This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#26962 by GHopson
Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:34 am
Hey everyone,

I have just hired on to a new band as their front guy .... problem is ... even though they are great musicians ... (Most) of them can't harmonize worth a &^%^&%. They are asking me to look into a "Vocal Harmonizer"... what exactly should I be looking for?

Thanks,
Gary
Last edited by GHopson on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

#27004 by philbymon
Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:04 pm
I have a friend who uses one...dunno what brand...I'll ask him when I see him.

The secret to the best use, imo, is to keep the volume down a bit...remember, it's only backups...when ppl turn it up too high they DO sound fake & icky.

#27007 by HowlinJ
Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:20 pm
GHopson,

Just to plane ol' complicated to me.

I've mastered the use of many complex machines in my day, from heavy industry to playin' loud music.

My advice.

"Keep It Simple"

Keep working on your voice to correct or adapt your current physical problems. The legendary Country singer Mell Tillis learned to overcome a sever speech impediment. Don't rely on gimmicks.
Use your tools wisely,
Howlin'

P.S.
After you are firmly established in your new group, It may be wise to stress the importence of backup vocals to your music. It could be that THEY could be coached to acceptable levels of performance. I'm doing just that with my drummer and bass playing son in my new band. Works for me.
#30724 by Quanah1953
Mon May 05, 2008 12:55 pm
If you get one, better stick with TC Electronic or if you really wanna go high end, then Eventide.

#134339 by KLUGMO
Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:42 pm
TC Helicon live 2.

Hows your nose?

#134345 by RGMixProject
Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:15 pm
KLUGMO wrote:TC Helicon live 2.

Hows your nose?

Ghopson posted this question on 31 March 2008

Last responce was on 5 May 2008

Ghopson has not been active here for over a month.

OK Bandmix....find this guy and get him back here.

Thanks In Advance

The PM's must be flyin' hot and heavy huh?

#134371 by RhythmMan
Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:15 pm
"Vocal Harmonizers?
Jeeez . . .
Why don't you just learn to SING, instead?
Jesus . . .

#134374 by Mike Nobody
Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:32 pm
KLUGMO wrote:TC Helicon live 2.

Hows your nose?

I know, I know, it was a little...out of the ordinary, to bump so many old threads. But, there wasn't much happening except vitriolic crap in some recent ones. Those needed to get buried. It was just fanning the flames of unrest around here. Besides, some of these older threads seemed worth discussing again, especially for newer arrivals.

#134375 by philbymon
Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:34 pm
Yeah, it bugs me when technology replaces actual practice & commitment to one's craft, as well, RM.

Then I think about my dad, the purist, who thought that using a sampled instrument that you actually PLAY on a keyboard was bad, & I can see both sides of this issue.

The band has limitations, for sure, but they seem to be trying to work around them.

Imho, it would be better, & more honest, to write/find material for a single vocalist, if this is their problem, though, rather than to go the "cheating route." Just my opinion, mind you.

#138197 by KLUGMO
Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:18 pm
We're talking about a Harmonizer right?
That's behind you not instead of you.

#138200 by Hayden King
Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:28 pm
lets find an easy way out... like fakin it :roll:

#138251 by RhythmMan
Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 am
Hayden said: "lets find an easy way out... like fakin it"
Or - you could look for a real singer . . . or they could actually (gasp) practice . . .
Oh-oh, I acrually said it: the "p" word . . .

#138425 by Barry Wilson
Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:59 am
I am playing with a voice live touch now. I am a decent a singer and understand harmonies just fine. I actually feel music needs them and is a lost art. I jammed with the guys I play with a few times... lead guitarist is great but you can't stick a mic near him, and the drummer is willing to try but just starting to sing, and we really have to spend time on parts so he sings a harmony and not what I am singing. I decided to look into these things and found the harmonies very rich and alterable.

you have to run a signla in from guitar, bass, keyboard, or audio like mp3 (never even tried this) or you can actually play what the harmonies should be on a midi instrument. up to 4 part harmonies, lots of mixing to change and has now become a usb hub for me to do some recording. guitar out bypasses the sounds and sends to an amp or just in mixes the signal and you can add delay, rever, chorus... no overdrives and such.

it mounts on the mic stand so easy access. I ordered the foot switch which just came in so get to play with that some. it's another fx, like the gr-20 or the gu1 I play with to me. something to alter the original signal to get something out that is desired.

it opens up a lot of possibilities. I'm jamming fat bottom girls out and it's a fun tune. I don't use auto correct or pitch correct crap, if I sing out of key you definately hear it LOL

#138447 by Hayden King
Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 am
way to justify cheating, laziness, and delivering a fake product. Did you ever notice that music is an "art" or were you just looking for a trade? :roll: