This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

Which instrument is least often played?

4%
22%
7%
15%
52%

#38035 by Andragon
Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:58 am
Yes, definitely. If you play originals, make em so that there are different solos for each instrument on your set list. If you play covers, well, pick songs that have that already.
Don't let a musician get bored on stage.

Side note: Phil, if that's you in the pic, you have no right to complain bout your weight :lol:
It's not as bad as you describe it, man. :lol:

#38094 by Starfish Scott
Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm
slapping and popping = bad, unless you like that genre.

playing with pick guitar/or bass = good

Being able to play most anything semi-proficiently = priceless

It's called "taking one for the team" and good players do it to promote an otherwise unacceptable line up of buffoons.

Too many faqing newbs picking up an electric or acoustic guitar and proclaiming to the world they are now guitarists, while struggling to play "Mary had a little lamb."

Don't make me smash that guitar over your head, bub. lol I'd enjoy it.

#38698 by wildcountryband
Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:50 pm
:D I am a Bass player, I also use a pick and my fingers, depends on what the song is and what sound I am looking for. If everyone were the same as far as playing where would we be? Music would never change and everyone would sound the same. While I do try to play like the song I do change things some, Oh by the way, I am also the lead singer in the band.

We are out here just few and far between.

Kenny "The Show" Derr

#38740 by Starfish Scott
Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:46 pm
That HERMAN MUNSTER guy in Type O negative also sings and plays bass. lol

Peter Steele

#39515 by DrunkPunk
Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:29 am
I play bass and sing as well. Where I am, it seems all we have is wanna-be guitar players, half-assed singers, bass players who only want to play guitar now, no drummers and very little real talent. Had to teach myself to play guitar and skins just to get some music done. :roll:

#39780 by gtZip
Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:06 pm
DrunkPunk:
Move out of Bozeman. Go West or Southwest. Save your sanity! :)

#39872 by DrunkPunk
Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:09 am
gtZip wrote:DrunkPunk:
Move out of Bozeman. Go West or Southwest. Save your sanity! :)

Nah, I lost any sanity I had a long time ago. I'm better for it, I believe. ;)
#40090 by luminationmusic
Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:49 am
I do play guitars, keys, and drums when it calls for it, but I am mainly bassist and vocals. It is not so much as to finding a vocals/bass; it is the type of music bassists love to play which determines the type of band we like to play in.
#41346 by Garry Harper
Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:23 pm
I have been looking for a serious TOURING or at least WORKING BAND for a long time. So my question is.... where are the posts that are looking for a bass player? Its either...we play to party OR we party to play...

Any help or word of mouth would be greatly appreciated my friends

#43294 by Bassman Rob
Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:56 pm
I'm with you GHarper. I live in ATL and have been touring for years, but all of a sudden.... nothing. Where are the posts for people looking for us?
I play bass and sing. I have for 20 years. I love the pocket and that is where real bass players and guitar converts diverge. The convert just can't stand staying in the pocket. While a bass player knows it's need to be there. Perhaps that is why there are fewer bass players? :shock:

#109977 by Sundays Man
Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:59 am
HDBP, I'm in the Atl area too. We are having one heck of a time picking up the "right" bass player. As many have said in the previous posts; it's hard to find one. I think the problem is that if a guy/gal is a genuinely good bass player, they can pick and choose who they play with. You can have a mediocre drummer, and maybe even a mediocre lead, but you dang sure better have a jam up bass and vox or you will crash and burn. I think for that reason, good bass players and vocalists are hard to find.

#110829 by JimK2
Fri May 07, 2010 3:29 am
It's weird....I can find all the guitar players and singers a band could ever want. And there's a bass player or two around. But it's drummers that are scarce as the proverbial hen's teeth around Lawrence, KS. Heck, I even found a steel guitar player who's interested. But darned if I can find a drummer.

#110963 by Krul
Sat May 08, 2010 10:32 pm
If you can find a good bassist, you should kidnap him/her. It's a pain in the ass finding one!

#111139 by improvgrooves
Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 pm
AirViking wrote:
Also, this is more advice from a bassist. :)
Never have a bassist that plays with a pick, once again yout band will be limited becuase of it.

This is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read.. Two of the most original bass players of all time use a pick(Phil Lesh/Mike Gordon). Tons of great players toss in a pick..

A better tip would be don't hire a ignorant bass player who only plays bass one way.. To be a master of your instrument he should be able to slap, pick, pluck, finger, and funk it up.

#111953 by Sundays Man
Tue May 18, 2010 11:27 pm
improvgrooves, even though I tend to agree, you need to come out of your shell and say what you really think. Quit holding back man!!