This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#169656 by Lynard Dylan
Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:28 am
My first trip across the ocean and I don't even
like the guy who started this thread( or read his
comments so I don't know what it's about, but to
speak to Mr. Yod assertations that Africans invented
Rock/Jazz/Blues aren't all three of these genres
actually just variations of the major scale and didn't
the Greeks come up with this and notate it on paper
in the BC times, there written proof, not a bunch of
guys beating on logs and screaming to keep the
lion out of the camp.

Far as English music goes I love the The Rolling Stones,
and the Brits have had a few other good groups also,
now that British humor I don't get it alot of the time.

#169679 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:22 pm
Tennessee Jedi wrote:
yod wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Who invented Rock / Jazz / Blues ?
Give me a break !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Africans invented all three and these styles were derived from gospel music Africans also invented. It was English rock bands that made blues popular in white America.

Overall, and on average, American bands are mostly cover bands. In the UK they are mostly original music.

next question?

They were invented in America by Americans for Americans.
Unless you dont think the " Africans " were American ?

They were owned by Americans when gospel, the foundation for blues, jazz and rock, was invented. They lived in America when jazz/blues were invented but not allowed to vote...so Americans didn't think they fully qualified as people, much less citizens evidently. There is a reason why early rock was called "race music".

So geographically it happened on this soil but it wouldn't have if Africans hadn't been forcibly brought here. I'm not saying white folk had no part in creating what we have today, but the genesis and root of it came from Africans. No way around that.

Generally speaking, Americans have always been better at taking someone else's idea and mass-producing it.

Leonard...your bitterness towards Dog is pointless. Let go of it please.

Greeks might have invented notation of musical scales (I think Israelis did but that's another thread) but we're talking about a style of music here. Greek music has a mediterranean style & sound, closer to arabic and israeli than blues or soul.

#169687 by Tennessee Jedi
Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:01 pm
yod wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:
yod wrote:
Give me a break !

Africans invented all three and these styles were derived from gospel music Africans also invented. It was English rock bands that made blues popular in white America.

Overall, and on average, American bands are mostly cover bands. In the UK they are mostly original music.

next question?

They were owned by Americans when gospel, the foundation for blues, jazz and rock, was invented. They lived in America when jazz/blues were invented but not allowed to vote...so Americans didn't think they fully qualified as people, much less citizens evidently. There is a reason why early rock was called "race music".

All the music above was created using rhythms from Africa - combined w/ European harmony and melody -and that was picked up in America.
There was never a guy Africa playing a 1-4-5 progression.
Its doesnt matter what you call it - these genres of music were created in America -Kinda why we call it the " melting pot " ....
:D

#169703 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:29 pm
Tennessee Jedi wrote:There was never a guy Africa playing a 1-4-5 progression.
:D

I disagree with this short view of history, but whatever.

That doesn't change the fact that UK bands are overwhelmingly original-based and American bands are overwhelmingly cover-bands.

One can not be original until they step out of the copy band mentality.

#169708 by PaperDog
Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:58 pm
yod wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:
yod wrote:
Give me a break !

next question?

I/m thinking in the absence of American influence, given that the UK colonized India, and parts of Africa, we might have had a different brand of R& R all together...

So geographically it happened on this soil but it wouldn't have if Africans hadn't been forcibly brought here. I'm not saying white folk had no part in creating what we have today, but the genesis and root of it came from Africans. No way around that.

Generally speaking, Americans have always been better at taking someone else's idea and mass-producing it.

Leonard...your bitterness towards Dog is pointless. Let go of it please.

Greeks might have invented notation of musical scales (I think Israelis did but that's another thread) but we're talking about a style of music here. Greek music has a mediterranean style & sound, closer to arabic and israeli than blues or soul.

#169753 by Lynard Dylan
Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:39 pm
Yod it's not bitterness, but I will let it go
on this forum.
Yod there are 7 notes in the major scale,
drop 2 of these notes and whatever order
you put them in you can play the major or
the minor pentatonic scale, this is alot of
what rock music is based on. Or you take
the 7 drop 2 off the major scale add a flattened
5th and you have the blues scale, jazz players alot
of times will play right out of one of the 7 modes of
the major scale, and maybe use different ascending
and descending minor lines, or even the whole chromatic
scale, which is the major scale showing all the 1/2 step
enharmonic intervals available.
My understanding is the Greeks came up with the 7 notes
and the 8th is a octave, the Staff and the clefs I thought
were all part of Greek history, I'd google this but I really
could care either way who started it.
I've never listened to any Israeli music, do you have any
picks you'd recomend.(Havla Naglia, that's Jewish isn't it?)

#169765 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:59 pm
Lynard Dylan wrote:My understanding is the Greeks came up with the 7 notes
and the 8th is a octave, the Staff and the clefs I thought
were all part of Greek history, I'd google this but I really
could care either way who started it.

The letters of the hebrew alphabet are also numbers and musical notation and predate the greeks but we live in a greek world.

The notation we use today may have come from the greeks, I don't know. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they invented the style/genre that the scales notate.

I wouldn't call this "rock" necessarily but this is a popular Israeli singer today in the "mizrachi" (eastern) style. This is modern, of course, but the harmonic minor 6th scales are more ancient than the nation of Greece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzMAryxZvnI
#171338 by kirbyhowarth
Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:15 am
FC Bobby wrote:culture , style and sophistication. thats the answer. :D

checkout my profile bandmix.co.uk/kirbyhowarth/

also soundcloud.com/kirbyhowarth

Get back if your interested

Cheers
Kirby

#172123 by XhaDoW-6
Fri May 04, 2012 5:53 am
EPIC THAT IS ALL

#172146 by Etu Malku
Fri May 04, 2012 2:11 pm
Music notation has been discovered on ancient Sumerian pottery, tablets from Assyria (Syria now), the Indus Valley and ancient Egypt all had musical systems in place before the Greeks were even a people.

What we did get from the Greeks were the modal names (ionian, dorian, etc.) which were the names of tribes.

On a personal note, I find the majority of post 60's Bristish music to be very uncreative in comparison to the US, and they suck at jazz (LOL)

#173131 by Lynard Dylan
Mon May 14, 2012 9:38 pm
The British Invasion, uncreative?

Come on, be real

#173205 by Etu Malku
Tue May 15, 2012 4:42 pm
Lynard Dylan wrote:The British Invasion, uncreative?

Come on, be real
If you read what I wrote "I find the majority of post 60's British music to be very uncreative in comparison to the US . . . "
Post meaning 'after' the 60's, which in turn means after the British Invasion.

#173210 by PaperDog
Tue May 15, 2012 6:18 pm
Etu Malku wrote:Music notation has been discovered on ancient Sumerian pottery, tablets from Assyria (Syria now), the Indus Valley and ancient Egypt all had musical systems in place before the Greeks were even a people.

What we did get from the Greeks were the modal names (ionian, dorian, etc.) which were the names of tribes.

On a personal note, I find the majority of post 60's Bristish music to be very uncreative in comparison to the US, and they suck at jazz (LOL)

I Just now caught this LOL! Un-creative?... Dare I say it...Haight-Ashbury was uncreative...But 60s Brits music? ..Dude, they garnered 'world' music into the genre of Rock, like nobody else did. Seriously, Without the Brits we'd still be listening to Chuck Berry, Little Richard style of music... or to our own 60's inventions like (The Cowsills, The Monkees and The Osmond Brothers ...oh..and the Carpenters)

They gave us Benny Hill, which in turn, yielded Rowan and Martin... (Not the other way around) . We had the Smothers Brothers... only because we had a Kennedy at one time and an evolving feminist movement.

They didn't stop there...70s they did it again... That was the REAL punk..the real revolution of expression... Not this made up "fashion" - rebel-without -a- cause tripe that came later in the U.S. Archie Bunker and his Crew...Norman Lear nicked that theme from a BBC series that had been airing years before...

UNCREATIVE? ...I think NAWT!

#173211 by PaperDog
Tue May 15, 2012 6:19 pm
Etu Malku wrote:
Lynard Dylan wrote:The British Invasion, uncreative?

Come on, be real
If you read what I wrote "I find the majority of post 60's British music to be very uncreative in comparison to the US . . . "
Post meaning 'after' the 60's, which in turn means after the British Invasion.

Oh! Sorry... :roll:

#178584 by Chippy
Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:39 pm
Having been all sides of that pond bar one. I have to say the the British love hearing music, but want to create their own more. In the 70's/ 80's there was a plethora of great cover bands owing to the fantastic music around at that time.
For me. I never ever wanted to be in a cover band, ever. Most people I knew were the same. I knew some great artists who were fabulous song writers and musicians. Most were not wasters since they had belief.
I asked once on a forum here in America where the 'SCENE' was?
The remarks I got in reply circumvented my original questions. The answer from the viewpoint of a Brit. Was vague to say the least.

GREAT bands in AMERICA. Sadly everyone mimics most that get airplay, hence the stale.

Regards,

Chipfryer