This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#9252 by Irminsul
Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:15 pm
I've raised hell about this time and time again, and have seen little improvement to the problem. I can only assume then, that lotsa folks who register at BandMix are in fact not serious musicians, but posers.

Sigh.

#9291 by Irminsul
Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:45 pm
That's a great suggestion. Pass it on to the management.

#9303 by Micawber
Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:28 am
Totally agree, wish there were more real musicians rather than the I think I have a lot of musical knowledge but have never played a gig in my life brigade.
Music is about sound yet these people love to let their lips flap and write posts that turn out to be as long as a novel passing on all the knowledge they think they have gained by watching real musicians but they are telling us nothing really because they dont back up their words with a bit of audio on their own profile.
In my opinion no audio = no qualification to be here

#9307 by Irminsul
Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:50 pm
Micawber wrote:Totally agree, wish there were more real musicians rather than the I think I have a lot of musical knowledge but have never played a gig in my life brigade.
Music is about sound yet these people love to let their lips flap and write posts that turn out to be as long as a novel passing on all the knowledge they think they have gained by watching real musicians but they are telling us nothing really because they dont back up their words with a bit of audio on their own profile.

You sure nailed that one on the head. And what's worse, this is not a phenomenon isolated to BandMix. I see the same thing on other musicians forums, local or international. Sometimes it gets to the point of hilarious....last week a singer contacted me about hooking up, saying she had been to my site and was interested in learning more because she was in the market to perform. I asked her if she had any audio of her singing I could audition, and she suddenly got strangely evasive. She began asking more and more questions about my material, where I see this going etc, and I asked her several times how I could hear her sing. "Do you have a MySpace?" "No." "How about an mp3 or two anywhere else online?" "No" "Can I come somewhere locally and hear you sing?" "I'm not performing anywhere." JEEEBUS......I finally just gave up and stopped answering her emails. What a waste of time.

The more I examine this, the more I think you can whittle it down to deep desires becoming delusional. It's almost a Cartesian thing - "I really really really want to be a musician, therefore I am" The problem is, this is not like a chat channel where you can say that you are a top rung tennis player and no one really knows differently to call you on it; music ability can be demonstrated online - the proof in the pudding, as it were - and this poses a real problem to the poser. What they usually end up doing is dismissing requests to hear their music with excuses ranging from lack of equipment to lack of money (silly as that is since you can post your music on hundreds of sites now for free) and then write lengthy postings about it all.

Well that was longer than I intended but I get real fed up with this, so maybe I had to vent. Grrr.

#9605 by johnnya
Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:05 pm
yea maybe seperate areas for beginners, for pictures, and so forth, the main area would be for those who have pic, mp3, video or like you said something to work with.

#10225 by censored
Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:04 pm
I'd have audio up... if I had recording software. But that's coming soon.

#10291 by JJW III
Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:31 am
Micawber wrote:Totally agree, wish there were more real musicians rather than the I think I have a lot of musical knowledge but have never played a gig in my life brigade.

Funny I was thinking the very same thing . I have like 6 tunes posted so I practice what I preach.

It is amazing how many are completely delusional about what it takes to go anywhere in music, and it starts with a demo of your skills. Basically talk is cheap and the BS ends right there. I don't care if it is 20 seconds and recorded on a boom box. Another thing. I don't care what the demo music is. Whether it be metal, pop, jazz etc. does not matter whether I would contact some one or not. It is the potential of what they can do.

For the record, no demo on your profile and I skip it.

One other thing I look at is how the musician writes. It tells me a great deal of what kind of person they are and what they might be like as a band member.

#10769 by Cathy-Anne
Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:22 pm
Just because you haven't gigged and don't have music up doesn't mean your not a real musician. I write my own songs and have the misfortune of being in high school and not playing metal or punk so I can't get a band together. I thought that was the point of this sight, to find people. It sounds a little snobbish saying that only if you have recording equipment you are an actual musician because I have been writing songs for the past 4 years, ones that mean something. And yeah I spend all my money on concerts and albums otherwise I could have recording equipment but how long does it take for you to look at those pages as well? Yes, I at least have a link to myspace where I posted a video that I can't transfer on here because it's been deleted from my computer because it crashed. And yes there are some people that have only been playing their instrument for less than a year probably don't know chord structures and don't even care enough to make their page worth anyones time to look at, but just because there aren't audio files means nothing, it might me that they're broke. Like me! and with the bands so long as they have a link to myspace or something like that why waste the time posting audio files they're already up on there.

#10781 by Irminsul
Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:14 pm
Gromit, I have a 39 dollar digital voice recorder I carry around for recording meetings, or whatever. If that was all I had, you can bet your last bass string that I'd turn that sucker on and bang away a few piano pieces to then plug into my computer (3 dollar minijack cord, Radio Shack) record it and save it as an MP3 (Audacity, FREE audio recording and conversion software available to anyone who wants to be bothered to download it) and then upload it to this FREE site.

Come on man, you obviously have a computer so at the very least your talking about a less than 50 dollar investment to get some of your work up on BandMix. I'm sorry but I just do not buy the Me So Poor routine when it comes to uploading audio these days. It's just too damn easy and cheap.

#10783 by RhythmMan
Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:57 pm
It's actually cheaper than that.
My first postings here cost me the price of a patchcord - (1/8" Mini plug to 1/4"), about $5 from Radio Shack.

#10995 by RhythmMan
Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:39 pm
Wizened Old Men, hey.
You said, " . . . I would like to get a little more information before I contact someone, such as what type of music do they want to play, not just influences (I am influenced by everyone from Bach to Zappa, but I want and can play the blues), years playing, gigging experience, etc. . . . . ."
And - you said it right.
Also, on other sites, it's unbelievable the number of ads where they don't even say where they ARE.
I actually saw an add that said, " guitar player available." That was it!
Oh! Good! I'll call him, and we can start a band tonight!
Geez, people . . . you gotta THINK . . . .

#11000 by Irminsul
Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:44 pm
BluesRockFunkJazz wrote:I actually saw an add that said, " guitar player available." That was it!

HA! That's classic.

Seriously, one thing I've discovered is that, just because someone can get themselves online does not mean they are that smart.

Remind me of an incident at my uncle's house, when I was about 6 years old. I was trying to get out the back door and I couldnt get the door to move. I was tugging, pulling with all my might. It wouldn't move. So my uncle is watching this from the other room, he slowly gets up, walks over to the door and lifts the little hook latch that was keeping it closed. He looked at me and said "If you want to open a door, first you have to be smarter than the door."