This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#225323 by mike66
Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:14 pm
I have played in both covers and originals bands, and covers are more difficult. Why? In an originals band no one can tell you that you are playing it wrong. :D

#225340 by GuitarMikeB
Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:39 pm
mike66 wrote:I have played in both covers and originals bands, and covers are more difficult. Why? In an originals band no one can tell you that you are playing it wrong. :D

Funny, I said exactly the same thing to someone Friday night at an open mic. :lol:

#229692 by songzstrez
Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:16 pm
1: They take up decent musicians who could be doing something..you know..creative!! - THAT'S THE MUSICIANS CHOICE!!

2: They all play the same goddamn setlist..yawn - DON'T LISTEN THEN! YOU MUST HAVE LOTS OF TIME ON YOUR HANDS TO BE PUTTING OTHER PEOPLES WAY OF EARNING MONEY DOWN!

3: They mostly suck! SO YOU'VE HEARD ALL COVER BANDS??

4: For people in covers bands the driving motivation seems to be money... is that what its really about? IS IT WHEN YOU'RE A SINGLE PARENT SUPPORTING YOUR CHILD AND YOU DON'T WANT TO SIT BEHIND A DESK DOING SOMETHING TOTALLY ALIEN TO YOU!!

So, i say to you, get out there and be creative..the world has enough bad covers bands!! THAT'S ALL WELL AND GOOD IF YOU'VE GOT THE MONEY TO PAY YOUR MORTGAGE WHILST SITTING ON YOUR ARSE WRITING!!

I THOUGHT ALL MUSICIANS WERE IN THIS BUSINESS TOGETHER NO MATTER IN WHAT CAPACITY? STOP HATING AND RESPECT ALL MUSICIANS.

#229701 by Starfish Scott
Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:17 pm
The problem is that most cover bands DO NOT sound like who they are trying to cover and they have no idea or refuse to see the truth.

They get into the "good enough" mode. As in, "we're good enough, so screw it we'll play for these plonkers and collect a few pounds in the meantime".

If you have to cover something, it better be cracking or you're just delusional and making yourself look like a bad comedy.

Make those covers your own as well.

I hate covers but if I do one, you know I am going to beat that so hard that even bladdered in a blizzard, while giving birth to a cloven hoof child, casting a spell, it's going to be damn well perfect and bob's your uncle.

Otherwise why bother?

I like to listen to cover bands now and again though. It gives me entertainment while I am getting loaded. lol And part of the process is watching/hearing others do things YOU should never do.

As for the single parent thing, 9 months later is too late to worry about it.
A spare Jimmy Hat is never a bad thing, but that involves foresight.
And that's something not all of us have at fruition.

#230485 by Amsie
Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:30 am
Im 40 years old and I've been playing drums for about a year and a half now and only now have the confidence to come on here and look for other "musicians" to jam with.

Other than that, my musical experience has involved turning the radio on in the van on the way to work, and getting drunk in pubs and clubs with music on.

For me personally, cover bands that I have seen at weddings, holidays etc have always been entertaining and it's the most likely avenue I would have any chance of pursuing when looking to join a band.

I'd never consider myself a musician as I have the creative thinking of a block of wood, but I personally like playing along to music that I like.

My brother in law is a "musician" and his band write and perform all their own material. He has said that its hard for them to get gigs and if they did covers they would be able to make more money but he is dead against it.

Each to their own, but in my observation learning covers, and learning drums, I can say that it seems to me to be quite robotic learning the cover, but fun to play once learned.

I have had the offer of getting together with an originals band to jam but I don't know if I would be creative enough to offer anything to them with my lack of experience???

#234193 by David_19
Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:48 pm
I learnt a huge amount in covers bands, especially stage presence, bands I've been in we made 100% successful, we'd always fill venues so always got bookings, we'd gig every week and often 3 or 4 times a week.
I've met a lot of people/musicians, seen a lot of venues, became "famous" in my own town which suited me more than national fame I guess.
Learnt a lot of live sound, how to get it consistently, how to get a great sounding PA and eliminate feedback, get great foldback.. this list goes on and on.

