This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#167185 by PaperDog
Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:54 am
Its been my observation that British Pop/Rock scene has reliably produced creative band after creative band over the last 50 years...
My question is why, how...and what does America need to change to match the par?

Thanks mates!

Cheers

P>S I'm American citizen but my heritage is English/Irish...any U.S comrades takin' offense to my question y'all can Piss off ... LOL!

#167192 by RGMixProject
Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:20 am
If your statement is true, its because the youth over there have way to much free time on there hands.

Oh no wait.... its the free health care.

They have been around longer?

Nope

I was just over there and they said the same thing about us. :shock:

They know how to plagiarize and get away with it?

#167224 by Starfish Scott
Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:34 pm
I thought that people just play what they feel.

I never thought you actually get a choice.
You just do one thing better than the rest and voici , that's your genre.

#167233 by PaperDog
Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:21 pm
RGMixProject wrote:If your statement is true, its because the youth over there have way to much free time on there hands.

Oh no wait.... its the free health care.

They have been around longer?

Nope

I was just over there and they said the same thing about us. :shock:

They know how to plagiarize and get away with it?

I can only speculate... But it seems to me, that they got @ 600-800 years on us, when it comes to presentation, elocution and delivery techniques. Ever since the 12 century, they've seemed to have a hold on the art of 'refinements" on many fronts, within the Language and culture. More concisely, They got history and maturity... We got a bit of history now, but I think we have a way to go on the maturity.

RG, You have stated a very critical point regarding 'Time on their hands'.... in America, we got 2.5million unemployed folks who have been that way for a couple of years now, and will remain that way for quite a while more. Maybe with that free time, we can look forward to some awsome American innovation , musically... Then again... maybe not...

I have a lot of UK friends, and family... They have told me... (Dont let anybody fool you...) They love america, but secretly, they view themselves as superior in the music arena... (One exception...they all agree that Jimi Hendrix is the real Guitar God) and he is home grown American.

#169219 by FC Bobby
Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:26 pm
culture , style and sophistication. thats the answer. :D

#169253 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:19 pm
The answer is much simpler. They do not form cover bands in England. Bands play some covers, but they never form a band with the intent of playing covers.

I spent a week checking out bands in Camdentown (London) in 1996 and every band played originals. In fact, the clubs only hire bands like that. Average pay was 40 quid at one of those clubs.

It's much easier to be "great" at doing something only you do. On the other hand, in America we seem to be really good at copycatting what others do, but that leaves us without an identity of our own.

#169281 by PaperDog
Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:35 am
yod wrote:The answer is much simpler. They do not form cover bands in England. Bands play some covers, but they never form a band with the intent of playing covers.

I spent a week checking out bands in Camdentown (London) in 1996 and every band played originals. In fact, the clubs only hire bands like that. Average pay was 40 quid at one of those clubs.

It's much easier to be "great" at doing something only you do. On the other hand, in America we seem to be really good at copycatting what others do, but that leaves us without an identity of our own.

When I Visited the Philippines, every club had a cover band...But the amazing thing was these guys blew the roofs off of the venues... If you closed your eyes, on the sidewalk and heard a Zepplin tune blasting out of the club..., you'd swear it was Page and Plant inside... If you went inside, You'd swear that they did it better than Page and Plant... If they ran outta beer though, you'd just swear..

#169591 by Tennessee Jedi
Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:46 pm
yod wrote:

Who invented Rock / Jazz / Blues ?
Give me a break !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

#169598 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:22 pm
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Who invented Rock / Jazz / Blues ?
Give me a break !

Africans invented all three and these styles were derived from gospel music Africans also invented. It was English rock bands that made blues popular in white America.

Overall, and on average, American bands are mostly cover bands. In the UK they are mostly original music.

next question?

#169603 by Tennessee Jedi
Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:52 pm
yod wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Who invented Rock / Jazz / Blues ?
Give me a break !

Africans invented all three and these styles were derived from gospel music Africans also invented. It was English rock bands that made blues popular in white America.

Overall, and on average, American bands are mostly cover bands. In the UK they are mostly original music.

next question?

They were invented in America by Americans for Americans.
Unless you dont think the " Africans " were American ?

#169617 by PaperDog
Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:21 pm
If you read on the previosly posted links, then you can see that the apex of musical emergence of these genres, lies in the 'evolution over time" .

The fact is, In the 50's Britain was saturated in Skiffle, which, as you know is a culmination of Jazz, Blues and other rythyms, later to be coined as R & R.

While the U.S. spawned a brand new package called Elvis (Who by the way did NOT 'write' or innovate Hound Dog, and/or many other hit songs) , the Brits were trying figure out what does it take to 'be' an Elvis, with out the disingenuous lack of compositional authenticity.. When you are inundated with 50K skiffle bands throughout the country, all asking the same question about this new accessibility to to guitar music...(called Rock n Roll) You basically have an international laboratory of song-writing at your fingertips... And you are in favorable odds of growing something like the Beatles or Floyd from it ...eventually.

Keep in mind... its a safe bet to state that UK Culture is (or used to be) very oriented toward the 'refinement' of conventions if on;y to rebel against it later. (Whereas the US is/was often more about the break-down and simplification of them) Lemme qualify this: If I were a Brit... I've been taught how to master the common essentials... If I am to cut edge, I have to know the full basics first... in order to conquer and advance to the next notch. So Yeah... I'm proper and can 'drink tea properly', an then I can go burn down your house... (LOL! )

I believe that The US cannot produce a "Beatles" or "Floyd", because its economic structure, its value system, and its general desire for fast/quick novelty, simply circumvents the possibility. England has been around a long time... US will get there someday..9But probably not in our lifetime)

#169619 by Tennessee Jedi
Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:39 pm
PaperDog wrote:
I believe that The US cannot produce a "Beatles" or "Floyd", because its economic structure, its value system, and its general desire for fast/quick novelty, simply circumvents the possibility. England has been around a long time... US will get there someday..9But probably not in our lifetime)

I would add Led Zep and the Who in there ....
The one common thread the bands have is they are born at the beginning of a movement and not after one.
There wont be another Beatles - anywhere - because the movement is Dead.

http://youtu.be/BQHZ7nvBSLY

#169626 by PaperDog
Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:15 pm
Tennessee Jedi wrote:
PaperDog wrote:

I would add Led Zep and the Who in there ....
The one common thread the bands have is they are born at the beginning of a movement and not after one.
There wont be another Beatles - anywhere - because the movement is Dead.

http://youtu.be/BQHZ7nvBSLY

Absolutely correct...