This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Which instrument is least often played?

4%
22%
7%
15%
52%

#111956 by Tronix
Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 am
I play bass, and I sing. We're out here, you just have to keep looking.

#111964 by Krul
Wed May 19, 2010 6:47 am
Quick! Get some rope and duct tape to bind up Tronix and send him to me in CA. I'll pay you everything $$$ I have. Grab my bass player.

#112011 by FunkDealer
Wed May 19, 2010 7:31 pm
I never have any problem finding a bassist and singer....... :wink:

#113551 by Lord_Hearteater
Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:23 am
Bassists come in 2 essential flavors:

The Dabblers: Maybe picked up the instrument to try to be cool, or be in a friend's band, and have just enough ability to fake their way through. Many egomaniacal guitar players like this species, because they feel that they can control the bassist. This species generally lacks theory training, and treats playing as the hobby that it is. They think that they are better than they are, and are easily shown up when you ask them to improvise.

The Pros: Usually in multiple bands, this species makes all but the most versatile of guitar players nervous, and can play just about anything anywhere at any time, or at least get to that point with minimal time and work. I get told that I fit in as a specimen here quite frequently, though I never bothered to learn Jaco licks (which only other musicians want to hear anyway, and they are usually not the ones paying for the performance).

There are subspecies to the above; those who can actually sing, and those who do not. A dabbler who can sing, and can stay within himself as a player might find the right band, and make some decent money. A pro who does not sing can also do likewise, but a pro who can sing is pure gold. Not many folks realize it, but, as a rule, it is much harder to play a bass line that truly grooves and sing lead vocals simultaneously than it is to play grooving guitar chords and sing well. Of course, some songs are exceptions to the rule.

It's summer slow time in PHX; too damned hot, and I don't mind having the extra time to myself.

#118178 by Fithmir
Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:49 pm
im a bassist, its not all that hard to find one of us if you just look, and maybe use some bait, like a Fender P-bass. (drools)

#121285 by VocalsBass
Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:23 pm
I think its always better to at least try to develope and adapt backup vocals no matter what instrument you play, and lead vocals if you are able to stay in key, you dont always have to be the greatest lead vocalist at versatility, etc. in order to cover a couple of songs at lead vocals.
Musicians that have good developed backup vocals have always seemed to be the hardest thing for me to find when looking for potential band members, holding auditions, or whatever.
You just have to make it happen! I just did lead vocals for years, and one day after playing bass for around three years or so, I realized that I enjoyed playing bass more than I did singing vocals anyday, but what do ya do.., Im into my six-string electric Takamine right now, having all kinds of fun! playing acoustic rythm.
..and Vocals.. :wink:

#121287 by Bass4worship
Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:50 pm
I play bass and it the other way in NYC, I have two groups and they both suffer from no guitar players. I been posting for years only got one to come out, now he back to working nights so he gone. Someone tell me where to find "Guitarist are a dime a dozen" at.

#121292 by Crip2nite
Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:06 pm
...cause everyone wants to be a lead guitarist? or Drummers aren't really musicians? :twisted: Uh-oh... Did I just open up a can of whoop-ass?

#122394 by gbheil
Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 pm
You could start with posting some examples of your work Harumi.

#122434 by gbheil
Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:03 pm
It's up to you really what quality of recordings your willing to post here.
I have no qualms about posting practice sets here.
For me this is more of a musicians sounding board.
It's a place to learn and grow both in talent and technique of music and the production side.
Very knowledgeable people lurk these waters.
But it's a tough love environment.
If your not prepared for honest critique ...
Well you get my drift.

#122508 by Chaeya
Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:54 pm
Harumi, take your time, sweets, really. I remember at your age I was working my tail off and every dime went into recording. It's worth it to have a good recording. If you're just looking for work, sing accapella. Borrow a friend's video cam (you can get them under $100 now) and record yourself. That way people can see what you look like and hear you. Trust me, if they're professional, they should know whether or not you could work on their project.

Chaeya

#122552 by Starfish Scott
Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:18 pm
LOL " Looking for someone to do all that technikaaalll stuff for me"?

You better learn to do it yourself, else you'll find out why.