This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#271806 by mike308560
Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 pm
Is it just me or is anyone else fed up of pub rock covers bands playing the same OLD stuff (if I hear wishing well one more time I think I'll rip my frigging ears off, a classic I know, but SO over covered!) I would like to hear some newer songs (and I'm a 54 year old singer) Where are the bands playing peppers, foo fighters, nirvana, black keys?
#271855 by GuitarMikeB
Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:29 pm
Maybe you just need to get out of 'Dudley', wherever that is! I never heard of that song (Wishing Well). Cover band songs tend to be regional-based (i.e., what's popular on the local radio/classic rock stations).
#271859 by schmedidiah
Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:31 pm
GuitarMikeB wrote:Maybe you just need to get out of 'Dudley', wherever that is! I never heard of that song (Wishing Well). Cover band songs tend to be regional-based (i.e., what's popular on the local radio/classic rock stations).

I'm thinking Wishing Well is Terence Trent D'Arby. A decent enough pop song, but I would cringe if I heard it two outings in a row.
#272683 by angus300740
Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:22 pm
I suspect it's rather more likely to be Free. ;)

Rock cover bands often play the same tunes because that's what punters want to hear. Most of them don't know the difference between one local covers band and the next (unless they've been on the go long enough to attract a following). And it quickly becomes apparent that punters will dance (and buy beer) to songs they know already.

It's also the case that when you're getting a set together you often need a few more tunes to fill it out - which is where the Wishing Well, All Right Now, Proud Mary, Fool For Your Loving and Rocking In The Free World come in. Most people know how to play most of these songs, so they can come together pretty quickly.

My own band tries to avoid the most obvious songs, but you do have to get people buying beer and enjoying themselves. Or vice versa. We do chuck in things like Wildhearts, Icicle Works and Screaming Jets songs to keep ourselves (and the odd punter who can't believe you're playing something by his favourite band) entertained.
#272869 by mike308560
Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:35 am
Time will tell, i'm currently putting a band together (just need a drummer!) that plays mainly post 1980's bands, REM, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Black Keys ,Peppers, Cult etc.....We are doing a Beatles track (well I guess you have to!) but it is Come Together! Should be gigging by this summer, so I guess we'll see!
Hope there's a market for it.