This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#104906 by Dekkard Bryon
Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:41 am
Hi Folks,

With so many replica LP about how can you be really sure a guitar is an authentic Gibson. It must be near impossible with the older ones because the chances of tracing its provenance are near impossible and lets face it, if they can forge whole guitar they can forge a certificate.

LP enthusiasts might say 'it's the tone, sustain - whatever' but I don't think that cuts the ice - I've played loads of LPs that were dealer genuine but were rubbish. In fact, replica LPs seem to be better quality than the real things so one might say 'well then, what does it matter, the goal being to get a nice guitar, right?'

I just wanted to see what others might have to say on the subject.

#104909 by gbheil
Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:49 am
Though I,ve heard and been around Les Paul guitars for 30 years or better I've only been playing one myself for about two years I guess.
Guitars / tone are a lot like women.
Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder.
They can also be quite fickle.

Unless your a collector for the sake of collecting I really don't think it matters.
%99 of our audiences would not know a LP from a Strat anyway.

#104915 by Dekkard Bryon
Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:43 am
sanshouheil wrote: Unless your a collector for the sake of collecting I really don't think it matters. %99 of our audiences would not know a LP from a Strat anyway.

True. I remember someone telling (1970's) they'd rather have a good Epi/Tok whatever than a bad Gibson/Fender - common sense I guess. Another chap said 'If you're going to fall in love with a guitar make sure it's a good one' so I took that advice on board, got the cash together and went Gibbo hunting. I swear I played hundreds and found three I wanted to own. Two just weren't for sale and the other was over 3k - and I'm talking 1980 £'s not 2010!

I just went off the idea after that but I'm hoping to start gigging again realised hocking my strat (1973) in and out of pubs is likely to get it trashed so I've started looking for another guitar, hence checking ebay et al.

Right now it's a toss up between a Heritage, a Tailor or a hand made one.

Having said that I'm staggered at some of the Asian guitars, Michael Kelly cost peanuts and they're lovely.

#104918 by gbheil
Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:20 am
I hear tell many of the Jap Strats are also quite in demand for their tonal quality. Also the Squire series, as you said when you find a good one.
I have a Mexican Strat with EMG's installed. But I've not played her since I bought the LP Goddess. I love that Gibson growl I get with the Carvin Nomad amp. And she is so easy to play.
Best wishes on you guitar search.

#105006 by Starfish Scott
Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:06 pm
If you take a reasonable fake Gibson and stick p-90's in it, more often than not it's a pretty nice sounding guitar.

And the ones made in China usually are pretty awful, imo.

Get it cheap and be prepared to work on it a while.