This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of Canada.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#216420 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:35 pm
Metal = limited audience, limited sound.

I wouldn't call Rush 'metal'.

#216428 by PaperDog
Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:36 pm
Maybe all the Canadian listeners aren't showing enough of the love (for their local artists) . You know the saying: If a Canadian cant love a musician, then how can they expect an international, global market promoter to?

#216439 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:35 pm
You've got to remember that the population of Canada is around 34 million, about 1/10 of the US.

#216612 by JMZCustomGuitars
Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:49 am
GuitarMike

if you take all the commercially signed US metal bands and divided that total by 10 I think you would still have less commercially signed metal bands.

yeah I wouldn't call Rush 'metal'.......but the list was soo short I was grasping for straws.

cheers!

John

#216660 by GuitarMikeB
Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:34 pm
No doubt true, but what you have to think about is the make-up of Canada and its population as a whole - PEI, Newfoundland, Labrador, Cape Breton, New Brunswick, Yukon areas are unlikely to produce any metal music, they have their own styles and traditions. Nova Scotia's not much different except there's an influx of students from other areas in Halifax, at least.

BTW, I was born in Quebec (Granby) lived there until I started 4th grade, did 3 years of university in Muntreal and my wife is from Ottawa. And one of my current favorite bands is Great Big Sea from Newfoundland!
Meeting up with another guitarist/songwriter next week who comes from PEI!

#216857 by JMZCustomGuitars
Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:36 am
ahhh, Quebec and Ottawa, Ontario......I killed many of my own braincells in those parts during my younger days. (Carlleton U baby!)

you're right about PEI, Newfoundland, Labrador, New Brunswick etc...

Just the way of life in those parts is very unlikely to inspire that sort of aggression usually present with the metal genre

Good luck with your musician meet up. Hopefully you guys create something good!

cheers!

John

#220436 by AGX82
Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:35 am
Excuse ME guys............Annihilator HELLO

#220438 by SCReams
Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:42 am
Canada is too busy producing stuff to make us laugh.

#221818 by bentayuk
Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:58 am
I can think of a few: Annihilator, Cryptopsy, 3 Inches Of Blood, Into Eternity, Kittie, Strapping Young Lad, Kataklysm, Protest The Hero, Ion Dissonance, Despised Icon....
You have to remember that Canada's landmass compared to their population has a lot to do with this. Metal is very popular here, but in terms of cohesive scenes by city, it varies a lot.

#221850 by JMZCustomGuitars
Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:25 pm
bentayuk wrote:I can think of a few: Annihilator, Cryptopsy, 3 Inches Of Blood, Into Eternity, Kittie, Strapping Young Lad, Kataklysm, Protest The Hero, Ion Dissonance, Despised Icon....
You have to remember that Canada's landmass compared to their population has a lot to do with this. Metal is very popular here, but in terms of cohesive scenes by city, it varies a lot.

Sorry you said Annihilator and who?
I've never heard of any of these guys, but will look them up RIGHT NOW!

LONG LIVE METAL!

John

#222187 by bentayuk
Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:37 am
Really? Cryptopsy have been a tech deathmetal force for the last 20 years. They're amazing, their drummer Flo Mounier is easily onecof the best drummers alive.
Also, Strapping Young Lad?! Devin Townsend? He's been Canadian metal's spokesman for nearly a decade!
Check them out, theyre great.