This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Which instrument is least often played?

4%
22%
7%
15%
52%

#155487 by seekingsophia
Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:16 am
Curses! Zelda, I just checked out your account because I was board and curious because you sound like what we are looking for. We have no singer, you'd be the oldest but only by two years, I've been wanting to add keys into our songs but none of us can play, and you write lyrics which we have a hard time doing. Too bad we live so far away.

#166102 by ktel60
Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:37 am
What Pete said. Most bassists double, and the bass is rather boring to play. OTOH, gigs are easy to find - supply and demand sort of thing.

#168155 by Daniel Towsley
Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:40 am
Well to just mention some things. This is not based on band experience, rather constant observation and exposure to music. In that a band will often go nowhere without a good vocalist. With a average vocalist, a band just sounds like a dime a dozen band. And industries want something a bit more than a dime a dozen. They want a fresh, explosive voice that has a great impact (unique). You can teach yourself a instrument and become better at it. However, a voice can be focused better but will never be more than what it is by right. It is like the observation between concepts of intelligence and knowledge. Though in place its instrument vs vocals. And you can say no all you like to the following. A great vocalist will make even a shitty band sound better. A great vocalist will make a great band even greater. A great guitarist can't make a shitty band better. Nor can a great drummer. That right is unique to that of a vocalist. If you don't have a unique vocalist its to be expected you won't go very far. That's the thing I find funny, people want to be discovered etc. Yet all they play is the dime a dozen band concepts to death. I just sing in my spare time .. not something to make a living or be in a band. I do highly enjoy it, but even to me my voice sounds one of the common types. One thing I do shine at is I do art and design and marketing. I could sell a balloon to someone that doesn't even want a balloon. =)

#168261 by Synthetic Intelligence
Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:21 pm
I agree with the comment about the singer. Our band is looking for a good singer for a rock band. If you are a vocalist in the MD area then drop me a line. Thanks.

Mike
#169335 by guitar__junkie
Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:39 pm
Having the same problem here in Baltimore. VERY tough to find talented musicians with gigging experience that are interested in committing to a band. The toughest to find is a good front man. Bass players are the next toughest. Not many people out there...

The other things about this area is that not many places book live music anymore, and I think a lot of good musicians have called it quits since it's tough to book gigs.

So... anyone looking for an experienced lead guitar, drop me a line.

Mike

#169344 by Sallis
Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:33 pm
I would sing or scream for ya but there's i location difficulty. i have been singing for about 5 years, baritone voice and a whole lot of lyrics already written. looking for some people in the TX area too see about singing or at least writing for someone my lyrics are good and i can make anywhere from country lyrics to death metal, including rap and rock and all that jazz, i have been writing for about 8 years consistantly.

#170644 by Pytt
Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:20 pm
I've played bass over 10 years now (not as long as some I know) but one thing i've found is that for me it's seems pretty easy to get into almost any band I want just for the fact I play one.
I think for some bands or musician's it's hard to find a full fledged committed bass player for a few reasons.

1. you have to display modesty. This is a hard thing for a beginning bass player to grasp. You automaticly want to slap like victor,have the speed and charisma of Jocko or Flea,and have the musicianship of someone say,like Kai Echardt once you start playing seriously. I remember when I was in my first cover band I got so bored of playing Brain Stew I started slapping like crazy and adding in all sort of stuff that at times probably ruined the song. Like a great boxer you gotta know when to pick your shots. Which leads me to my next point-

2. It's easy for someone,even the casual going,cover band loving a beer in each hand party goer to remember a great lead,but how many of those people that go to see your band or just happen to be in the bar that night are going to know a great bass line when they hear it?
Probably not many but then again if your not playing those great bass lines chances are they're going to notice. Case in point: I played for a country cover band for a few months.
All the guys where great. Really down to earth and easy to get along with. For about the first month or so I was just playing out of a small crate practice amp. Then one night I lugged my ampeg out. Half way through practice one of the guitar players (We had 4 in total so you could imagine the bass getting buried in all that even with classic country) stopped and said, ?You know what guys we sound fuller than ever. Where really getting to sound good.? Etc,etc. They all agreed and despite their years of playing not one of them mentioned the fact I was playing out of a much better amp. Maybe you could call it gloating,but I knew the real reason. :)
That's one of the tough realities about the bass. A lot of people don't know what you're doing or can even hear you through the mix,but all the same that makes a great bass line that stands out (at times) much more memorable than your run of the mill leads.
Maybe I come across high on bass but then again I love it!

#171188 by MJ Luke
Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:25 am
Pytt... I think you're right on. Iv'e been a bassist for over twenty years now...I've played in just about every kind of genre band except maybe polka and reggae (I'd LOVE to play in a reggae band tho). Most young bassists (including myself back in the day) wanna be the next virtuoso...which can really get on the lead guitarists last nerve neh? The problem may be that once a bassist matures he/she becomes a commodity in the musical community and is thus unavailable (hence the problem of finding a good bassist) and all you're really left with to choose from are the younger show boats who just need a little time to find their groove. Plus most people don't wanna play the bass... personaly, I've ALWAYS wanted to play the bass and think it's the sexiest instrument ever... nothing is sexier than a chick on bass...

#171352 by SirenRose
Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:13 am
for me it's almost.it's always easy to find vocals and guitar but never bass and drums
#173852 by DianeS
Mon May 21, 2012 1:57 am
In Iowa they all seem to want "just a bass player" but no singing-and I'm a singer that plays bass

#173853 by MrGlambert
Mon May 21, 2012 2:03 am
In Baton Rouge, nobody seems to be interested in keyboard players who play pop and soft rock covers. Most want to rock hard and are looking for bass players, guitar players, and drummers.

#173871 by Starfish Scott
Mon May 21, 2012 2:40 pm
People want a great bassist who is either a great back up singer or silent.

Any other variation can cause "artistic hostility". lol

Oh and then even if said bassist meets all requirements, there is the payment issue.

(He wants your first born male child) lol

#174129 by MJ Luke
Fri May 25, 2012 11:53 pm
obeythepenguin wrote:
Chief Engineer Scott wrote:Oh and then even if said bassist meets all requirements, there is the payment issue.

(He wants your first born male child) lol

Hey now... I'd settle for a bar tab and gas money...oh...er wait you said IF the bassist meets all requirements... sorry my bad!