Done originals too, did about 10 gigs in total, had audiences of 20 people. The main singer songwriter wrote a grammy winner for Johnny Winter. But yup, learnt a lot about what makes a good song and how to get through endless rehearsals. :roll:

#234229 by Starfish Scott
Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:50 am
Amsie wrote:Im 40 years old and I've been playing drums for about a year and a half now and only now have the confidence to come on here and look for other "musicians" to jam with.

Other than that, my musical experience has involved turning the radio on in the van on the way to work, and getting drunk in pubs and clubs with music on.

For me personally, cover bands that I have seen at weddings, holidays etc have always been entertaining and it's the most likely avenue I would have any chance of pursuing when looking to join a band.

I'd never consider myself a musician as I have the creative thinking of a block of wood, but I personally like playing along to music that I like.

My brother in law is a "musician" and his band write and perform all their own material. He has said that its hard for them to get gigs and if they did covers they would be able to make more money but he is dead against it.

Each to their own, but in my observation learning covers, and learning drums, I can say that it seems to me to be quite robotic learning the cover, but fun to play once learned.

I have had the offer of getting together with an originals band to jam but I don't know if I would be creative enough to offer anything to them with my lack of experience???

Don't take it so seriously. Some would say that the more you are taught, the more your views are conditioned or jaded.

If you sat around with your instrument and just learned to play what's in your skull, you'd be surprised at how well you might play at some point.

Learn to play what's already in your head, tune that in. That's where the real stuff lies. Plenty of people can play all sorts of things, but by learning to play what's coming out of your head, you condition yourself to listen to your inner self. I know it's sounds plonky, but it's true.

Round here, plenty can play this or that, but they improv like they are trying to pass a kidney stone. By listening and tuning in what's going through your dome, you free yourself up for something that is uniquely you. That is, unless you like playing Ozzy all night long. I just get bored playing what everyone else is playing. The mind is a terrible thing to waste on covers.. lol
#234554 by NoWorries
Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:39 pm
Most if not all the legends I've been influenced by from Hendrix through Rory to SRV, did covers as well as their own stuff. Some had periods when 75% of what they did was covers. Doing some covers is sensible, its when that is ALL a band can do that it gets tedious.

#234650 by ian07587631932tex
Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:00 pm
I just love to play what ever I play I make my own ,
#238501 by Mickey P
Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:26 pm
Ain't got time to read all these posts but I gotta comment.
Without a trailorload of shite cover bands, how could 'clued up' people appreciate the good ones.
I've heard a plethora of bands doing their own material, many have CD's (sorry, iTunes downloads) released. Most of them suck, many disappear up their own collective rectums.
Bands (generic) like Led Zeppelin made their name from covers, many uncredited for decades, and are touted by narrow minded sheep as the best band ever.
Lastly, I have spent years DJ-ing for parties and weddings and I can tell you this for sure.... People don't pay me to play GOOD music. As with generic cover bands, Cheese is the golden rule. Cheddar, Edam or Wensleydale, you don't work the crowd, you won't get bookings.
As for wasting good musicians: The good musician in the classic covers band playing all right now, sex on fire and living on a prayer, is playing for the money. He ain't wasted cos he wouldn't be an asset to your band?
Suck it up Buttercup, get over yourself. 8)
#238630 by Mickey P
Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:52 pm
WTF?

Get the distinct impression I've just missed something important. Talk amongst yourselves while I catch up.
:wink:
#238635 by schmedidiah
Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:07 pm
Maybe... :|
#258686 by dudders
Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:49 pm
I have a pathlogy-whatever hatred of 'originals' bands.

1: They take up decent musicians who could be doing something..you know..entertaining!!

2: They all play basically the same song time and again with different words..yawn

3: They mostly suck!

4: For people in originals bands the driving motivation seems to be money...'one day we'll get that hit and be rich'...is that really what it's about?

So, i say to you, get out there and be entertaining..the world has enough bad originals bands!!