This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#153698 by mostlykeys
Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:36 am
Finding the hard part is getting that first show at the bar... once you're in it's a whole lot easier... (as long as you don't get complacent with your show)... we do just fine at our regular gigs, but it's still rough trying to get into new places, even with fairly steady gigs behind us...

we are local guys and don't want to go touring, so it's a little harder to get the bookings...

we keep our day jobs for the bills... and play for fun... but we still have to play what people want to hear, keep a dance floor going, and put on an energetic show... or we'll get zero work... (especially since we're limited on how far we can travel)

...in answer to the original post... we get $300 from bars and $500 for the private stuff as a three piece...

brother's band gets much more, but he is on the road and not playing southern ontario, where there's a ton of competition that will play for nothing....

#155850 by Bad Lemmingz
Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:19 am
We were getting about $100 per person... They don't pay you to play music, they pay you to load the van, take the stuff to the bar unload and set up; Then later tear down load again and take the stuff home and set it up in your basement again.... you are playing for free.
We got our first gig by playing at a friends place and the neighbour knew somebody who needed somebody... the word of mouth is most valuable....
We broke into our first bar gig by wheeling and dealing. We were an unknown band with a pretty good "look" we said we'd play the first gig at a reduced rate but they would have us back at a higher rate later... a gamble but it worked.

We are in the Barrie Ontario area.

- Mal

#167276 by Emilyangel
Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:56 am
Small to support the upstairs ~ ~

#171069 by HarryD
Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:14 pm
30 years ago we were getting $300 per night for a 3 pc country band that played in low class bars in front of junkies and drunks out in Vancouver. All our pop was free and drinks from patrons came fairly constant.
If anything .... pay for bands has regressed because everyone is playing for free just for the sake of getting a gig.

www.ontariomusician.com

#172248 by 1 Richard
Sat May 05, 2012 10:06 pm
HArryD is correct in his statments.
Years ago I used to play for a weekend , Friday and Sat night $125.00 PLUS per man per night.
Due to musicians undercutting each other to get the gig most bars now pay $100 per man for the weekend. I've seen this time and agian. We should all be ashamed of ourselves. Most of you will never be a super stars. So why kill another band Etc by chopping your price. Is a pretty shamfull thing and is going on all the time now.
The bar owners just laugh at you now because they know they can, no matter how good your band is get a jam band for less. Thier pay ---all the beer they can drink. Go figure.. I'd like to take some $$$$ home. Time money and gear invested with no real return. Don't get me wrong here it is not all about the money but it sure helps.

We have ourselves to blame.. Just to getting the gig so called misicians stab each other in the back and take less $$ if any home in the end..

Enjoy the life

#181362 by dusty37088
Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:38 am
Of course, most of the discussion is about playing in larger centres. I live in a small town (Castlegar) way out of the mainstream. This used to be a jumpin' little place for playing about 20 years ago (I lived here 20 years ago but had to leave to make a better living - I thought). Back then there were at least 6 venues ranging from single nights to 6 nighters. Now there's 1 venue and it only books touring "stars" (nostalgia acts mostly). I've noticed a change here and in Alberta. Bar owners (especially up north) used to be fans of good music. Now it's just the bottom line. The BC govt hasn't helped by lowering the legal limit for alcohol - you can lose your license and/or car if you get pulled over after 1 beer. Anyway, bars are definitely not worth the effort if you want/need to make any kind of living these days. I'm semi-retired now after a 50 year career, mainly because there's just no gigs around here and I'm getting too damn old for the road. (sorry to rant like this)

Dusty

Re:

#280610 by serraberry
Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:51 am
loudbob1955 wrote:
TheDeepEnd1 wrote:Very interesting forum. I've just reactivated myself in the business over the last 6 years and conditions sure have changed.
I can appreciate the views by the likes of Captain Scot and Prevost82.

Stricking a balanced perspective appears to be the way to approach this supported with some major canvasing/marketing for live music.
I think that everyone on this forum can agree that we will all have different ways of looking at the business and that there are all types out there with which we will have to content with. The fact remains that we are musician/performers and due to our creative nature we will be a bit on the flacky side. Getting organised for some of us is a tall order.

Much can be said for being a good showman as well as standing up for the material that you decide to perform. The most enjoyable performances that I remember are the ones that comprised a reasonable amount of showmanship which was usually overshadowed by a awesome performance.

Some of us will lean more towards showmanship than artist and vice versa. Different strokes for different folks!

The biggest change that I can see is that bars or clubs have fallen into the hands of short term investment types who are looking for a qick return on their investment and you have people managing these places who are looking to satisfy those investors more than satisfy the client. Canned music, get 'em in and get 'em out.
Drinks are too expensive. People are drinking at home before going out.
It appears as though the bar/club venue is not seeing the live performers as an investment component right now.
We are better to culture the festival venues. People will eventually return to live music.

I love doing Festivals. The crowds really enjoy themselves and seem to enjoy the Music more,too.

8)

LB

Marketing is a thing that everyone will need for there business their products and for their entertainment video and music, it will help you to make awareness to your brand name that why best seo agency in canada will help in marketing in every expects.