This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#258688 by Planetguy
Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:27 am
dudley311936 wrote:I have a pathlogy-whatever hatred of 'originals' bands.

1: They take up decent musicians who could be doing something..you know..entertaining!!

2: They all play basically the same song time and again with different words..yawn

3: They mostly suck!

4: For people in originals bands the driving motivation seems to be money...'one day we'll get that hit and be rich'...is that really what it's about?

So, i say to you, get out there and be entertaining..the world has enough bad originals bands!!

IRONY ALERT!

Dudley, i checked your profile page and the two songs you have posted....BOTH COVERS!!! :lol:

i've been playing in scores of bands for over 40 yrs and have never been in a "cover band"....not MY thing, but i do understand the draw and why some people do it. you know what...different strokes for different folks. i'm not gonna sit in judgement of anyone who goes that route. 8)
#258697 by schmedidiah
Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:51 am
What do cover bands play, exactly?

Songs by original bands, you say?

Fascinating! :lol:
#258698 by schmedidiah
Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:12 am
Mark, scroll up page 5 of this thread. This guy covered someone else's original post! :shock: :lol:
#271527 by Badstrat
Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:20 pm
But don't "nobody musicians" often denigrate other musicians success to some degree? Seems so at times.

Look at the brighter side of things. Surly you realize that if your stuff was worth a crap successful musicians would buy and perform it. Or at least you would be touring performing your own material. Then cover bands would be covering you! And you wouldn't be here ragging on something someone else wrote and made a ton of money performing. Incidentally stuff that the general public will pay high dollar ticket prices to hear and that they even enjoy hearing from cover bands. Even the crappy musicians who made it big are probably happy with the fame and money. But even they don't get all the hot babes. There are more than enough Yokos' out there to go around.

Call or go to book a venue sometime. When they ask you what you play tell them only originals. If they ask if any of your originals ever hit the charts and you can say no, but at least we don't do those crappy successful cover tunes. How do you think that would fly?
#271537 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:18 am
There are a lot of places in England that wouldn't book a cover band. That's why english bands are so much more original (and successful) than your average american band, or any other country for that matter.

It's really amazing how much impact that little island has on the world of music and film.
#274055 by The Backbeat
Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:00 pm
TARIFF wrote:1: They take up decent musicians who could be doing something..you know..creative!!

2: They all play the same goddamn setlist..yawn

3: They mostly suck!

4: For people in covers bands the driving motivation seems to be money... is that what its really about?

So, i say to you, get out there and be creative..the world has enough bad covers bands!!

/Rant off

Yes,money is what it's about I'm afraid.There are only a handful of original artists/bands that could probably match what I make in a "covers" (oooh shudder!) band.

Don't get me wrong,I'd give my right arm if I didn't actually need it to be touring with an originals band,but the money is just nowhere near as good.I do work with a few artists for free but that ironically is only because I do so well in my covers band.I dont hear those guys complaining.
And yes,each member of my band could more than cut it in any band they got an audition with,but seeing as it's a very ruthless image/age driven business (as it always has been),then I'll happily take a good living from it rather than take a day job.
#274103 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:53 am
The Backbeat wrote:
Yes,money is what it's about I'm afraid.There are only a handful of original artists/bands that could probably match what I make in a "covers" (oooh shudder!) band..

Every person has a different path.

Simply doing "covers" isn't the answer because you have to get close to being as good as the original band you are copying. And yet, just because you do "originals" doesn't mean your music is any good. That mostly depends on your songwriter(s).

If you are someone who has an imagination and something worth saying, you'll be frustrated in a cover band. If you're someone who just wants to have fun and make some quick cash, then the work of creating something new is going to be frustrating.

However, long term there is no money in a cover band. All you will ever make is what you get at the end of a night. That always has holes in the schedule and you're replacing the drummer or bassist every 5 months.

On the flip side - If you write/record/publish as an original band you could make decent money with royalties, assuming you work harder than a cover band. It will take longer to establish than a cover band, and there is no guarantee you'll ever make a cent, but the only musicians making BIG money consistently are the one who (successfully) do that.

Money aside.... it is so much more fulfilling artistically to create than to copy. Not everyone is a player for the art though. Songwriters need those people to cover their songs.

So both are quite necessary for the art to continue.

#274260 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:49 am
david316800 wrote:Money, in a covers band, you jest surely, there is no f**king money in playing live music at any level other then the top.

Between 1979 and 1990, I worked in a hundred bands that played my original music, and also did covers. We competed for gigs in the local bar scene and did quite well for a local band...but that's a dead end. We'd start making decent money, then the bass player or drummer would flake out and we'd have to start over.

I quit for several years and my only musical outlet was writing songs, so I started a home studio and made a lot of demos. Saved my money to record those songs and started producing albums in the late 90s with studio players instead of building bands that fell apart before the album was done.

When my third indie album came out, I was signed by an indie label with major distribution in 2002 and it still took another 3 years to establish a network of venues, but since 2005 I've made a good living with my own original music.. Raised 6 kids, paid off 2 houses, etc.

It can be done. It takes a plan, but more than that, it takes faith in your ability to complete that plan. If you really believe you've got something people would like enough to buy, you'll put your money where you mouth is. Then it's just a matter of going through the door in front of you, over and over until you get somewhere.

Find a need and fill it. That's the secret to getting and keeping "customers" (aka fans) in any business. In my case, I expanded a small sub-genre and became a big fish in a little pond. I'm not "famous" like those at the top, but who can eat that anyway?

#275313 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:04 pm
eddiestead wrote:Betchya have nay heard a tribute cover of "Donald Where's Me Troosers" tooted on the pipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqtFnAZu1YI

didnae no, mate!?
Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
#275317 by Badstrat
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:55 pm
"Betchya have nay heard a tribute cover of "Donald Where's Me Troosers" tooted on the pipes."

Thanks heaps. Now that will be banging around in my head all day.