This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Which instrument is least often played?

4%
22%
7%
15%
52%
#144921 by Lillyallensgir
Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:54 am
Sing like Amy Lee, Sharon den Adel....

contact me...

I'll sing whatever you want. :) [/b]

#145000 by Krul
Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:32 am
Drawing On Scars wrote:I've been looking for VOX for years now. I get tons of commitments from talented vocalists but never any material. I don't get it!

Neither do I. All I have from vocalists so far are potential band members. This vocalist I'm talking to now hasn't been able to meet up yet. Everybody else who sang just decided to stop following up. I've been on the hunt since Jan. 2010.

As far as material, well, fortunately I write lyrics too. It's just getting someone to show up that's the problem. :?

#145350 by JeffR9
Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:41 pm
We are out there. Keep looking.
#146221 by Singer Seeking Band
Sun May 08, 2011 1:27 am
I'm a singer/song writer 4 1/2 Octave range black male attended music school been singing my entire life stage and studio trained. But since I'm in the south I get "You don't look like our fan base or you don't match our style. But vocally you blew everyone else away." Hell I could change my look over time. So I got sick of it and I'm forming my own band. :D I've had bands sh*t bricks when they found out I was black in person. >.< Maybe I should move out of the south. HaHa
#146224 by Crip2nite
Sun May 08, 2011 10:30 am
GTX wrote:I'm a singer/song writer 4 1/2 Octave range black male attended music school been singing my entire life stage and studio trained. But since I'm in the south I get "You don't look like our fan base or you don't match our style. But vocally you blew everyone else away." Hell I could change my look over time. So I got sick of it and I'm forming my own band. :D I've had bands sh*t bricks when they found out I was black in person. >.< Maybe I should move out of the south. HaHa

Well..put up some music and let us all be da judge of that :wink:
#146227 by Krul
Sun May 08, 2011 10:57 am
GTX wrote:I'm a singer/song writer 4 1/2 Octave range black male attended music school been singing my entire life stage and studio trained. But since I'm in the south I get "You don't look like our fan base or you don't match our style. But vocally you blew everyone else away." Hell I could change my look over time. So I got sick of it and I'm forming my own band. :D I've had bands sh*t bricks when they found out I was black in person. >.< Maybe I should move out of the south. HaHa

Just goes to show you how behind society really is with all these ongoing stereotypes.
#146235 by gbheil
Sun May 08, 2011 1:46 pm

I think you'll find that stereo type is prevalent in more than just the "south".
The south gets a bad rap from the damn yankees and the limp wrists from the west coast ... for a large part it's bullshit.

I'm as truck driven pistol totin redneck as they come.
I have Kung Fu brothers co workers & friends that I dearly love, and have had " blacks " sit in with my band ...

Any man proves he is honorable I got his back ... any time any place.
If a person is a piece of sh*t ... he's a piece of sh*t.
No matter his color.

Lots of us southern good ol boys feel the same.
#146264 by PaperDog
Sun May 08, 2011 7:38 pm
The fact of the matter is...'Most' unsigned, undiscovered American Musicians are missing a few key ingredients, which prevent them from becoming successful:

1) The concept of "entertainment' . Most self proclaimed musicians really are in it for personal glory, when in fact they should be focused on how to please an audience (for their glory) . Most important, is the factor of flexibility and multiple skills to bear more than one instrument, to sing, to dance , what ever it takes to get me to pull 10 bucks out of my pocket to see you in a club. As it is, most self proclaimed musicians lack the ability to resonate with the audience.

2) The assumption that doing covers is the ticket to success. Its really not. Some folks could argue that every successful band, did at least one good cover to prove themselves. That's true... But doing covers for a living, just puts you right in there with Ricky Ricardo. Your life is summed up like this: "Oh Lucy!...I'm Home!"
While its a good living (if you can get paid steadily, ) You really aren't ever gonna amount to a hill of sh*t in terms of Art. Not saying what you do is bad... Just saying that if you can do Eric Clapton even better than Eric Clapton, guess who still gets the credit for Eric Clapton songs? Consider this: When the Beatles played in Hamburg, they did 15 hour days 7/7 days. The first hour was old standard covers, the rest of the night was Ad -hoc improvisation...They got really good at composing on the fly. (And here you thought they just woke up one day as the Beatles)

3) The assumption that Music sells based on its "feel" and "art worthiness'. is the biggest crock of sh*t and self-sabotaging lie a musician can tell him/her self. Here's a clue, the "art" really comes AFTER they've bought your records & CDs. The reality is this: Your songs need to convince me to perform a life altering behavior. In particular, compel me to buy some product, that happens to pay radio stations the money to play your song. Your song has to compel me to stay tuned in, long enough for a vendor to shout out his advertisement of product/service. You song lures me to stick around. The minute your song fails... I'm outta there, station surfing..and the paying vendors exposure goes down the toilet...as a wasted investment of cash.

Now, to the point... Why its hard to keep a band together... Simply put, most members are NEVER on the same page with the same goals (And that's a guaranteed death sentence to any subsequent efforts) When they think they are on the same page...they STILL aren't really there. There really is one hard fast rule that ensures your success as a band: All members must commit to the effort and cause as though it is the first, last and in between thing they will ever do for the rest of their lives. That's how you create bands like Beatles, Zeppelin... and so on.

Ok I'm done ranting or pontificating...

#146431 by MikeTalbot
Thu May 12, 2011 12:09 am
Paperdog

You have so nailed it. If you want to make it - you forget everything else and you do that. Only that and you do it all the time.

I hear folks say, well, I play as well as those jerks in such and such a band. Perhaps you do. But they are playing for real, and you are watching tv with a big dumb smile on your face.

Talbot

#146501 by Arkayem_x
Fri May 13, 2011 6:11 pm
This is something that I wanted to know for the longest.

#146654 by ChaosZen
Mon May 16, 2011 2:05 pm
I think it's just a regional thing. Here in Fayettenam (Fayetteville, NC), we've got the bass, but it's drummers that we seem to be short on.

#146934 by OfficialWitte
Sat May 21, 2011 6:28 pm
I am a bass player, it is the instrument I chose to learn. I know we might not get the attention that a lead guitarist, or singer get, but I love to be able to get out there and be the support behind the music, because without a great baseline, or any baseline for that matter, the music just doesn't sound right.

#146997 by WillingToRelocate
Sun May 22, 2011 6:36 pm
Looking to relocate by the end of Summer 2011 for a touring project. Heads up and great reading all of these posts so far...especially PaperDog's...