This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities of the UK.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#99624 by DanboTheManbo
Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:33 pm
Just joined today - uploaded a couple of tracks if you want to check them out.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why "Pop" isn't an option for genre - I suspect it's cos it's considered very uncool to admit to wanting to make pop music. I loath all that Simon Cowell drivel and boy bands - but i think there is a certain kind of sound that can be considered pop music which aint cack - which is what I'm trying to do. The closest genre to what i do is "electronic" - but i also write some guitar based tracks too so it doesn't quite fit.

If there are any singers out there that are interested let me know (not really interested in being a front person.). And also any producers or music tech wizards that would be interested in sharpen up my production. (i'm based in Bristol.)

Anyway, is "pop" a dirty word?

#99626 by philbymon
Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:43 pm
Depends on who you talk to. While some of us realize that the very word "pop" means popular, it has very negative connotations for many of us. Not without reason, I might add, when you consider much of the genre's "music" & its stars...eeeeeeeeeeek!

#102230 by bass117
Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm
Don't understand why pop is regarded as 'cheesy'. Surely most of the famous, greatest and best contemporary artistes music have won acclaim by their music being in the 'popular' charts and on Top of the Pops:
Metallica, Eric Clapton, Bon Jovi, Bowie, Nirvana, Muse.
So, yes people have got it totally wrong. Pop is not all about boy bands and rap.

#102244 by gbheil
Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:04 am
Comes down to copy or create IMO.
I prefer to create.
To each his own.

#102412 by philbymon
Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:06 pm
Actually, sans, while that may be the case for the one-trick pony types, the one hit wonders, it isn't the norm for any pop act that lasts.

Look at the history of pop. The masters of the past - Beatles & Stones, Boston, Grand Funk, Kansas, these acts were all pop at one time. Alice In Chains, Nirvana, Metallica, & such were also pop in thier day. You surely cannot say that these acts are not creative, or are simple copy cat acts. To be in the top 100, or top 40, or top 10 is something that most groups would aspire to if they could.

The trick is to become popular while retaining your own sound, that's all. Writing for the average Joe isn't as easy as it sounds, & it isn't all simply using "button-pushing" techniques in your songs, either. You can still be unique, creative, & true to yourself, as long as your material & presentation appeals to the masses enough to be popular.

To be "pop" simply means that you are attracting the largest audiences possible, & in a world so full of music, that is an amazing feat.

Pop isn't all formulae. It's hard to remember that when you hear the cookie-cutter fashion acts, but it's still true. Green Day, Matchbox Twenty, Coldplay & others have done it within the last 20 years. Why can't we?

#102480 by gbheil
Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:30 am
Surely you are correct Phil. There is no way I could debate those points.
I guess when I think "pop" music I automatically think of the regurgitated sound alike BS adored by millions of clueless teen girls.

I stand corrected by definition.

#102513 by RhythmMan
Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:59 am
I like a lot of pop music, myself; much of it sounds very different.
On the other hand - I don't like most metal, because most of it sounds the same - to me - distorted shredding and angry yelling . . .
I suspect that most musicians here will strongly disagree with my view; but - that's ok; it's good to have a contrast in styles.
So - yeah, it depends upon who you ask.
When I first joined, a couple years ago, the average musician here was blues or folk. There was NO metal - or no one talking about it, anyway.
But,
I think that now the average rank and file here seems to be heavy metal and hard rock, with a bit of blues now and again.

#104121 by philbymon
Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:40 pm
Danbo - sorry I missed your request for a critique in my eagerness to address the word "pop."

I'm listening to your stuff now...

"Tomorrow" is very midi-sounding to me, which makes it kinda generic in overall feel. This really does need more live instrumentation, & it seems a bit too long, for what it is. I cannot imagine vocals on it, really. It needs a stronger hook & a bridge that grabs me, imho.

"Take Me Home With You" - Again, this has a generic feel to me. The odd feedback effect is irritating to my ears. This kind of drum machine work always hits my ear badly, like those never'ending nameless dance riffs that one hears in some alternate lifestyle bars, & it's not very exciting to listen to. Your vocals aren't bad for what they are, but you need stronger material, again, imho.

#117520 by gbheil
Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:15 pm
True dat.

Generally though ( in the circle I run in anyways ) in a musical discussion the word "pop" is applied to that portion of any genre' intended to be sold like a plastic A TEAM lunchbox at Wal Mart.
And considered void of artistic merit because it follows a current trend purely for the sake of sales.

Nothing wrong with that I guess ... if you really want to be Hanna Montana.

To each his own.

For me my music is a quest. A mission if you will.
There are plenty of people whom consider that as folly as well.

#117558 by RhythmMan
Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:59 am
Sans, some people think my "Folks I Knew" is Pop.
Out of over 100 comments about the song - no one has ever felt it was a rehash of anything old, bland, or plastic.
No one thought it was part of any current trend.
And never, never has anyone ever come close to implying it was devoid of artistic merit, or a copy of someone else.
Not all pop is the same.
There's several sub-genres - of which Hanna Montana is just one.
Just like metal, I suspect, eh?

#117579 by gbheil
Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:24 pm
Yes RM
It is very subjective.

I don't consider anything I have heard you do as "pop".
Your music has soul. It's crafted, created, not manufactured
Yet I can see how your talents make your music "popular"

The question always arises;

Popular with whom ... teens, rednecks, gangbangers, bible thumpers, bikers, yuppies, hippies, gays, lesbians, surfers, goat ropers, hot rodders, bible thumping redneck rocking kung fu fighting nurses.
( gee this could go on all day )

Much as the word cool could apply or not apply to a gig being played outdoors in the sun today. :D

#119629 by Goldeneye
Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:25 pm
I think pop is distinct from rock, metal, rap etc in several ways and I don't think it's a dirty word although some people think of it as naff, cheesy etc. Pop implies a high melodic content as opposed to a high rhythmic one (so is distinct from most dance music). In short a classic pop song will be conventionally constructed i.e intro, chorus, verses, middle eight etc, be around 3:30 long, a lyric and vocal that articulates something, a tempo that moves along at 108-120 bpm in 4/4 and have a melody that you can whistle! I love performing classic pop songs: they're incredibly rewarding.

Karma Chameleon by Culture Club is a classic pop song as is Leader Of The Pack by The Shangri-Las, California Dreamin' by The Mamas and The Papas, Downtown by Petula Clark, Walk On By by Dionne Warwick....the list is endless.

Right now Lady Gaga, Katy Perry and Lily Allen not to mention the Mancunian duo Hurts are releasing decent pop songs.

#119630 by gbheil
Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:32 pm
OP-MG !! He said Culture Club ... :shock:

Dude where's my barf bag

:lol:

#119639 by Chippy
Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:12 pm
Might be here? Dunno
What I do know is that all music is listened to.
Don't give up hope.