in the neck it is...we'll I'm sure he'll be fine as a school teacher or tradesman. 8)

thanks for tip on editing. Maybe next I'll learn how to post a graphic! It's embarrassing frankly. I taught myself eleven computer languages and took a PMP in project management but I'm still dumb as a post!

cheers
Talbot