This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#59823 by Septic1759
Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:49 pm
Yep ya can come have holiday at mine- so long as you bring the beers. And what's wrong with NYC ?

****This posting comes to obscenity free*****

Regards

Me
#59832 by Mark Phillips
Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:56 pm
Hi Cripp,
Come to England, we (I use that we term rather presumptiously) would love to have you and there are plenty of places to play rock... or just to listen to it even.
My wife is a new British citizen, and I love to remind her... 'you are British, and that means that in the great lottery of life, you have won first prize!'
I am only kidding of course, and she is still as in love with her old country in some ways, but happy to stay here!
Cheers,
Mark..................

#60180 by HowlinJ
Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:02 am
Mary,
You seem to be in the right place to find a decent drummer,as the best three drummers I,ve ever seen were Brits. (Baker, Moon and, of course, Honey Lantree)

Mark,
Franky's guitar looks a lot like an old Vox Student Prince I once had! :twisted: ( When I was through venting my hostilities upon it, I affixed what remained of the neck to a piece of 4x4 lumber and made a reasonably playable lap steel).

Back in the late 60's I seen Pete Townsend destroy a Fender Telecaster in New York City. It altered my perception on how a guitar should be properly played.

Cheers,
Howlin'
#60218 by Mark Phillips
Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:21 am
Hello Howlin,
On this perfect sunny warm Sussex morning at 09.00... till I came inside and switched on this computer I was out on a bench in the sun with my guitar and first one then a second cup of tea... we Brits like a cup of tea to start the day!

I have a headset with ear defenders that you plug into the guitar and can play even beside a main road if you want... but my batteries need recharging and I've lost its charger, so I was out there twanging the electric acoustically so to speak.

My drum heros (like you say) are all Brits I think: Ginger Baker certainly is near the top, and Phil Collins and Guy Evans... actually Howlin, these days I aspire more to the technique of Collins than Baker.
Keith Moon I only have vague memories of as I wasn't into the Who when he was still alive.
I have no idea who Honey Lantree was, or played with! Though the name does ring a bell.

Over here there has just been a half burned Strat sold in auction that Hendix's road manager says he had been keeping in a garage near Brighton since Hendrix died... it sold for loads, but I think it was just a modern concoction by a guy running short of funds.

I reckon Pete Townsend destroyed his Telecaster because he was so disappointed by the Fender quality... at least I notice he has Telecasters built by Schecter now!
As also Mark Knopfler has Strats.

I plan to do my first recording in my garden workshop studio later today when the building is good and warm for my fingers... I have arthritis from an accident and in my finger joints it takes a while and a bit of warmth to free up and let my fingers move at their maximum sluggish speed!

Cheers Howlin!
Mark..........................
#60222 by HowlinJ
Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:01 pm
Mark Phillips wrote:Hello Howlin,
... we Brits like a cup of tea to start the day

I have no idea who Honey Lantree was, or played with! Though the name does ring a bell.

I reckon Pete Townsend destroyed his Telecaster because he was so disappointed by the Fender quality... at least I notice he has Telecasters built by Schecter now!

Cheers Howlin!
Mark..........................

Mark,
It is presently 7:30 eastern daylight savings time her, and I shall soon brew a large pot of coffee, then go out back to our new house to continue construction on our new house. ( I hope to finish up the staircase today!)

However....

I feel compelled to bring you up to speed on a few points.

Firstly, Here's Honey! :) (probably the first girl drummer rock star!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbhfWGdfePc

As to that now defunct Telecaster that I saw Townsend abuse,, your assumption of poor quality couldn't be farther from the truth.
I seen the Who (and Cream) TWICE on the same day at a major rock event in NYC back in 67. (Cost,4 dollars, and if you stayed in the theater, you could stay for the days second show!).
In both performances, Pete used the same Telly! Testimony to the durability of these fine instruments.
My old high school classmate, George Smith, has ben playing his 52 Fender Telecaster since the mid 60's! Probably , that guitar has more playing miles on it then any other on the planet, since he toured with Dylan, Bowie,Hall & Oats, jammed with many great blues players such as Buddy Guy, and most everyone else in the world! George also has his own line of Fender Telecaster which utilizes a old fender lap steel type pickup so guys like Crip could use them to crank out some heavy metal!
(I'll try to find you a link to the G.E.Smith Telecaster as time permits)

