This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#29442 by philbymon
Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:08 pm
If there's no music posted, I don't bother even reading about them.

'Nuff sed!

#29469 by Starfish Scott
Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:58 pm
I'd go even further, as in "if you have no music posted on this site, forget about them." I mean, how hard is it to upload a little sample on band mix?

#30520 by vocalist--band needed
Fri May 02, 2008 2:06 pm
so>>> could i just transfer something from my cell phone onto this site< even if the song w the other singer on it is in the background? that would give other musicians enough to go on to contact me?

#30552 by philbymon
Fri May 02, 2008 7:34 pm
Dunno about that. Perhaps you should just get some of those (GASP!!) karaoke CD's, & sing along with them, or do some a cappella to show how good you really are.

#34275 by 4strings4ever
Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:53 am
I would love to post an audio bit on here but I am not as computer savy as most. The main reason I signed up on this site is to hook-up with other Calgary like-minded musicians and jam with them and see how things work out. Kinda like the "old school" way of doing things.

#34371 by 1 Richard
Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:49 am
I've had sound clips posted from almost day one of signing on here.
I really do not think they should be a requirement.
I'm an old school guy. I really like to feel people out on a personal level.
If you aren't what I consider good enough for a given project you don't get a second call.
Sound clips can be just as missleading as the big talkers & fakers. Why just look at this thread I'm sure you can spot the big talkers and fakers, can't you?.
Believe me not all the sound clips you hear are from or by the person you may be considering.
The only real way to get to their knowlege base is to interview / Jam with em. It gets very evident very quikely what they do or don't know, can play or not.

Just some ramblings from an old man
that still rocks.

#34407 by Andragon
Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:51 pm
+1 Richard wrote:I really do not think they should be a requirement.
I'm an old school guy. I really like to feel people out on a personal level.

4strings4ever wrote:The main reason I signed up on this site is to hook-up with other Calgary like-minded musicians and jam with them and see how things work out. Kinda like the "old school" way of doing things.

I'm saying this to both of you. How do I know that what you claim to be able to do in your profile, is actually what you're capable of if you don't have audio?
Anyone can come online and say "Hey, I've been playing 72 instruments for 10 years now. I threw 200000 + gigs. Wanna jam?"
If you don't have mp3 files available to you, at least link us to another site that DOES have audio of you playing your instrument.

When I first joined, I was already having trouble getting my files transferred and that whole issue. As soon as I resolved that problem, I uploaded a few files. The more, the merrier, as long as it keeps the same quality.

#35203 by loudlovecanada
Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:19 am
Just created an account to start a drummer search. I kind of laughed that the busiest thread on the Canadian board is a debate about putting up audio files on your profile. Even funnier is that I initially wasn't going to add audio to the profile and was just thinking of directing people to MySpace for audio - a little of the work smarter not harder principal. Anyway, audio samples are up to make it easy for those who care to have a listen if interested in the drum gig.

My 2 cents on the audio file debate, if you've got them and feel they represent you, put them up. If for no other reason than like a picture, the music is worth a thousand words. If you are here to source out people to make <b>your</b> music a reality then do your best to describe it, get together with those people and play.

#35716 by sunneydaze
Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:48 am
I *just* joined the site and wasn't sure about the audio files...is that free? Based on your posts I'd say, yes, but I wanted to make sure. Also, I have been singing since I was a kid, playing guitar for a few years and writing songs just as long. I also have the misfortune of no way of recording save a shitty computer-recorded demo that I'd tried uploading to places like myspace before, however the files are so damn quiet that you can't hear anything. Buying a recorder is kind of expensive when you're a university student trying not to get in debt. $50 is like a week's worth of groceries and given the choice between the two, I'd rather eat. That's why I kind of got a bit defensive when reading about the lack of demos...it's not always just a lack of ability (I'd be glad to play over the phone or in person).

I also have a question about becoming a 'serious' musician. I've never played a paying gig and I thought that this site was all about starting bands, so, how do you meet up with other musicians and transform into a 'serious musician' if no one is willing to give you a try based solely on your limited experience? How do you start out?

#35718 by Andragon
Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:26 am
I guess you meet with others just like you. That's what the site is for. Craig's list isn't as active in Ontario, but Kijiji.com is pretty good.
Now if you ARE really serious. I suggest guitar centres (music centres in general), music shops, etc. Oh you said you're in Uni, right? Well, I'm pretty sure if you "pass by" the so called classical music campus, you'd find some stoners jamming stuff on the guitar haha
Talk to people. Let your friends know that you're looking for musicians. Friends talk all the time. And you might just get a recommendation from your best friend or something. I'm sure there are other ways, but that's just at the top of my head. And be patient.. very patient. :?

And good luck :D

#35785 by gbheil
Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:56 am
Andrew is right on target here girl. I came on this site a while back no audio just looking for amiture level musicians to start a band with. I spent months (six I think) almost daily sending out E mails doing searches and being really frustrated. But the fighter in me would not let me tap out.
Now our band is together were writing new songs played a few gigs made good friends both on the Mix forum and in our Band. Nothing is going to come looking for you. If you want it you will have to create it out of the sheer will of your intent.

#35816 by sunneydaze
Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:20 pm
Thanks for the support! It's pretty hard to keep fighting I find, mostly because I doubt myself way too much. I tend to assume that if nothing's presenting itself, then that means I'm just not good enough, but that's just my own issue lol. If nothing else, this site will act as a good, strong support group, which is worth more than anything.

#35819 by gbheil
Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:31 pm
Dont doubt yourself that is a waste of energy. Be aware of who you are and where you are in the talent spectrum. Seek and use others in your range who also seek constant improvement. ( example ) In a six piece band if one or two key members are stronger musicians, all will grow. Provided those with the greater talent are willing to work under this arrangement.

#35829 by RhythmMan
Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:44 pm
sunneydaze,
It's time for you to start hitting open mikes.
Go to at least one a week.

#35831 by sunneydaze
Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:59 pm
I'm hoping to actually play an open mic at the Stewart Park Festival on the weekend of th 18th. I still need more details about when it is exactly, but I'm going to try to polish up the songs I've written, maybe add a few more songs to my repertoire by then.

By the way, rhythmman, I like your stuff. I always find the guitar part of a song to be the most difficult to write. You always want it to be unique and interesting, but not overly complicated. It's too bad you're all the way in Connecticut, I'd love to do some songs with you. I like your style.