This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#50204 by philbymon
Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:09 pm
In answer to the original question - NOT NEARLY ENOUGH!

#52670 by Bill Harris
Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:27 pm
Back in 92 My band got $700 for opening for helix (and a room and two cases of beer).(1 - 45 minute set)
Nowadays , the cheap little hole in the wall bars pay an average of 350 a night for three sets.
You can get 500 a night but only after you proven that the many people at your show arent a fluke.(If you pack a club up good three times , demand the five hundred).

Do the math (cuz thats all bar owners do)

If the people "you bring" (dont count thier regulars) to that club drink on average $20 worth of booze:

25 people spend $500
50 people spend $1000
100 people spend $2000

But the bar doesnt get to keep all the money from beer sales because they have to pay for the beer. The markup on a bottle is roughly 100 percent depending on the club. So......

For the club to break even with where they'd be without your band there , the club would have to sell $1000 worth of alchohol to cover your fee of $500.

To my mind , if a club owner breaks even , he or she is still ahead of the game because , the overall turnout was bigger , and they remain known as a club that provides entertainment.

now if you're pretty sure that the average patron of your shows drinks about $50 worth of alchohol , just do the same math.

Usually clubs have cold feet about any band , but like I said about three packed houses and you're writing your own ticket with the club owner - up to $500 - $700.

But if you live in a backwoods place and play at a little backwoods club thats barely staying afloat , play for the duece and have fun , or move.
#93104 by HowlinJ
Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:05 pm
Wizened Old Men wrote:Hi All

We've never had problems getting gigs, but our experience is that the pay in bars is the pits. We are located in Southern Ontario and are resisting playing in Toronto (don't want to do the 3-night Thursday, Friday, Saturday gigs that many bars in Toronto want for family reasons). Our highest paying gigs are usually in bars with cover charges. Private functions and festivals also tend to pay better.

What is your experience and what short of cash do you get?

Hello Canadian brothers and sisters,

I thought I'd "bump" this great 'ol topic to see what the current rates are. :wink:

Howlin'

#93209 by Prevost82
Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:49 pm
The tour I'm on right now is between 1500 to 2500 per night depending on # of seats in the venue.

We had a smokin' show last night at SunPeaks. The place was packed and jumpin' all night .. the bar set a new record on sales ... :D

#93817 by Katonthekeyboard
Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:39 pm
I've seen the pay range from $100 to $300 per person.
Here are the variables.
Your pay will depend on all of the following.

1. Are you a single, duo, trio, or band? ( more musicians, less pay usually ) unless you are a well known act with a large following.
2. Is the establishment affordable or upscale?
3. Do you have the look the booking person wants for the type of venue?
4. Do you have the experience they want?
5. Do you have a song list that includes what they want?
6. Do you have a track record from other venues?
7. Is your website up to date, does it include an audio or video demo?
8. Do you use good looking equipment or shabby stuff?
9. How many customers can they seat in the venue?

Unfortunately everything counts, every bar has their own requirements, looks play into it and how you promote yourself is important.
Its a business and the bar has to see your act as a way to make money.

#102345 by bassforhire
Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:21 pm
bump

#105504 by Procrast
Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 am
I think it all depends on where you play and what you play. We've been gigging around Northern Manitoba and Saskatchewan as a three piece and most places we're getting anywhere from 1500 to 18 or 1900 for a back three. We're doing mostly classic rock with some Stevie Ray, a wee bit of country, and throwing in a few originals. The nice part about it is 95% of the bars have house P.A. now so all you need is your personal gear and most owners don't even charge for it. It seems the farther south we go the tighter the budget.

#142102 by Everloud
Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:48 pm
It's ironic that bars don't pay any more considering the quality of the average bar band around here is a joke. I used to work at a pub and all the bands they had played really lousy covers and that's all they could do. Most of them couldn't carry a tune in a pail, it's no wonder they don't get paid, cause they are terrible. I think it depends on the type of bar as well, if it's an actual club you can get something at least, in know in Guelph you can regular a place like the Vinyl and get some exposure and money if you play a gig with cover fee and find a couple of other bands to play a night.

#149890 by MattRadford
Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:40 pm
I personally find playing pubs and bars in small towns more rewarding. The owners are more willing to pay, as decent musicians are harder to come by, and the crowds are more receptive. I played one gig at a bar in Toronto, the Bar owner payed me 50 bucks for 3 hours, luckily I pleased the crowed so when I "passed the hat" so to speak the tips made up for it. But it can be hit and miss. I personally am gonna stick to private functions/festivals and small town gigs. :D
#150062 by Brad1954
Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:19 am
It's tough to make any money in bars period. I am just getting back into the music scene after a 20 or so year lay off. I have always jammed with my friends over the years and have done parties and events.

Bars 20 years ago (union) would pay 1/2 scale under the table and we would have to accept it or just not work. Agents were in on it. I suspect the union knew too.
Union members would checked after a gig to see if you were a member in good standing. If you wern't you paid on the spot or your equipment was trashed and your hands were broke. I suspect these gangsters are still around but not as prevelent. You still are not going to get scale in Toronto unless you are the cream of the crop with some backing. You don't even need talent any more. sh*t musicians rule these days but the pendulum will swing back to where things should be some day when people realize just how crappy most music is today. Play whatever pleases you. People will like what they like. You can't change that. :shock: :!:

#150085 by Starfish Scott
Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:10 pm
PASS THE HAT?

Wow, never even occurred to me.

I'd be afraid of what would show up in the hat.

(That's how I got my lucky condom j/k) lol

#150099 by PaperDog
Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:36 pm
BL0TT0911 wrote:I agree with Captain Scott. ironic, how Captain Scott has music on his page.....your not even serious enough to get a ghetto blaster and record urself? at least hes not gonna be one of those guys whos in 10 bands at once, and each gig he plays is gonna sound like a jam night. If you wanna make it, u need HEART and DESIRE to make it. I know that much at least.
the bar scene is sh*t, now that canned music is the norm.
or when they can pay some wannabe DJ 10% of the door to do his mixmeister crap.
If u wann make cash, find a good band to be in, then make a CD, pump it out everwhere, internet is a good place to start. (after copywriting it of course) and either try for a record deal, where they will get you gigs, or, get a manager and have to pay him, like 20% to get u gigs at festavals, like one guy said, or do everything, INdipendant, which you will need alot of cash up front, Remember, u need money to make money.
You cant just call up bars anymore and ask em for 300 bux for a weekend show :(

we need to find a better way people, money isnt everything....

Many years ago, I was there in Victoria, and had a most interesting week.
Down by the parliament grounds, the hookers DO NOT ever like to have their pictures taken... This was evident by the beating they gave my rental van... I remember there were also many small pubs equipped with a Black-Jack table or other settings for gambling. I seem to recall only one major night club/or Rock n Roll bar. The local act was 'ok' . nothing to write home about , but nevertheless having a good time. That week...in that bar, I could not get a single lady to dance with me... Now, I'm no slouch on the floor... and back then, I was not too hard on the eye of most ladies... It Must have had something to do with me being an American, or maybe the word got out that I was taking pictures...