This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281571 by Planetguy
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:18 pm
funny, the two bands i gig with most frequently don't regularly prct. (boy, is THAT an understatement!)

and the one band i gig the least with (Mere Mortals) gets together weekly to "practice". at prct we work on new material, tidy up stuff that needs to be tightened up, and we share a cold one or two, shoot the $hit, and enjoy a few good laughs and each other's company.

happy to say there are NO jerks who i'm burdened to work with in any of my current 4 bands.

i've said it before...working with talented musicians who are ALSO good folks....that's win, win right there.
#281574 by Vampier
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:41 pm
This Thread and responses raised a question for me... is MaDonna a Jerk or is it just a "male term" ?
#281578 by Planetguy
Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 pm
yrs ago i played a pickup gig at George's on Dixon St. in Fayetteville AR. Jazz gig...4 pc. Drums. Piano. Tenor sax and myself on bass.

it was the sax guy's gig. i'll call him Andre (because that was his name and all). we played your basic standards and a cpl of originals that andre charted out. weekend night...so the place is packed, and it's a good audience with most listening and paying attention.

we played a few uptempo tunes to start.....then Andre calls the Thelonious Monk classic ballad "Round About Midnight". For those unfamiliar with the tune...it's usually played w a piano intro that goes for a cpl of minutes to set things up before the band enters.

the tune is announced, and to a quiet and attentive room the piano player (very good musician) gets into it.....and plays a lovely intro.... dramatic pause before the band is about the come in...and then BOOM! Andre says loud enough for everyone in the room to hear "I couldn't hear ANY tempo there! PLAY IT AGAIN!" :oops:

oh, man. and the piano player did. wow....i don't think i would have been quite as professional were that me. actually i know for a fact, especially back then...that i wouldn't have.

pretty sure that move qualified Andre for full on jerk status.
#281597 by schmedidiah
Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:49 pm
ooh Andre. bad form! :roll:
#281605 by Vampier
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 pm
Ta ... that explains a much. I worked on a film called "Reds" and she was having it off with Warren Beaty who was both directing and acting in the Film. He is without a doubt the biggest arsehole I have ever seen. She must have picked up a few pointers from him.