This is a MUSIC forum. Irrelevant or disrespectful posts/topics will be removed by Admin. Please report any forum spam or inappropriate posts HERE.

Topics specific to the localities in America.

Moderators: bandmixmod1, jimmy990, spikedace

#289096 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:01 am
Seth J wrote:try getting booked with all originals,......never happen.

Those are different careers. One is "musician" and the other is "recording artist".

Been writing/performing original material since 1975 ("oooh, I'm a rebel just for kicks, yea") and full-time recording artist for the last 18 years, performing mostly as a solo acoustic. Hire a band for special occasions, sometimes. Until 2016 I had never recorded a song in 12 albums that I didn't at least co-write

It's the only way to fly, in my opinion, but I do like hiking long distances just for the view. In the long run we remember those who wrote. They changed the world. I'm reaching for the brass ring whether I get it or not.

For the retired accountant, or the serious hobbyist/weekend warriors, cover songs are the quickest way to experiencing the magic of a well-crafted song (with some cash flow) until replacing another musician distrupts that. Instantly, people clap for work you didn't create as long as you can do a decent rendition!

Try doing that with your own music for a living. If it were easy, everyone would. I say let them cover what you write, brother. Rock on.

8)

Last edited by t-Roy and The Smoking Section on Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
#289097 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:16 am
Seth J wrote:Original wont get booked around here. You can only sneak in a few originals while playing covers. Truth is, nobody is really as interested as you think in your originals. Thats no being ugly, thats just the cold hard truth. WE as musicians think our stuff is great,..but honestly,..99% of the listening audience in a club setting could give a crap about our originals. Just the way the biz is. Now once you get fairly large and well know playing some 2000 seater good venues,..you might get a better audience. But a band thats just getting together, trying to do originals,...doomed to failure. At least thats been my experience in 30 years of playing clubs.

A band that stays local is doomed to failure, and really every band is going to end someday anyway. If they are excellent performers, there is an audience for them and it's only a matter of finding and going to it; original or not, assuming there is a good songwriter in the band.

Morgeld mentioned doing covers within an original set, as opposed to vice versa, and that's important for the average listener to have something to gauge your ability by....as long as you perform it as good or better than the original artist.

#289102 by schmedidiah
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:20 am
I'm an original artist and my music sucks, just ask the butthurt experts on this forum! :lol:
#289124 by Mordgeld
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:20 pm
yod wrote:...Morgeld mentioned doing covers within an original set, as opposed to vice versa, and that's important for the average listener to have something to gauge your ability by....as long as you perform it as good or better than the original artist.

Yes. I might add that it builds a bridge to folks that share your vibe in music. I like it when a band takes a cover and owns it with their sound as opposed to making it sound exactly like the original. That gives more of a sense of a band with their own sound doing a cover rather than just a cover band with no self-identity. So while the 'as good or better' thing can be a little subjective, one would still need demonstrate a competent interpretation of the song within your genre.
#289125 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:29 pm
schmedidiah wrote:I'm an original artist and my music sucks,

That's what the critics said about Led Zepplin....

Being "original" means you're different than what came before. People HATE change, many people hate "different".

Do it anyway. I find that most people don't even know what they like until they hear it.

#289132 by Mordgeld
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:59 pm
yod wrote:
schmedidiah wrote:I'm an original artist and my music sucks,

That's what the critics said about Led Zepplin....

Being "original" means you're different than what came before. People HATE change, many people hate "different".

Do it anyway. I find that most people don't even know what they like until they hear it.

Not to pick at nits, but isn't there some question as to how original Led Zepplin actually was?
#289155 by Vampier
Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:27 pm
Yes Mordgeld ... absolutely.
#289168 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:28 pm
Mordgeld wrote:
Not to pick at nits, but isn't there some question as to how original Led Zepplin actually was?

Good point, but you did say that re-doing a cover in a different style shows originality. Broke my heart when I found out that they stole half of what they released.
#289174 by schmedidiah
Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:28 am
That's why I prefer Led Zep from Houses Of The Holy forward. Very creative and original prog rock compared to the mostly blues and folk stuff on the first 4.
#289191 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:04 pm
schmedidiah wrote:That's why I prefer Led Zep from Houses Of The Holy forward. Very creative and original prog rock compared to the mostly blues and folk stuff on the first 4.

oh please....don't tell you are the person who liked "In Through The Out Door" and Coda? Those were so lame compared to Physical Graffiti and what came before.

We really can't (or shouldn't) compare songs/bands/musicians by what came after. When those first few albums came out there was NOTHING like them anywhere. Head and shoulders above the nearest competitor...but Houses of the Holy was their last GREAT album. After that they were comparable to Hair Farmers coming out of California glam...and didn't fare as well. There were singers with better voices and hair than Plant, guitarists who were faster and cleaner than Page and Terry Bozia existed.

John Paul Jones is still in his own league but the world caught up with Led Zep in the mid 80s

#289192 by schmedidiah
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:18 pm
Yeah. I'm younger than you. Got into LZ as an entire catalogue that already existed and was gathering dust. Hair metal? Don't care. More talented players? Meh. I'd agree Houses Of The Holy is the last one that's a decent listen all the way through, but there's incredible material on the next 4 and that's my criteria.
#289193 by t-Roy and The Smoking Section
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:32 pm
schmedidiah wrote:Yeah. I'm younger than you. Got into LZ as an entire catalogue that already existed and was gathering dust. Hair metal? Don't care. More talented players? Meh. I'd agree Houses Of The Holy is the last one that's a decent listen all the way through, but there's incredible material on the next 4 and that's my criteria.

I hated hair bands. My hair was always thin and started to go by age 30. And I look horrible in spandex!!!

But it was a real thing that every guy in a band had to deal with in the 80s. Zep was hanging on to the 70s by then.

Yes, there are some gems on those albums...but they had lost their superior dominance by then. Even a fading Zep was better than most 80s bands but it didn't matter. Time had gone by....