This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#145765 by RGMixProject
Sun May 01, 2011 5:58 pm
philbymon wrote:I have a friend who uses one...dunno what brand...I'll ask him when I see him.

The secret to the best use, imo, is to keep the volume down a bit...remember, it's only backups...when ppl turn it up too high they DO sound fake & icky.

if anything cool I can say about one is, if you have kids or grand kids you can get them rolling on the floor laughing with the chipmunk voice... and that your can't put a price on. :D

other than that, they are kind of distracting because you will see people looking for the other singers and when the other band members arn't singing you will be accusec of lip sinking

#145767 by gbheil
Sun May 01, 2011 6:04 pm
RGMixProject wrote:
philbymon wrote:I have a friend who uses one...dunno what brand...I'll ask him when I see him.

The secret to the best use, imo, is to keep the volume down a bit...remember, it's only backups...when ppl turn it up too high they DO sound fake & icky.

if anything cool I can say about one is, if you have kids or grand kids you can get them rolling on the floor laughing with the chipmunk voice... and that your can't put a price on. :D

other than that, they are kind of distracting because you will see people looking for the other singers and when the other band members arn't singing you will be accusec of lip sinking

:lol:
The "robot" voice on Rays unit is hilarious ...

We have too much fun. It's a wonder we accomplish anything at all. 8)

#145780 by drag57
Sun May 01, 2011 11:13 pm
sanshouheil said a harmonizer should be seen as a way to thicken one`s voice.yes that`s a good way of looking at it,well said.

#146793 by KLUGMO
Wed May 18, 2011 6:52 pm
Sue, I am more impressed with your vocals than any I have heard on
BM. You have natural timeing and tone. You sing in your appropriate key.
Nothing is forced and the variences in your rendition are spot on.
I want to hear more. You have real talent. You make it sound easy and
that aint easy. [/b]
#150180 by Karenslc
Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:13 pm
GHopson wrote:Hey everyone,

I have just hired on to a new band as their front guy .... problem is ... even though they are great musicians ... (Most) of them can't harmonize worth a &^%^&%. They are asking me to look into a "Vocal Harmonizer"... what exactly should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Gary

The TC Helicon live 3 is nice. Bands use effects pedals with guitars all the time, this is just the same thing for voice. It is no different than what a PA does when you add reverb. For harmonies, you really need to run your guitar through the box - otherwise forget it. If you just want chorus, this isn't necessary.
#150188 by PaperDog
Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:00 pm
GHopson wrote:Hey everyone,

I have just hired on to a new band as their front guy .... problem is ... even though they are great musicians ... (Most) of them can't harmonize worth a &^%^&%. They are asking me to look into a "Vocal Harmonizer"... what exactly should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Gary

They can really sound fake and ugly... For the same effort it takes to optimize the harmonizers, consider:

If you have a keyboardist,
1) In Studio.. Lay down your harmonies via YOUR voice>
2) Sample/clip the recordings, and upload to your keyboard.
3) During gigs, sync them in .

Your band will love you for it. It will buy them time to practice the harmonies (and they'll have in the training-wheels. so to speak. for that.)
The audience will forgive, ...(if the harmonies resonate well in the song)

Just my opinion
#150341 by Doctor Pangloss
Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:49 pm
Wolf755 wrote:Try getting the harmony-challenged members of your new band to get out and listen to other harmony signers, instead of falling back onto technology.

Technology RULES! Without technology, you would be flapping a blanket over a fire and hoping the wind doesn't blow your message away.

#153887 by darrylks
Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:06 pm
That TC Telicom is the best. Although I got the harmonizer 2 (smaller unit) I love it. If you doing country music it should be perfict. Check out the YouTube demos.

#154460 by holdsg
Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:24 am
I'm all for using technology, and the cover band I am in uses the TC Helicon vocalizer because none of us other than our lead singer can really sing backup. BUT, and this is a big BUTT, when you are performing live, you have to remember to hit the footswitch when you're talking to the crowd. Nothing worse than getting the "daffy duck" voice when you don't want it. It's happened more times than I want to remember.

#154469 by Jahva
Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:52 am
holdsg wrote: BUT, and this is a big BUTT, when you are performing live, you have to remember to hit the footswitch when you're talking to the crowd. Nothing worse than getting the "daffy duck" voice when you don't want it. It's happened more times than I want to remember.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#154582 by blues edge
Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:17 pm
anyone in pearl handle go to southern ILL 1973-75 ? I knew a bass player whos band had that name years ago.