This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#35937 by sexguitar
Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:07 am
Who do you think the overall best guitarist is?

This includes sound, experimentation, skill/speed or anything else that made thios guitarist legendary.

Tell us why and don't be afraid to cite particular albums or songs, just shy away from hatin' on other ppl or their opinions.

Thanks and keep rockin'!

#35948 by fisherman bob
Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:10 am
There is another thread on this topic. However you've added the most influential. Best and influential are two different things. Some people may consider one person to be both. In my opinion here's my top three best guitarists and top three influential guitarists:

Best guitarists: 1) Freddie King 2) Roy Buchanan 3) Joe Bonamassa

Most influential: 1) Carl Perkins 2) Robert Johnson 3) Jimi Hendrix

These choices may change weekly as I listen to truly great guitarists. Later...

#35952 by Mike Gentry
Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:10 am
I like Fisherman Bob's picks. Freddie King and Hendrix for sure. Some of my other favorites are David Gilmour, Jimmy Page, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lance Lopez, Wes Jeans, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Dimebag, Eric Clapton, John Mayer, Brad Paisley and Steve Vai but my pick for the best guitarist I've ever heard is one that not to many people think of and that is Roy Clark. He had magic in those fingers.

#35976 by gbheil
Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:38 pm
"ROY CLARK" YES. I would set in amazement and watch that man play.
Despite my Rock tendency I would attribute Roy as my main influence in guitar.

#35978 by gbheil
Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:39 pm
P.S. Mike, is Roy gone?

#36028 by jw123
Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:33 pm
For my generation I would think Ace Frehley got more people interested in guitar. Im not saying he was a great guitarist, just that he influenced a whole generation to pick up the guitar.

#36039 by Guitaranatomy
Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:23 pm
Hmm. Fascinating. JW, I would think, and I could definitely be wrong, that Van Halen held more influence over Ace Frehley, I mean I did not live then, but that is just a guess. Lol.

This Roy Clark is a good guitarist, I watched one of the videos. I will check more of his stuff out later.

In my opinion the best guitarists are Andres Segovia, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, and probably Jimmy Page.

As far as the most influential guitarists, that would be Jimi Hendrix, B.B. King, Van Halen, Tom Morello, Slash, and Zakk Wylde. These guys have people picking up guitars all over the place.

And if anyone is wondering what I did with Hammett since I am a Metallica lunatic, Lol... Hammett I think was probably one of the most influential guitarists in the metal/thrash industry. I mean sure we got Tony Iommi, but Hammett started a movement in my eyes.

Okay, those are all my opinions.

Peace out, GuitarAnatomy.

#36071 by Dadeo
Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 am
Duane Allman

#36074 by gbheil
Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:07 am
Thanks Mike! Roy is the man. Ace over Van Halen, oh yea any day Kiss was and is a GREAT SHOW. That is what made them rich. Gene anyways!
To me, in my youth, KISS was the kings of rock. I was demoralised when they split up and put out those lame assed solo albums. Being a rocker in the days of the disco disease was a hard time for many my age.
LONG LIVE ROCK!

#36109 by mistermikev
Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:51 pm
so many greats...
steve vai, chet atkins, scott henderson, joe pass, john scofield, jimi page, eddie van halen, joe satriani, yngwie malmsteen, michael hedges, eric johnson, bb king, stevie ray vaughn, jimi hendrix, albert lee, jerry donahue, ry cooder, andres segovia, al dimeola, etc, etc, etc.

#36114 by Rick Stringfellow
Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:52 pm
Most the guitar greats have been named. But while I was racking my brain for someone who hadn't, I remembered a kid I heard in Houston in the late 70's, named Kenny Cordray. I'd always wondered if he made it, because I never heard any more about him, but I just Googled his name and evidently he did. I haven't finished reading his bio yet, so I'm not sure who he's playing with, but please go see this guy if you get the chance. He's one of the greatest improvisational guitarists I've ever seen. Are any on this forum familiar with him?

#36149 by Kramerguy
Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:35 pm
I can only speak about the guitarist who influenced me the most:

Alex Lifeson.

All the Page's, Hendrix's, and Malmsteen's are a distant second.
#36162 by Pugfriend
Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:46 pm
Jimi Hendrix, Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughan.

#36224 by Hayden King
Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:11 am
most influence: Jimi, Eddy, Chet Adkins
best: Jimi,Roy, Chet, Tommy Emannuelle, stanley jordan