This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#281301 by schmedidiah
Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:38 am
Here are Threat Signal's numbers on Facebook. If that's real people following them they're pretty impressive stats for this day and age, Canada or otherwise.

"84,538 people like this

80,137 people follow this"

Is that well known?
#281727 by B12
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:10 pm
No known metal bands from Canada?
Say whaaat?

-cryptopsy
-kataklysm
-angelmaker
-strapping young lad
-gorguts
-into eternity
-protest the hero
-woods of ypres
-beneath the massacre
-the agonist
-kittie
-dark covenant
-Longing for dawn
-ion dissonance
-despised icon
-beyond creation
-unleash the archors
-shark infested daughters
-Quo Vadis
-cancer bats
-archspire
.......you get the idea

Doesn't compare much to America er anything but we got some decent bands here
#281750 by Erik_G
Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:40 pm
I would argue SYL, Kittie, and Protest the Hero are well known by metal standards. I think metal has moved back to the underground since it's explosion in the 90's and 00's. There is also just not as much money in the big labels to be able to sign and mass market metal anymore. You can't really live the sex, drugs, & Rock and roll lifestyle anymore that's for sure.
#281751 by MikeTalbot
Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:00 pm
Children of Bodom (Finland) are a favorite of mine and while they seem to well known in Europe not so much in USA.

Why? Even though they perform in English (like most bands) it seems to me that the US is where the 'machine' lives, the one that puts bands out in front of the wider audience. (George, Ted, am I off base here?)

My take on it is simple, I'm very glad the Europeans (and Canadians) are getting it done. Too many American bands (certainly not all) are pop, rap or some other sort of genre that just plain don't work for me.

Merry Christmas
Talbot
#281752 by crossharpboogie
Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:43 am
Well aving lived in Canada during the great Metal era and been an over active fan in Vancouver I can honestly say that there are no places for bands to play and are thus stuck in the rehearsal hall of fame. Thus if there is no public buzz from shows, the industry feels that genre is dead. Metal has a funny money audience as well. The fans are broke, some homeless and or living in their parents garage. Plus the property value increases here in Seattle, and Canada's big cities pushed rent s so high that bands cannot commit to music full time and live in a place using funds from gigs that are also not there.
Simply put, Corporate and middle to upper income has pushed heavy metal, hard Rock, Punk, and other aggressive styles that attract a crowd financial challenged and property values lowers.
Unfortunately, Metal fans who are in the 22% income bracket has not figured a way to get the other 78% to buy it. Just ask Chris Jericho, he will tell you the same. Even WWE has been moving away from the Metal wrestling genre.
#281753 by crossharpboogie
Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:54 am
please define well known. Well known in The world or europe, USA, Canada, Metal heads? Believe it or not, one of those bands fro Canada that has a big variable fan base is Fozzy, due to Chris Jericho"s notoriety from WWE, That Metal Show and hosting of the Metal wards. By the way, I listened to Fozzy's new cd and I feel it is much better than the others.