This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

General discussion for non music topics. BE RESPECTFUL OR YOUR POSTS WILL BE DELETED.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#241296 by DainNobody
Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:29 pm
Stigma associated with the SNAP program has led to several common misconceptions about how the program works and who receives the benefits. For instance, many Americans believe that the majority of SNAP benefits go towards people who could be working. In fact, more than half of SNAP recipients are children or the elderly. For the remaining working-age individuals, many of them are currently employed. At least forty percent of all SNAP beneficiaries live in a household with earnings. In fact, the majority of SNAP households do not receive cash welfare benefits (around 10% receive cash welfare), with increasing numbers of SNAP beneficiaries obtaining their primary source of income from employment.
#241303 by J-HALEY
Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:08 pm
Dayne, if you don't believe a large number of these folks sell their food stamp benefits for cash to friends and family I have a bridge I would like to sell you. I personally know of several recipients that sell theirs for .50 on the dollar. It disgust me especially that these folks have children that suffer already and would suffer worse should I report them.
Additionally, the food stamp programs are funded from the farm bill.
#241305 by Badstrat
Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:20 pm
I live in a three state area. Mexicans come in to my friends store and try to cash welfare checks from all three states that they have filed under while using different identities. Food stamp fraud is sky high as is the fraud in every other regime program is on par with SNAP, WIC, and other give away programs The regime wants it that way, therefore they do little about it.
#241391 by DainNobody
Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:44 pm
6 SNAP (FOOD STAMP) MYTHS
The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (or SNAP, the new name for food stamps), is one of the best lines of defense against hunger in the United States. The federally funded program helps working families, seniors and many others in need put food on their tables. But stereotypes about SNAP and who uses it persist.

Let's set the record straight:

Myth #1: People who get SNAP don’t work.

FACT: The overwhelming majority of SNAP recipients who can work do so. According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, "Among SNAP households with at least one working-age, non-disabled adult, more than half work while receiving SNAP—and more than 80 percent work in the year prior to or the year after receiving SNAP. The rates are even higher for families with children—more than 60 percent work while receiving SNAP, and almost 90 percent work in the prior or subsequent year."

What's more, many SNAP participants aren't physically able to work. About 20 percent of SNAP participants are elderly or have a disability, according to the USDA.

Myth #2: SNAP is a drain on taxpayers.

FACT: Every $1 in SNAP benefits generates $1.73 in economic activity, according to Moody's economist Mark Zandi. SNAP not only helps low-income people buy groceries, it frees up cash for other expenses, such as medical care, clothing, home repairs and childcare. That benefits local businesses and their employees, which boosts the economy as a whole.

Myth #3: SNAP is rife with fraud and abuse.

FACT: “SNAP has one of the most rigorous quality control systems of any public benefit program,” according to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities. SNAP fraud has actually been cut by three-quarters over the past 15 years, and the program’s error rate is at an all-time low of less than 3 percent. The introduction of EBT (Electronic Benefit Transfer) cards has dramatically reduced consumer fraud. According to the USDA, the small amount of fraud that continues is usually on the part of retailers, not consumers.

Myth #4: SNAP benefits go to undocumented immigrants.

FACT: Undocumented immigrants have never been eligible for SNAP. Documented immigrants can only get food stamps if they've lived in the U.S. for at least five years (with exceptions for refugees, asylees and children). In fact, immigrants are far less likely to apply for food stamps because they worry about jeopardizing their immigration status and because the application process is especially daunting for non-English speakers.

Important: SNAP is a nutrition program run by the USDA and is not considered a welfare program. Receiving SNAP benefits will not affect a documented immigrant’s immigration status or any effort to gain U.S. citizenship.

Myth #5: Hunger isn't a problem in my community.

FACT: More than 658,000 people in the five-county region get SNAP, a 56 percent increase since the start of the recession. See the most recent figures on SNAP participation in Pennsylvania.

Myth #6: SNAP leads to unhealthy eating habits and obesity.

FACT: National studies show no significant link, positive or negative, between food stamps and healthy eating. Nor do they demonstrate a relationship between food stamps and weight gain.
#241673 by Planetguy
Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:56 pm
TheFarleys wrote:Right on Dayne and Bob. The righties who try to blame "liberals" and illegal immigrants for high welfare and food stamp usage are only fooling themselves. In fact most recipients of assistance are poor, white and live in the south.

jimmy, you forgot to mention "it's a fact" that all receiving assitance drive around in Escalades!

and i know "it's a fact" cos' i read it on http://www.conservativehatespeak.com :roll: