This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281145 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:54 am
I thought Elephants were protected. Wrong.

I understand harvesting deer to provide food and also stop overpopulation. That is why deer can actually suffer a crueler death of starvation. I believe in controlled hunting, to stop that,... and they taste good.
Elephants...
I don't know all the facts. I am just bringing it up in the hopes some one else has some good perspective on this.

I have a pet pig, yet I totally sanction hunting wild boars. I think pork chops and bacon are great!

Elephants... I don't know enough to say it is ok to hunt them. I thought it was against international law. Suddenly there seems to be a question about allowing trophy killings into our country.

My feelings are against it. I love animals and elephants are sorta up there as special.
#281146 by DainNobody
Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:07 pm
may I play the devil's advocate here Glen, I am against killing them too, but the young Trump claims the money raised by the sale of the permits required to kill elephants actually helps protect them cause the money goes to elephant range improvements etc. allows more hiring of game officers to watch for poachers, allows better range for elephant feed, disease control, etc. I am against killing elephants they no doubt are not good eating..anybody for an elephant chop? I thought so.. :)
#281148 by Badstrat
Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:31 pm
Elephant Emotions - Grieving

http://www.elephantsforever.co.za/eleph ... eving.html

Elephants evoke a sense of fascination in human beings and have done so for centuries. Research and observation has yielded many intriguing facts about these animals. Perhaps the most enticing quality of the elephant is its undeniable similarity to us, manifested by the close bonds they form with family members, their communication, life span, the care of their young and their emotions. Elephants experience many of the same emotions as people do, ones that are usually restricted to being that of humans, seldom seen in animals. Elephants are capable of sadness, joy, love, jealousy, fury, grief, compassion and distress.

The elephant's capacity for sadness and grief is truly unique amongst members of the animal world, as it is particularly complex in terms of emotions. While most animals do not hesitate to leave the weak and young behind to die, elephants are distressed by the situation, and continue to show signs of this grieving for extended periods of time.

Because elephants live in such close-knit herds and live for about as long as humans do (approximately 70 years), they form strong bonds with those around them. When these ones die, the rest of the herd mourns that death.

Mothers and aunts are also prone to mourning a still-born calf. The mother of a dead calf (whether at birth or later on in its life) shows her grief through her physical disposition. Her eyes are sunken and her ears drooping, her mood is visibly miserable.

Wild elephants sometimes stand silently at the bodies of dead companions and, later, stroke their sun-bleached bones as if embracing a memory.

There are other ways to finance those things, Dane. Killing an animal for food is one thing, killing an animal to mount their head on the wall is quite another. I don't understand what honor there is in killing a defenseless animal with a high powered rifle while hiding from it in the brush.

"young Trump claims the money raised by the sale of the permits required to kill elephants actually helps protect them "
I wonder if his stand on mass murderers is that they help prevent global warming by cutting down on carbon emissions?
#281150 by Vampier
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:25 pm
Great Thread ... the more one finds out about Elephants then the more the realization comes that indeed Elephants are superior to Humans ... certainly the ones enlightened today. there are many sad and tragic stories about them. They are in some ways like whales, there is much more to them than what meets the eye and they are huge to regard. I have always liked animals much more than humans ... even to eat. ( that was a joke for the slower ones who might read this. I am not even going there with regard to Republicans.
#281171 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:36 am
Dayne I understand what you are saying and that is the principle behind game management. Game management includes allowing the culling of animals such as deer, in an effort to prevent a truly miserable death from starvation, overpopulation, and death from destroying your brand new car.

Vamp has posted some great points. Whales and Elephants are magnificent creatures. Nothing I love more than going to Stellwagen bank marine preserve to watch the thousands of Humpback whales summering over. There are better ways to protect them. Vamp is right.

What we truly have to be careful of...
The assholes all over the planet Earth issuing hunting permits against the 7.6 trillion humans.
Just what is the limit?
#281184 by Vampier
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:14 pm
We may be on the verge of finding out Glen.
#281195 by Cajundaddy
Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:57 am
We just got back from 15 days in South Africa, Swaziland and Zimbabwe. 5 game drives and 2 river cruises. The last river cruise was on the Zambezi river at sunset. While we were there a herd of 8 elephants came down to take an afternoon swim. We watched as these gentle giants waded in, rubbed, caressed, and frolicked with each other for 30 minutes and then quietly walked out and back into the savanna. It was one of the most amazing expressions of true joy I have ever seen.

Clearly elephants are not overgrazing the savanna and are in no way overpopulated there as deer and pronghorn are thick as rabbits out in the western US. I gotta say no to elephant hunting at this point. They are rare and extraordinary animals.
#281202 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:53 am
Excellent expression in writing that adventure Cajundaddy. Thanks for sharing that. Total agreement.
Now to inject a moment of humor.
I was blessed to watch two humpbacks. One was a big old male. HE WAS TAKING A NAP. He had a young female following him and nudging him and saying get up you old fart...
After about twenty minutes of her being persistent, he rolled over. Next thing I saw was these two breaching and, I would say playing. As Miranda Lambert put it... He was running with the Fastest Girl in Town. :)
#281226 by Vampier
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:01 pm
Cajun Daddy ... I am in total agreement with Glen ... my compliments ... very well expressed and powerful. Ta.
#281233 by ANGELSSHOTGUN
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:42 pm
Anyone spent the time to go back and watch his cool vids?
I like his music and he is one coooool musician.

But who am I? I like whales, and elephants. WTFDIK. Smile.
#281238 by MikeTalbot
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 pm
I was at a fancy restaurant once where they offered customers $500.00 if you could order something that wasn't served there. There were no menus, you simply ordered.

I figured what the heck, so I ordered "Elephant Ear on a Hard roll." The waiter came out shortly thereafter with my check.

"Ha! I didn't think you'd have Elephant Ear!"

The somewhat snooty waiter replied, "We have plenty of Elephant Ear sir, we are out of hard rolls!"

Talbot
#281242 by Vampier
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:33 am
George ... he must have been thinking of the National Debt. Talbot, I was thinking about you ... howe are you doing ?
#281265 by MikeTalbot
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:07 pm
Doing pretty well. Still on med leave from the band but putting together some literary production. Released the third in my Red Dirt Zombie series this summer. It's actually a series of books where I put my own libertarian beliefs and my experience in Africa together to see where that road must lead.

Also have stories in three new anthologies benefiting veterans.
Here is my Amazon page:
https://www.amazon.com/Michael-Peirce/e ... p_ebooks_1

And a recent interview:
https://aftershockzombieseries.com/2017 ... nterviews/

I'm getting close to the finish line with "African Days Hollywood Nights," my epic non fiction about war and music! :)

Happy Thanksgiving!
Talbot
#281270 by Badstrat
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:37 am
"I'm getting close to the finish line with "African Days Hollywood Nights," my epic non fiction about war and music!"

You wrote a book about Bandmix ???