This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#44063 by 1 Richard
Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:46 pm
I'd expect that response from a young'n.
You'll learn as you grow older. :lol:

#44083 by Andragon
Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:18 pm
+1 Richard wrote:I'd expect that response from a young'n.
You'll learn as you grow older. :lol:

Doesn't really matter what you expect. It's what I saw and lived :D

#44148 by RhythmMan
Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:23 pm
The practice of undercutting helps to lower the overall value of music.
It exposes the general public to a lot of less-talented or experienced musicians.
The general public gets used to hearing music performed with much less finess, and gets accustomed to it.
And sadly, the public even comes to expect that standard of playing as the norm.
I will never, ever pay to hear someone who is 'almost' average.
If the bars and clubs replaced mediocre musicians w/phenominal musicians, then after 4 -5 weeks they will get a great reputation as "The" place to go to hear great musicians. And the place will ALWAYS be packed. I've seen it.
If the other 19 clubs in the region have mediocre musicians, and one place has terrific talent, where would you go to listen to music?
Last edited by RhythmMan on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#46812 by ricklaw123
Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:44 pm
We all know that the bar scene is not what it used to be. But, it can be viewed in a multitude of ways. Playing live for an audience is the ultimate goal of most musicians. To be properly compensated for the preparations leading up to that goal is fair and correct. Alot of the issues brought out here boil down to self-image. You know in yourself what you are worth as a musician. Those who value their own time and effort will seek out situations which are in line with their expectations. The audience is there to be entertained. What they find entertaining will vary greatly. Great musicians will nurture their audience as well as the product that is being presented. It's all about growth and reputation is part of that. I know that I have spent a great deal of time and money getting to the point that I am at now. I fully expect that I will reap the rewards of the effort. Am I looking to be a "star"? No, but I haven't put the effort in for that either.

I have greatly enjoyed the input to this thread and hope to be able to catch some of you out there doing what we all love...playing music in whatever form that may be.

Peace

#49755 by RiverCityJunction
Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:13 pm
Hey guys, we moved to Ontario 2 & 1/2 years ago from Montreal & have since been getting more & more gigs that pay better & better as time goes on. I think the key is to try to present yourself as professional, play your best & build a good rapport with both the club owners & their patrons. If you do, you will most certainly be invited back to play again & will develop a following. If you can help the club owners make money, they will cut you in on their action. The more you make for them, the bigger your share of the pie. How do you do this? By playing for the PEOPLE. And by playing from the heart with feel & passion. Also, when you get off stage, go party with them! I see so many bands that keep to themselves, leave to the band room, or leave the bar altogether. We get off stage & go hang out with everyone. We have drinks with them, sit at their table & often times end up making some new friends in the process. We're all there to share in the good times. These are the people who make us or break us. They are the ones who will be buying our CD's/T-shirts & eventually tickets to our shows when we're no longer are able to play bars cuz they aren't big enough to hold all the people who want to come out & see us play. People we meet & talk to every weekend at our gigs. People that we took the time out to get to know because they're important to us. And not just as "fans" but as fellow human beings. Brothers & sisters. (I use the terms we & us collectively, as in ALL of US - not just my band) I hear some people say that they make music for themselves, but for me, if there's no one around to hear it, no one around to be touched & moved by it, then it has no purpose. When it comes from that place of purity, people can't help but be taken by it. That's when the magic happens. When it's no longer "the band" playing for "the audience" but rather a feeling of everyone being part of the one bigger thing - The MUSIC. I believe that if you're in line with the true Spirit of Music, then good things will always come your way. True musicians don't go to school & "learn" how to play, their born into it. knowing from almost their very first cognition that they want to play. It's a calling not a profession. If you want to be all about money, go study criminal law & become a defense attorney or get into big business or politics. I'm certainly not saying that we shouldn't be able to make lots of money, just that when the focus is shifted away from what's important, which in this case is the music, then the music will begin to fade. And eventually it will be replaced by something else. Think of it this way: A man who lives for his family & always puts their needs before his own, will in all but the most extreme circumstances live a very satisfied, happy & fulfilling life. Full of Love, Joy & abundance. A man who lives for himself & neglects to see to the needs his family will eventually end up alone because his family will fall apart. Stay focussed on the Music!
Peace - J.

#49788 by Andragon
Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:06 pm
Give the man a jug'a beer.. or maybe un poutine :P
Did the same thing you did almost 2 years ago. It's slowly coming together.

#49853 by gbheil
Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:40 am
Ok Ya,ll
I have to play satins advocate here for one moment.
I just have to ask this question. Dont knee jerk, think and give an honest opinion.
Here she goes!
Does anyone really go to a bar to listen to music?
If so, would they still go if there was no alcohol?
I read a post not to long ago stating that the local scene fell apart just because the patrons could no longer smoke. ( some real music fans there eh )
Were they there to listen to music?
I feel people go to concert halls and auditoriums to listen to live music.
I always went to bars for other reasons.

#49862 by Andragon
Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:38 am
Not like that, but if someone tells me we're playing in that bar and we'd like to see you there and I'm free, then definitely. If I know that a good band is playing in some bar, I'm going. Doesn't matter where it is.. bar, venue, basement, cave... okay, maybe not the last one.

#50001 by Robin1
Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:15 am
I am like Sentient, I am usually the only one paying attention to the music. I am also one of the first ones to dance. I hear music and I can't keep still. There have been lots of times that I am not drinking and just enjoying the music. We usually go out with this other couple and my hubby says I should pay more attention to them but I can't help myself. I love the music. I kinda look at it this way.....they keep him occupied while I enjoy myself ROFL Not that I don't enjoy him. I just know he is not as much into the music as I am.

#50006 by gbheil
Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:50 am
I feel the three responses so far pretty much make my point for me.
Yes, I would expect that as musicians, the music would be a primary draw. But I would suspect that major percentage of bar patrons are not musicians. Or even know an A# from a beer fart.

So again I must ask.
If the majority of the people in the bar are not there for the music.
What is truly affecting the rate of pay for those who play these venues?
Surely not the quality of the music? Am I wrong?

#50024 by RhythmMan
Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:16 am
Hey, Sans - an A#?
What's that? Is that anything like a B Flat?
:)
Whats affecting the rate of pay?
Half - experienced bands willing to play 'for exposure.'

#50122 by gbheil
Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:44 am
Only if your playing decending notes. :wink:

It's not that I play bars. But that what affects the rate of compensation in one venue must also somewhat affect said rate in all venues.
Or so it would seem.