Wow! it took me a long time to type up this post, so I'll be checkin' back with ya later. Enjoy the video!
Howlin'
#60236 by Mark Phillips
Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:46 pm
Hello Howlin,
I remember that song 'Have I the right' very well now, though I was fairly young being eight then.
Then I watched the Utube clip of them playing it in 2008... seemed to have lost their get up and go... and the lady drummer!

I was kidding about fender teles not being good, I am sure they are tough old guitars; I was just saying it because I know Townsend now has Telecasters made in America by Schecter Guitars which he prefers I believe.

I did a bit of recording in my new garden studio an hour ago... Hmm, mixed results; it is my latest song and the guitar part is far to hard for my stiff old fingers really, but after three or four tries when I gave up halfway though, I did in the end finish (I mean get to the end!) the whole thing.
Next track vocals: what a job after only singing and playing the guitar together, I find I can't do the idiosyncratic timing when I sing with no guitar... but I can't do either to an acceptable standard to record both simultaneously!

You have my respect Howlin on building your own house; a wonderful thing to have house-building skills I think, and I did work for a year as a builder's mate before my arthritis started to get going and I wish I could still do all that stuff.

It's 13.43 now so I think I shall ride my motorbike and sidecar (my only transport) into town to get a bit of lunch and red wine at my Turkish restaurant.
I hope you finish the stairs... I would pop across the pond and help you but you will have finished it by the time I get there!
Cheers,
Mark.......................

#60243 by philbymon
Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:28 pm
Go to the dirtiest, dingiest, scariest bar you can find, & talk to ugly ppl about your need for a drummer. If you don't meet one immediately, wait until morning & check the roadside ditches nearby. You're bound to find a great one that way.
#60304 by Mark Phillips
Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:36 pm
Hello Philby,
My appologies for going off at a tangent about building and recording on a finding drummers thread.
I can only say in my defence that a short way back we were talking about keith Moon and Ginger Baker... if that counts?
Mark.............

#60460 by HowlinJ
Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:00 am
Mark,
Frig the apologies. If Mary doesn't like us hijackin her thread to discuss telecasters, she can tell us herself! :twisted:

anyways...
I thought you might like to have a look and give a listen to Good ol' George's thick necked heavy sounding Telecaster.

check it out if you get the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnQYoRYedF0

enjoy
Howlin'

#68624 by themarz
Wed May 27, 2009 8:31 pm
LOl Been catching up on threads and this has certainly twisted around....we did find a drummer!...he's brill...even looks the part!...big bloke with long hair...(he's a bouncer too at weekends)....we played our first festival last weekend...the provided sound guys were Twatts!...but we muddled through and got a booking !

thanks for your advice....we're getting there :P

#68810 by zackota micho
Thu May 28, 2009 11:05 pm
you are too scared to play with girls and you don't want to play with foreigners. English music is out anyway. Why not moove on play with foreigners?

#68811 by zackota micho
Thu May 28, 2009 11:07 pm
are racist's, always waiting for the call from the US, even so they actually listen to foreigners already and totally untypical stuff.

#80877 by blipskrieg
Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:28 pm
If you can't find your own drummer then steal someone elses. Go see some bands play at your nearest music venues and start poaching. Or have you thought about advertising for one. Most musicians know a lot of other musicians who know a lot of other musicians, get networking. As for this being the worst music site..........does somebody need a hug?

#80894 by gbheil
Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:13 am
Being as we've revived a three month old post I just got to say.

I usually find ours lurking somewhere behind the kick! :D

#86587 by eVL_e
Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:05 am
videos and such on my profile here

checking emails when notified

rare to see such respect for drummers, you guys must know how to play your instruments, now thats worth moving to england