This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Which instrument is least often played?

4%
22%
7%
15%
52%

#181136 by Planetguy
Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:16 pm
Dreamsinger wrote:Why is it hard to find a bass player? As a bass player who routinely turns down invites to play perhaps I can give a little insight. These days good bass gear isn't cheap and putting gas in a vehicle big enough to transport it isn't cheap either. Apparently few people want to indulge their rock & roll fantasy by investing $6000+ in basses and an amp. That's really the only obstacle.

i don't really see that as a problem or an accurate assessment of necessary gear. i'm lucky to have some VERY nice basses that i do take out to gigs regularly. but one of the basses i usually gig w is a WASBURN XB600 6 string. bought new for $500. (GREAT bass!) i play that thru an inexpensive import ASHDOWN Blue 180 combo that i bought new for $325.

at the risk of bragging (honest i'm not!) i get compliments all the time on my tone.

my point being yes, you can spend $6000 on a boutique bass and high dollar rig.....but it sure ain't a requirement.

now as to those gas prices......damn, that's anutha story!

#181192 by MikeTalbot
Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:44 am
Penguin

I've been using a 5 string Hohner but lately I've been pining for a P-bass.

i remember playing a Mex Job it was great - felt like a 50s neck. When I went back to buy it, they'd sold it and got a new one. It sucked.

The Mexican instruments seem to vary widely in quality which is probably an unfair statement based only upon anecdotal evidence.

What is you point of view? I want one but playability is the primary concern. Maple neck too. Should I just buy one and assume that a good setup with deal with the playability factor?

Aslo - have you added pickups or pre amps etc? the ones I played in a music store sounded fine but you never know. I'm looking for that deep bass sound precision basses make without sounding muddy.

cheers
Talbot

#181330 by MikeTalbot
Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:01 am
Thanks Penguin. That's just wanted I wanted to know. Good sound too.

cheers
Talbot