This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#236129 by jessica42923
Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:26 am
So I live in an area of Ontario made up of mainly small town so no big cities are easily accessible. I want to find people with musical talent similar to mine but can't :/ any advice? I'd move but not even sure where to go or anything.
#236131 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:12 am
Punt! ;-)

You'd probably be surprised how many great players are hiding in the small towns. It will take some work and a little luck for the right situation to happen, but it's not impossible where you are.

This, coming from a person who gave up on trying to form a full-time band 12 years ago. My advice for anyone who can play an instrument and sing is to prepare to go it alone as a soloist and also try to put a band together at the same time. That way, you won't be held hostage by circumstances beyond your control....and sometimes you can have fun interacting with other musicians who don't control your future.
#236139 by GuitarMikeB
Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:11 pm
Good advice form Ted - practice your solo skills, even if its not what you want to do long-term. Looks for any places where others play - open mics in the area, music schools. Put signs up in music stores - maybe one of them woudl even consider letting you host a jam in one of their rooms.
If you don't have your passport, get one, looks like you're only a half hour from the greater Detroit area, lots of players there. You're an hour or so away from Hamilton, so it might mean long commutes to practice, but would also give you an idea if moving away from your small town would get you on the path you want.